willbaker13

Winterize in TX or??

This is our first year of owning a boat in TX (Austin).  We've heard varying opinions on whether to winterize our boat or purchase an engine heater to handle the few days a year where the temp drops into the 30's.  Wanted to get peoples thoughts who aren't directly related to the marina or dealer.  The boat will be on a hydrohoist lift in a slip.  Any and all thoughts appreciated.

13 hours ago, willbaker13 said:

This is our first year of owning a boat in TX (Austin).  We've heard varying opinions on whether to winterize our boat or purchase an engine heater to handle the few days a year where the temp drops into the 30's.  Wanted to get peoples thoughts who aren't directly related to the marina or dealer.  The boat will be on a hydrohoist lift in a slip.  Any and all thoughts appreciated.

Unless you think you might be using it during the winter since TX winters are not as unforgiving as New England ones, I would winterize it.  But that's just me.  I think most of the TX guys on this forum use a bilge heater but I think it's because majority of them are Signatures with more systems to deal with such as generator, water heater etc., plus boats are in slips.  But to me, I would always be thinking about it and if power goes out etc.  A bowrider you really only have the engine, the toilet and the fresh water tank with its faucets.  If you think you're going to use it every once in a while during the winter, then it wouldn't be worth it of course.  Engine is pretty easy to fill up with antifreeze and so is draining the water tank, crapper and lines and putting a little pink stuff in them too, then you can chill for the winter. 

For a boat sitting on a lift, I would winterize. A few years ago we had a really hard winter in your next of the woods and there were many boats that had to have engines replaced for freezing. In my case the boat sits in the water year round and has less chance of freeze issues. Bilge heater, and cabin heat. I also drain the water systems and antifreeze the waste side.  I also live close and can check on the boat during cold snaps.

Same as MPM here, but on Lake Texoma.  Like he said, on a lift you have greater chance of freeze than being on the water (water insulates the boat to a small degree).  Simple to drain the block.  No need to fill with antifreeze if you drain properly and have a bilge heater.  Makes it easy to put plugs in and go for a ride in the winter if you wish.

But do whatever you're most comfortable with.  No need to be worrying about it all winter.  I live an hour away from the boat.  Will travel every couple weeks to check on it but more often if significant freezing is expected.

Thank you everybody.  Appreciate the feedback/thoughts.  My wife keeps saying that we will use the boat in the winter but realistically...

A little help on Winterization, please.  I'm in the Dallas area.

I also wanted to jump in to this because I'm new to the DIY side of winterizing.  Not new to boating.   My 2014 216 SSi has a volve 280hp.   Last year, the dealer took off all the easy to maintain drain plugs and pulled off the water hoses.  Each spring it super easy to put them back on and go.   

1) So my first question, all I need to do is pull all the small hand screw plastic plugs and pull the water hoses and I'm good to go as far as protecting the block, correct?

2) As for the gas that is in the boat.  The last time I used the boat was back in July.  It has about 1/2 - 2/3 full tank.    What is the best way to manage the gas that is in there?  (short of draining it,which the dealer did last year).   Do i put some STABIL and call it a day?   Do I need to sun it one more time after I put STABIL in?    I've always used SeaFoam as a general practice a couple of times during the operating season.   Advisable to put it in the tank now as well?    Or overkill?

3) Besides engine oil and outdrive oil (which I do in the spring), any other engine winterization preparations I should do?    In the spring, the last two seasons, I've been able to service the engine oil and the out-drive oil myself.  It takes a few hours, but it's easy to do and save a butt ton of time and expense.

Thank you!.    

1. Draining the engine should get the water out, but some like to run antifreeze thru the engine. The antifreeze does add extra protection.

2. I use Stabil Marine in my boat all the time and have never had a problem with the gas. There are two schools on tank full or empty, I fill mine before winter with  the correct amount of Stabil.

3. The school of thought is to change oil (engine & out drive) in the fall. It removes any moisture and acid that might be there. Having moisture in the out drive can be really expensive if there is a hard freeze.

Most of the time the Dallas area doesn't get cold enough, but a few years back it did and there was a lot of people that wound up with cracked blocks 

Thanks, mpm.    Yeah, I opted to fill my tank moments ago and put in STABIL.   BTS< What's the difference between regular STABIL and STABIL Marine?   

19 hours ago, cmp1960 said:

Thanks, mpm.    Yeah, I opted to fill my tank moments ago and put in STABIL.   BTS< What's the difference between regular STABIL and STABIL Marine?   

For one thing is is more concentrated. It was designed for marine use and will last up to 12 months.

willbaker13

We've been on Lk Travis/Sandy Creek Yacht Club for >12years.  Went from a Chap 210 to a 290 to a 330 and last year "jumped ship" to a SR Sundancer 400.  If you are going to leave your boat up on your lift "all winter" then by all means, winterize.  We have seen other boat owners just lower their boats back in the water and use a bilge heater since our weather is so "iffy" we try and take advantage of those nice weather days.  And since we are "full" in terms of lake level, we went out last Saturday......Just sayin'

https://www.searay.com/page.aspx/pageid/160944/pmid/366066/Sundancer-400.aspx

I'm in Dallas and I bought my 06 254 in 2016.   Since I trailer my boat, I winterized in 2016.  I only used the boat a few times in 2017, so I didn't winterize.  When I had it serviced in spring 2018 I had to repair some cracked fittings at a cost of around $500.  Decided to winterize this year again.