Sign in to follow this  
delaswim

2 alarm beeps every minute: FIXED!!!

I bought a 2003 Sunesta a couple weeks ago.  The boat had been winterized so we didn't drive it until today.  The previous owner told me he thought the depth finder alarm was beeping falsely, and had it disconnected when it was winterized.  The shop ran the computer and no codes came up, so they thought they fixed the annoying beeping.  

Well, they didn't.  The boat functions perfectly except for a double alarm beep every minute, on the minute.

Does anyone have a clue as to what I need to check to remedy this?

Thanks for the help!

Almost every sensor as it fails can cause that beep.

do a search for smartcraft beep and you will find the list of all the things that can set off that alarm - there are a lot.

Most common is IAC valve but not sure your vinatage has one.

Smart Craft alarms come in two flavors. Critical, and informational. The critical ones like overheat, over speed, low oil pressure, low drive oil, low sea water pump pressure and the like will sound the buzzer constantly so you can rule those out. It's a little tricky because if the engine EMC reads a sensor and it says the engine is hot, or the sea water pressure is actually low it will set an alarm. If the same sensor fails and gives the EMC a value that is outside of the theoretically possible range then the EMC ignores it and sets a two beep per minute alarm, and let you run home at speed. Your tech may need to ride with you with his scan tool plugged in. Either that our you buy your own Marine scan tool. The less critical ones like those from an engine sensor will give you two beeps a minute. The first question I have is your trim gauge indicating properly? That sender failure will set a 2 beep alarm, as will an IAC. The IAC usually fails all together and it sounds like your issue is intermittent like a failing trimsender or old style raw water pressure sender. I've attached the listing below and you need to concentrate on the 2 beeps per minute ones, but as Paul has stated, there are several and if you can't catch it in the act, then it may take a while to find.  W

Warning System

The engine warning system incorporates an audio alarm and, if installed, a SC1000 System Monitor. When the key switch is turned to the ON position, the audio alarm will momentarily activate to test the warning system. The alarm should sound once if the system is operable. This table is a guick guide, showing what warning output will accompany a fault.

Fault

SC1000

Audio Alarm

Available Power

Description

Cam Sensor

Yes

2 Bp/min

90%

Open or short, engine must be cranking to set this fault code.

ECT CKT HI

Yes

2 Bp/min

90%

Open

ECT CKT LO

Yes

2 Bp/min

90%

Short

ECT Coolant Overheat

Yes

Constant

6-100 %

Engine guardian overheat condition

EST 1-8 Open

Yes

2 Bp/min

NA

Coil harness wire open

EST 1-8 Short

Yes

2 Bp/min

NA

Coil harness wire short

Fuel Injector 1-8 Open

Yes

2 Bp/min

NA

Fuel injector wire open

Fuel Injector 1-8 Short

Yes

2 Bp/min

NA

Fuel injector wire short

IAC Output

Yes

2 Bp/min

90%

Only with rpm

Knock Sensor 1

Yes

2 Bp/min

90%

Alarm sounds for 20 seconds in NEUTRAL and indefinitely in gear.

Knock Sensor 2

Yes

2 Bp/min

90%

Alarm sounds for 20 seconds in NEUTRAL and indefinitely in gear.

Low Drive Lube Strategy

Yes

Steady Bp

0-100%

Low oil in sterndrive

Low Oil Pressure Strategy

Yes

Constant

0-100%

Low oil pressure strategy

MAP Sensor 1 Input High

No

2 Bp/min

90%

Short, no visual on SC1000

MAP Sensor 1 Input Low

No

2 Bp/min

90%

Open, no visual on SC1000

MAT Sensor

Yes

2 Bp/min

90%

Open or short in MAT circuit

NOTE: If any 5v sensor becomes shorted to ground the engine will not start. If the engine is operating when the short occurs the engine may stop operating and will not start.

Fault

SC1000

Audio Alarm

Available Power

Description

Oil PSI CKT Hi

Yes

2 Bp/min

90%

Short, defaults to 51.7 psi

Oil PSI CKT Lo

Yes

2 Bp/min

90%

Open, zero oil pressure

Overspeed

Yes

Constant

RPM Limit

Engine over rpm limit

Port EMCT CKT Hi

Yes

2 Bp/min

90%

Open, defaults to 32 degrees F (0 degree C)

Port EMCT CKT Lo

Yes

2 Bp/min

90%

Short, defaults to 32 degrees F (0 degree C)

Port EMCT CKT

Overheat

Yes

Constant

6-100%

Overheat condition, 212 degrees F (100 degrees C) limit

Sea Pump PSI Lo

Yes

Constant

6-100%

Low water pressure strategy, defaults to

43.4 psi

Sea Pump CKT Hi

Yes

2 Bp/min

90%

Open

Sea Pump CKT Lo

Yes

2 Bp/min

90%

Short

STB EMCT CKT Hi

Yes

2 Bp/min

90%

Open, defaults to 32 degrees F (0 degrees C)

STB EMCT CKT Lo

Yes

2 Bp/min

90%

Short, defaults to 32 degrees F (0 degrees C)

STB EMCT CKT

Overheat

Yes

Constant

6-100%

Overheat condition, 212 degrees (100 degrees C) limit

Steer CKT Hi

Yes

No

No

Open and short

TPS1 CKT Hi

Yes

2 Bp/min

90%

Short, signal to 5v+, engine will not start. Refer to data monitor screen.

TPS1 CKT Lo

Yes

2 Bp/min

90%

Open

TPS 1 Range Hi

Yes

2 Bp/min

90%

Above 4.8v, 994 counts

TPS 1 Range Lo

Yes

2 Bp/min

90%

Below 0.5v, 35 counts

Trim CKT Hi

Yes

No

No

Short, high range, visual warning on SC1000 only.

Trim CKT Lo

Yes

No

No

Open, low range, visual warning on SC1000 only.

5 VDC PWR Low

Yes

2 Bp/min

varies

Short any 5v+ to ground

NOTE: If any 5v sensor becomes shorted to ground the engine will not start. If the engine is operating when the short occurs the engine may stop operating and will not start.

Oh boy, looks like this isn't an easy problem to diagnose.  I'm guessing I'll have to have my mechanic come with me to trouble shoot.  Thanks for the information.

My mechanic immediately said it's the IAC valve.  I asked him if I need to further diagnose it with a test ride, and he said nope.  He that's the most common problem that causes the beep.  So I'm replacing it and the gasket just as soon as the parts arrive.  I really hope this does the trick.  I'll update when complete.

1 hour ago, delaswim said:

My setup is a 5.0 Merc with a Bravo 3 stern drive.

How many hours?

Hmmm. The IACs usually wait till around 300ish hours to fail. Does the engine idle OK? I know it may be starting to fail but my beeping started right when the boat wouldn't stay running at idle. My hours were in the 340s.

1 hour ago, delaswim said:

In terms of use it's young.  Only 106.  It's a 2003 model.

Back then Merc has a batch of raw water pressure sensors that were problematic, and have since changed the design. W

3 hours ago, delaswim said:

Oh boy.  I hope this doesn't turn into a rabbit hole; chasing the problem.  Are raw water pressure sensors easy to access?

It screws into the power steering cooler (water side of the heat exchanger) which sits at the back of the intake manifold, starboard side. Send a PM to Shepherd and he can tell you which one you have and which one is the current replacement.  W

Thanks to good advice and some sweat equity, I think I've fixed my beeps.  I replaced the iac valve, and cleaned the water pressure sensor over the weekend.  When I started the boat and let it run for about 10 minutes there were no beeps!  I'm taking it out Friday, but I believe at this point I'm in the clear.

Ok, so no so great news.  Replacing the iac valve eliminated the alarm beeps at idle speed and up to 3200 RPMs.  However, once I hit 3400 RPMs, the alarm beeps come back (2 every minute).  They don't quit until I throttle all the way down and restart the boat.  I went through this process a couple times with the same results.  No beeps untill 3400 RPMS.

Any ideas?  Thanks for the help.

Dont know it it is the same with your engines but I found out that there are some sticky codes that only are cleared when hooked up to a mercruiser computer. I have had a couple 02 sensor codes and then just recently a misfire code that had to be cleared with the computer. The tech told me that some codes clear themselves when the problem is corrected and some need the computer

My mechanic friend diagnosed it as a faulty water pressure sensor.  He also recommended that I replace the distributor cap and wheel.  So, $160 later I've ordered the parts.  We'll see if this fixes it, but I won't find out till next Spring since I winterized the boat this weekend.  

Till then...  stay warm!

We got the new water pressure sensor put on, and also the new wheel and rotor for the distributor cap.  Nothing changed.  It still beeps at around 33 mph/3200 rpm.

My friend is bringing over the laptop this week, so we'll see what error codes it spits out.  I'll let everyone know how this ends up.

9 hours ago, delaswim said:

We got the new water pressure sensor put on, and also the new wheel and rotor for the distributor cap.  Nothing changed.  It still beeps at around 33 mph/3200 rpm.

My friend is bringing over the laptop this week, so we'll see what error codes it spits out.  I'll let everyone know how this ends up.

Hope you guys get it figured out. That has to be annoying.

Come to think of it the sequence of beeps did change. It was two beeps every minute at 3200rpm, now it’s only one beep every minute at the same rpm’s.

Here's the latest:  With the laptop plugged in, the error code resulted in a bad Gear Indication Switch.  The switch had melted, so we checked over heating codes but nothing showed up.  $38 later on Amazon and I have a new part ordered.  I'm really hoping this does the trick.  My friend cleared the codes, so next trip on the water my boat will have a clean slate. 

I'll keep you updated.