BusterDouglas

Need Help on recent boat purchase

On 10/3/2018 at 11:42 AM, BusterDouglas said:
On 10/3/2018 at 8:58 AM, OCMD2 said:

Are you concerned about the lack of bottom paint because of where the boat had been used or about your use of the boat going forward?  A boat used in fresh water and trailered shouldn't need bottom paint.

Hi OCMD2,

The concern is if I decide to get a slip, it will have to be painted, so do I just get the blisters repaired and the bottom painted regardless. 

I'm a salt water guy, so those that slip in fresh water will have to weigh in on the necessity for bottom paint in fresh water.

Depending on the blister DEPTH AND AREA into the glass ?  Has a lot to do with protecting the bottom.  Me ?  If the blisters are deep enough ? Almost into the glass strands ? A long dry period just to be sure no colored mold starts up. Then a clear glass coat to reseal the bottom permanently. far better than the endless paint Which might almost cost the same.

Sand out the blisters with the correct GRIT disc And the rest of the  bottom at the same time. To hold the clear coat very well. It will look factory new.

EDit       The clear coat must be the same material as is all the bottom glass is.

9 hours ago, OCMD2 said:

I'm a salt water guy, so those that slip in fresh water will have to weigh in on the necessity for bottom paint in fresh water.

It is not the bottom paint that protects the glass, it is the moisture barrier that does. All the bottom paint will do is to help stop anything from sticking to it. All you get in fresh water is green slim and moss, the amount that you will get depends on the clarity of the water, and toilet bowl cleaner will that if off.  Denny.

On 9/28/2018 at 4:26 PM, BusterDouglas said:

Hello Everyone,

I am new to boating, this is my very first boat and first time actually driving a boat to be honest, I began my research into boat manufacturers, engines, outdrives etc.

I had narrowed it down to Chapparal with a min. 350 Mag MPI and Bravo 3, but I had no idea what length I would feel comfortable in to start with.  The only stipulation was that it had to have a head for the wife.

I found a 2002 Chaparral 260 Signature with the 350 Mag MPI  with 450 hours and Bravo 3. It has a built in generator, windlass, Heating and A/C, came with a Lowrance Structure scan/GPS, it was on a trailer and was listed for $35,000 CAD as the owner needed a quick sale,  I put down a deposit with conditions of marine survey and sea trial. Here is a link to the entire marine survey.  https://www.dropbox.com/s/0czpl50tt61numa/boat survey.pdf?dl=0

After the marine survey came back  with no MAJOR issues,  I offered $30,000 CAD knowing it may need some Gel Coat repair to fix the popped blisters, so he accepted my offer.

Boat will be kept out of water on trailer and in fresh water only.

Now the reason for me writing this

I noticed a small vertical crack along the forward corner of each of the  engine mounts that didnt seem to come up in the marine survey. 

Should I fill the small blisters  or just leave it as per marine survey and just keep an eye on it? 

It has no bottom paint and this concerns me.

Do I clean this up boat up and try to get what I paid for it or not panic, leave it as is because if something structurally was to go wrong it would have occurred by now?  

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

What I tell everyone is, join a yacht club. Don't waste your money on a marina. Yacht Clubs have well seasoned boaters that you can learn from. Forums are all well and good, but nothing like seating down, talking and seeing how things are done in person.

Also take a U.S.C.G. course.   

So it is time to winterize and I have successfully done the fresh water system and A/C with -50 non toxic antifreeze with the -100 for the engine and alternator on its way.

I am changing the oil and filter in the Genny tonight and tomorrow I plan to fog engine and this is where I am lost.  I know a lot of people use a 5 gallon gas tank with 2 stroke oil and some stabilizer and run that through the intake before the fuel filter. (I hope that is correct)  I am not sure I am comfortable doing this (dangerous) and wondering if there is a simpler and effective way to do it.  I have also read to put a few ounces of 2 stroke oil in the fuel filter and then run it for a few minutes. Would I do this with a new fuel filter I plan to change or use the old one to do it? (I am in Canada and this is fresh water boat only if that makes any difference)

I also read about fogging spray and to remove the flame arrestor and spray into throttle intake, but unsure if this will do any good on an MPI.

Separate issue......

Also I have noticed that the voltage meter spikes up to over 16 when I rev the engine but sits at 13 when idle.  I have bought a new alternator as a spare incase it is the voltage regulator gone in it.  (https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00KGIDNFK/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1)

i also have the ProMariner Protech 4 which I hear is garbage and doesnt alternate between batteries that need charging.  I assume it is the alternator causing the overcharge?

Sorry for my lack of inexperience and I thank everyone for all their help. I have learned so much is such a short time

15 hours ago, BusterDouglas said:

So it is time to winterize and I have successfully done the fresh water system and A/C with -50 non toxic antifreeze with the -100 for the engine and alternator on its way.

I am changing the oil and filter in the Genny tonight and tomorrow I plan to fog engine and this is where I am lost.  I know a lot of people use a 5 gallon gas tank with 2 stroke oil and some stabilizer and run that through the intake before the fuel filter. (I hope that is correct)  I am not sure I am comfortable doing this (dangerous) and wondering if there is a simpler and effective way to do it.  I have also read to put a few ounces of 2 stroke oil in the fuel filter and then run it for a few minutes. Would I do this with a new fuel filter I plan to change or use the old one to do it? (I am in Canada and this is fresh water boat only if that makes any difference)

I also read about fogging spray and to remove the flame arrestor and spray into throttle intake, but unsure if this will do any good on an MPI.

I don't bother with fogging in the real sense TBH and what I try to do is use up as much fuel before hauling the boat out and then put in a bottle of stabile, change the fuel filter and fill up the tank with Sunoco premium and run the engine for a few minutes once the oil is changed also.  Others will fog and do all that but I don't with my VP.  If you search the forum with your engines and "fogging," I'm sure you'll land a few threads that do into great detail on that process instead of waiting for someone to respond here.

Also I have noticed that the voltage meter spikes up to over 16 when I rev the engine but sits at 13 when idle.  I have bought a new alternator as a spare incase it is the voltage regulator gone in it.  (https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00KGIDNFK/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1)

i also have the ProMariner Protech 4 which I hear is garbage and doesnt alternate between batteries that need charging.  I assume it is the alternator causing the overcharge?

Probably.  But at least that sounds like your batteries are ok if they're at 13 volts.  So I would just keep an eye on it for now and early in the spring when you're ready to launch.  Don't forget to take the batteries out so they don't drain OR, if you're storing the boat in your garage, you can plug in your shore power cord to periodically charge them up and keep them topped out.

Sorry for my lack of inexperience and I thank everyone for all their help. I have learned so much is such a short time

No need to apologize.  You're doing an amazing job.

So I have already filled up on premium 93 octane and added a full bottle of Sta-bil and have run the engine for 15 min.  I will search and read up more on forums for the 350 Mag MPI fogging suggestions as you said.

I plan to test the voltage again this weekend and will post my results. New alternator will arrive today. 

Thanks for all your help.