Sign in to follow this  
Johnfrmcal

Signature 270 equivalent models

Newbie question and I hope it hasn’t been asked already...I like the layout of the 2007 Signature 270. From poking around it looks like in 2008 it became the Signature 250 but is essentially the same boat?  Can anyone tell me what year ranges/ model numbers were basically the same boat?  Also, does the dual helm seat rotate 180 degrees or is it fixed forward?  

We are getting close to retirement and one of our plans is to haul a pocket cruiser around the country and explore islands and new boating areas.  We are coming off a 44 foot express cruiser so we are a little spoiled by size, I’m looking for the largest 8’6” beam cruiser I can find with a layout that works for us. The Chaparrals mentioned in this post appear to have everything we’re looking for, and the convertible sunpad is kinda clinching it for us.  Now if the helm seat rotated to become part of the cockpit conversation then that would seal the deal. Anyways, thanks in advance for your help. 

1 hour ago, Johnfrmcal said:

Newbie question and I hope it hasn’t been asked already...I like the layout of the 2007 Signature 270. From poking around it looks like in 2008 it became the Signature 250 but is essentially the same boat?  Can anyone tell me what year ranges/ model numbers were basically the same boat?  Also, does the dual helm seat rotate 180 degrees or is it fixed forward?  

We are getting close to retirement and one of our plans is to haul a pocket cruiser around the country and explore islands and new boating areas.  We are coming off a 44 foot express cruiser so we are a little spoiled by size, I’m looking for the largest 8’6” beam cruiser I can find with a layout that works for us. The Chaparrals mentioned in this post appear to have everything we’re looking for, and the convertible sunpad is kinda clinching it for us.  Now if the helm seat rotated to become part of the cockpit conversation then that would seal the deal. Anyways, thanks in advance for your help. 

Check this link.  Richard W posted a great "cheat sheet" here.  Scroll down to find it.

we had a 2008 Sig 270 - LOA with Swimgrid was 29ft - Beam 8.6ft - we trailered EVERYWHERE ! it was as AWESOME boat!

we had searched to,  as some of the 270 from Prior yrs & after yrs are different lengths/beams

I believe the Single engine LOA 29ft/8.6ft Beam Sigs 270 were from 2006 (called a Sig 276 on 2006 model) to 2009

the helm seat does spin 180 so it can be used with table to seat 4 & cockpit conversation

3 hours ago, TexasPilot71 said:

Check this link.  Richard W posted a great "cheat sheet" here.  Scroll down to find it.

Wow thank you for that!  That is exactly what I needed!

3 hours ago, cj-orca said:

the helm seat does spin 180 so it can be used with table to seat 4 & cockpit conversation

Well there ya go, done deal!  Thanks for confirming that for me, nowhere on the web does it show a picture of the seat spun around, but just by the hefty bracket I can kind of see under the seat, I had a suspicion.

When we bought our very first cruising boat (Regal Commodore 292) I did a whole bunch of research just by digging through the internet.  I compared based on specs and pictures.  I do have to say, after owning that boat for 3 years before moving up, and comparing it to all similarly sized express cruisers, my wife and I both felt like we nailed the selection based on our needs.  We only moved up for some creature comforts and to spoil ourselves.  Now after years of cruising, I think we know what we want in a trailerable cruiser for what we will use it for, and I'm very aware of boat trade-offs, so with the help from you folks on the board I think I've really narrowed it down to the Chap 270 Sig (8'6").

Unless of course someone has some ideas on other models I should check out.  But the dual helm seat that converts to a table/cockpit seat, a sunpad that converts to a table/cockpit seat, the bench lounger to port, nice swim step, real toilet, available with heat/air and gennie...the 270 is looking like a winner....

John,

our boat would have been prefect for you - we had her PIMPED out too !

massive stereo system - tender with o/b on a davit system,  genny, heat/AC, added the Nu-teak decking in cockpit & swimgid, u/w lights ... she was a beauty !

hope you find something similar !!

Oh - and FYI  for the Seat to spin - you have to pull the knob forward - But WATCH out ... MASSIVE pinching hazard

it was my only real complaint with that spin helm chair .....

we actually put it on youtube for others to see as there are several steps to do so .... take a peek

so seat all way back...steering Wheel down

rotate 90 degrees

Pull seat all way forward

rotate final 90 degrees

37 minutes ago, cj-orca said:

Oh - and FYI  for the Seat to spin - you have to pull the knob forward - But WATCH out ... MASSIVE pinching hazard

it was my only real complaint with that spin helm chair .....

we actually put it on youtube for others to see as there are several steps to do so .... take a peek

so seat all way back...steering Wheel down

rotate 90 degrees

Pull seat all way forward

rotate final 90 degrees

Agree. Major pinching hazard. Ask me how I know!  Our helm seat has frozen up. Impossible to pull the knob out and spin. I haven’t tried REAL hard yet but one day I’ll try to lube it up and get it working again. Very awkward though. I really dislike how it operates. 

Thank for the heads-up.  I don't care how much trouble it is, it would be a LOT more trouble to design/fabricate/install bracketry to accomplish the same thing on a boat that didn't come with it.  I'll put up with some headaches and a strict process vs. having to re-invent the wheel.

I'm stil a little confused by the differences between a 2007 270 and a 2008 250 though.  The 250 seems to be about 500lbs lighter, and I can't really tell if they are different lengths...there is so much subterfuge going on with boat specifications that it makes it hard.  I wish companies would still publish lengths-at-waterline, it's very hard to compare models.

3 hours ago, Johnfrmcal said:

Thank for the heads-up.  I don't care how much trouble it is, it would be a LOT more trouble to design/fabricate/install bracketry to accomplish the same thing on a boat that didn't come with it.  I'll put up with some headaches and a strict process vs. having to re-invent the wheel.

I'm stil a little confused by the differences between a 2007 270 and a 2008 250 though.  The 250 seems to be about 500lbs lighter, and I can't really tell if they are different lengths...there is so much subterfuge going on with boat specifications that it makes it hard.  I wish companies would still publish lengths-at-waterline, it's very hard to compare models.

They made the 250 from 2007-2009 (3 model years), so I believe the 2007 270 is a different boat.  Haven't researched it, but I do know the 250 was made in those three years.

*Edit* Hang on...I think you misread something on that grid.  The 2007 270 is over 2,000lb heavier than the 250 and a foot longer.  Again, I haven't checked the Chaparral brochures to see how they're marketed, but you can download them here in the forums if you like.

*Edit 2* I see what you're looking at.  Richard has the 2007 250 lighter than the 2008 250.  I think that's an error on his part.  Same boat.

The Monterey looks really nice. I am kind of wondering why they don't have any kind of dash space for gps. Seems odd to me. Also, only 300 hp in that boat might make it a bit of a dog. 

But I do agree that the cockpit layout is really nice. 

You can have flush mount GPS on the 275SY, if it is ordered that way.

90633_2018_monterey_Cruisers_and_Sport_Y

Top speed per Monterey's website is 40-44 mph. Not bad for a 7200 lb. cruiser. I have been on one, and it

is powered just fine with 300hp.

just a thought if your going to haul around the country a boat of that magnitude will command a diesel pusher at minimum.  but with that aside I had a 02 265SSi.  Short of it not being an 8'6 beam the square footage and ammenties compared to a 270 was not that great.  The 265 is also 2k lbs lighter, going to be faster and better on gas.  Enclosed head, but nothing to cook on or fridge on that model.  but threre is also the 285SSI out there with a little more.  The Formula sunsport line in the 260 and 280 ss is about the same and the 280 is wide beam. 

Just an idea that I thought of as these other options will give roughly the same thing but a much easier boat to move around.

2 hours ago, Rip5 said:

You can have flush mount GPS on the 275SY, if it is ordered that way.

90633_2018_monterey_Cruisers_and_Sport_Y.

See that embedded cup-holder?  That's exactly what I'm missing on my helm.  Would love to have that and looking for something I can add that works well, doesn't stick out like a nuisance and blends nicely.  Major item on the list this winter.  The stock cup holders are way down low on the side panel with the speaker and a total PITA to reach.  Not ergonomic whatsoever.   

On ‎9‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 4:20 PM, cj-orca said:

John,

our boat would have been prefect for you - we had her PIMPED out too !

massive stereo system - tender with o/b on a davit system,  genny, heat/AC, added the Nu-teak decking in cockpit & swimgid, u/w lights ... she was a beauty !

hope you find something similar !!

She looked really nice, for sure.  Have you bought anything else since you sold it?

http://1_zps9eohbawu.jpg

John,

no haven't really - just a little 14ft RIB to bomb around diving & crabbing from .....

On 10/4/2018 at 5:46 AM, soldier4402 said:

just a thought if your going to haul around the country a boat of that magnitude will command a diesel pusher at minimum.  but with that aside I had a 02 265SSi.  Short of it not being an 8'6 beam the square footage and ammenties compared to a 270 was not that great.  The 265 is also 2k lbs lighter, going to be faster and better on gas.  Enclosed head, but nothing to cook on or fridge on that model.  but threre is also the 285SSI out there with a little more.  The Formula sunsport line in the 260 and 280 ss is about the same and the 280 is wide beam. 

Just an idea that I thought of as these other options will give roughly the same thing but a much easier boat to move around.

Just getting back to my own post, LOL!  Thanks for all the suggestions.  Tow vehicle is not an issue, we are picking up a RAM 3500 Diesel dually as we have a 5th wheel we want to wander around in as well.  I'm not as worried about weight as I am amenities, we are going to do some extended trips on a pretty small boat so I need it to be as comfortable as possible or the wife will tire of it REAL quick.  And I'm also not worried about gas consumption, we have a 27' bowrider with the big 425hp Volvo and I can load it up with people and it will get right on plane.  Last week 6 of us went to lunch on a buddy's boat, a 22' Monterey with a small block in it, and with us all sitting in the cockpit I swear I wasn't sure if it was going to get on plane...I was very surprised, our old 21' runabout with a 5.0 in it didn't struggle like that.  I didn't like that so I won't consider anything that doesn't have the big motor in it, and I'll happily (okay maybe not happily) pay the gas cost.  Also, I can't go over 8'6" beam, we are going to go all over the country and I don't want any towing hassles from a legality standpoint.

As I search, I'm finding that just about every major manufacturer has a boat similar to the Sig 270.  I'm going to compile a comprehensive list and then I'm going to cart my wife all over the place and make her actually walk onto and into each boat so we can get a real-life feel for their layouts.  Once we decide on a model, then I'll start the purchasing search.  I figure this will all take us a couple years so we will probably buy something pretty darn close to the time frame that we will actually be ready to use it.

I do have to say though, that the one big difference I'm seeing between the Chaparral and the other manufacturers is the way the helm swivels to join the cockpit seating.  Everyone else puts a small bench seat behind the helm seat.  From what I can see in pictures, what you give up with the other brands is possibly a table for the cockpit, and if they do have a table, the area looks to be fairly cramped.  That swiveling helm seat sure appears to open up the cockpit.  I believe it will add to the spaciousness, but the truth will be told when we actually get on each model and get a feel for them.  The other big item for comparison will be the headroom and spaciousness of the mid cabin.  Other than those two things, they are all pretty much cookie cutter in my opinion.

John,

just an after though - if you do look at used boats, I feel I should warn you about the XDP Outdrives Volvo had available, as I'm STILL seeing some of them out there on used cruisers for sale.

It was a Composite Outdrive, designed for Saltwater use (all Black) that unfortunately had SEVERAL ISSUES with Bellows ripping leading to Y-Pipes corrosion and a large PLETHORA of other problems. These out drives were available not only on Chaparrals - but on Sea Ray, Regal, Bayliner, Monteray - just about all Boat Manufacturers ... so please do your due diligence when searching :)

If you search XDP on this forum - and have a few days - you'll read up on the unfortunate horrors several peeps on this forum went through.

in Short steer WAY clear of any of these (or offer $20,000 under asking price and replace with one of Volvo's proven outdrives)

- the Helm seat swivel was a "Must Have" for us when we were looking at the "pocket" cruisers :) 

good luck !

3 hours ago, cj-orca said:

John,

just an after though - if you do look at used boats, I feel I should warn you about the XDP Outdrives Volvo had available, as I'm STILL seeing some of them out there on used cruisers for sale.

It was a Composite Outdrive, designed for Saltwater use (all Black) that unfortunately had SEVERAL ISSUES with Bellows ripping leading to Y-Pipes corrosion and a large PLETHORA of other problems. These out drives were available not only on Chaparrals - but on Sea Ray, Regal, Bayliner, Monteray - just about all Boat Manufacturers ... so please do your due diligence when searching :)

If you search XDP on this forum - and have a few days - you'll read up on the unfortunate horrors several peeps on this forum went through.

in Short steer WAY clear of any of these (or offer $20,000 under asking price and replace with one of Volvo's proven outdrives)

- the Helm seat swivel was a "Must Have" for us when we were looking at the "pocket" cruisers :) 

good luck !

Thanks, I knew about those drives already although I had kind of forgetten exactly which model they were, I've had SX and DPS-A drives and I'm a firm believer in them.  I get nervous about any drive that isn't tried and true.  I haven't read too much about the OceanX drives but even those I would research like crazy before buying a boat with an OceanX drive.  

OceanX drives are a-okay. They’re DP’s with an oil level/water sensor and also a water sensor in the bellows. In addition, they use a different anticorrosion coating that’s a bit more effective in salt water. Not at all similar to or a repeat of the XDP fiasco. The oil level/water sensor is a beneficial retrofit on any DP. It’s not a factory offering, but is easy and straight forward. Provides necessary and important information for big-water use.