Chap243

Engine Removal Proceedure

2 hours ago, MonkeySeaII said:

"Funny story", my buddy bought a brand new 2017 Cobalt last year.  It has the VP 300 engine.  He lost most of this summer to have a brand new engine put in under warranty because there was some issue with the remote oil filter bracket on that particular engine.  Evidently it broke off while running 35 mph, dumping all of the oil into the bilge and toasting the engine!

Guy at the marina lost a fresh 350 rebuild on the shake-down cruise due to remote oil filter hoses rupturing.  Warranty did not cover it because he re-used the hoses from the old engine.

I wanted to remove mine after that!

14 hours ago, Chap243 said:

About 430 hrs. Have always used Mobil 1 . It has gone through almost 5 qts since May and about 50hrs.

Anybody know anything good or bad about Michigan Motors. They have a new longblock there for about $3500 deer.

Do a compression check on the engine while it's warm, then a leak down test. If the cylinders are within a few pounds and percentage leak down of each other, then you may just need to replace the intake valve stem seals which takes less than 3 hours if you have the tools. Do you get a puff of smoke upon initial start-up? If you do need an engine first figure out why the first one failed so soon, then think about one of these.  https://www.summitracing.com/search/brand/first-mate-marine  W

yeah I would be doing a little more investigation checking before spending time and treasure ona  Ill do it mine myself project.  Compression check done?  If so was a leak down done afterwards?  Might just need a top end.  I know people think they can save money just throwing parts or replacing things.  But in reality these projects wind up either costing more money than just doing some troubleshooting or they sit in the garage in pieces for months to years, then wind up as a my loss your gain sale on craigs. 

When I drove a tow truck, many boat owners here in SE Mass hired us to use the wrecker to lift the engine out. Was easy, even when a boat was in the water, along side the pier, or in their driveway.

8 hours ago, Chap243 said:

Its a VP 5.7 GXI, 320 hp

Try Jegs or Summit racing and look at their crate engines. That 5.7 is a no brainer in the racing circles and not too big of a price tag. Just be cognizant of compression ration and be ready to change the cam to a marine cam. Even bump it to a 383 / 6.2L SB for short bucks.

On ‎9‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 6:59 PM, Pops said:

Try Jegs or Summit racing and look at their crate engines. That 5.7 is a no brainer in the racing circles and not too big of a price tag. Just be cognizant of compression ration and be ready to change the cam to a marine cam. Even bump it to a 383 / 6.2L SB for short bucks.

I`ve thought about the 383 but was advised that I would have to get a new ECM and from what I have heard, that's no easy task.

To add to the puzzle, while draining the starboard exhaust, no water came out. I will go ahead and pull engine and try to better diagnose.