chapblue

Thinking of upgrading order with dealer for H2O 23?

Bought a 2018 leftover H2O 21 with Volvo SX 240 hp. Nice boat not exactly the color or interior I wanted but looks good. Stealth grey ext with black interior. I 'd probably prefer red or elec blue ext with the new triple color sterling interior. Plus I've always wanted a 300 hp (probably the Volvo DP) and have read great things about the duoprop system being so nice. The extra room inside wouldn't hurt but not a super high priority yet. Might be nice for cocktail cruises when I retire. The lake we are on now isn't real big, but have considered selling camp and buying on a  bigger lake. Got a good deal on the leftover and would have to order the 23 so could be as much as 20 deer more. I know if I add a ss prop and smart tabs to the 21 I can get it probably over 50 mph. But the roar of a 300 hp V8 would be nice. Any thoughts on a crazy man's dream.

if you're already having second thoughts about the boat you have and want more I would probably go with getting more

( I forgot to mention if you already bought the other boat Phillbo is right, you are going to take one heck of a hit financially)

Thanks for your comments, they are very helpful. I've bought it on paper but haven't taken it yet (not till next May). Would only do it if he'd put all the money towards the more expensive boat. Still haven't quite made up my mind though. Again thanks for your advice.

Mercruiser 5.0L     I have had them for over decades. They were / are always quiet.  No problems. Any problem ? I caused it thru being lazy or careless.

Backing into mud / sand.  Running into diapers. Hitting a large piece of submerged wood.

Engine & Alpha drives are trouble free...………… I am not

ALL the STOCK exhausts were very QUIET.

You should NEVER BUY a 5.0L

Why would he give you special treatment ?  He needs profit on every sale.

So then you will need to sell your camper on the small lake and buy a house on a large lake in order to garner the additional utility of the 23 foot boat which If I understand correctly necessitates a replacement/trade of your current 21 foot H20 for which you have already purchased though not taken delivery?  The 23 foot boat then will add additional HP as well as more space for your cocktail cruises.  I've got some bad news for you....you are in the tritoon demographic.  I saw some nice used/two year old tritoons this weekend with a single 300hp for as little as 60k.  

First off your going to eat 20% on your boat plus the 20k on the new, if your ok with that, then I guess that's your decision, not dogging you as Ive done with things myself.. With that said there is no roar on a small block v8 without exhaust even then, kind of silly, not being a jerk just being honest. 

If it were me I would evaluate exactly where I am boating and what lake I'm going to live on camp on etc, then go from there.  If I'm going to take the depreciation hit and spend another 20k, which all in all your probably going to be talking somewhere between 35-50k in either loss or new spending, Id probably actually go more, get myself into a 24-25ft boat.

Soldier is spot on.  Maybe more introspection was needed before pulling the trigger on the smaller H20 but you are here now so we are all ears and advice.  My 300hp V8 sounds nearly the same as a 220hp v6 from the helm as I don't have captains call and even then, small blocks don't sound nearly as throaty as big blocks and further, significant others don't seem to love the sound as much as some of us limiting your open exhaust time anyway.  Also, while I blow past 50mph with ease, it is rare that I ever even go 3/4 throttle and mostly putter at less than 10mph saving the speed for the PWC's.    The overall theme being those novelties quickly wear off.  

Another idea might be to take your boat onto the lake you plan on spending time, evaluate what you like and don't like, see what others are driving around. And really evaluate what you want to do.  Ive said this before, boats are not multi purpose as bad as you want them to be or as bad as a company wants to promote them.  Some boats are good at one thing and one thing only and suck at others, ski boats, bass boats, etc.  Some boats are kind of good at things but great at nothing, run about's, combo boats etc.  Unless you live on a very large lake or great lake, anything over 50 frankly will never use.  Do you want to do water sports?  IMVHO I wouldn't buy anything under 23 ft, a 21 foot boat these days is like an 18 footer of 20 years ago, and even then you would be lucky.  Id want a boat that comfortably seat 6-8 people that I could throw a few tubes out and few rods if I wanted.  If I wanted to get super serious then Id buy a boat made for that. 

Thank you all once again. The dealer cancelled our first deal of buying the 2018 leftover 21 H2O and is putting every cent of that money towards the ordering of a brand new 2019 23 H2O in the color  and with all the options I wanted including the Volvo V-8 Gen V 2.14 DP 300 HP.

3 hours ago, chapblue said:

Thank you all once again. The dealer cancelled our first deal of buying the 2018 leftover 21 H2O and is putting every cent of that money towards the ordering of a brand new 2019 23 H2O in the color  and with all the options I wanted including the Volvo V-8 Gen V 2.14 DP 300 HP.

SWEET!