Sign in to follow this  
jdsdls05

Stainless Manifolds and tubes

Just wondering if anyone has switched, on my list for the winter is new manifolds the saltwater has taken its toll.  I know they cost more but just wondering about performance gain and longevity?   Motor is an 8.1 Volvo Penta

Excellent question and what a coincidence as I was thinking the same exact thing yesterday after pulling into the slip and flushing the engine.  And I have the same engine.  I'm changing a few OEM pulleys to ss ones because the original ones are starting to rust and the black paint is peeling and flaking all over the place and never thought of asking the VP dealer about the manifolds and especially risers.  Very curious to find out.

No Money matters but Stainless Marine makes a set and I know a lot of performance boaters use them I think they are actually have an aluminum jacket. from the website.

Big Block Exhaust Manifolds Risers / Tailpipes
Our Marine Engine Parts-Big Block Exhaust Manifolds Systems feature state of the art design
with single wall internal casting that is enclosed in a press formed
aluminum jacket creating a fully water cooled manifold. A highly polished
stainless steel risers comes standard as well as bolts, gaskets and fittings

11 hours ago, jdsdls05 said:

No Money matters but Stainless Marine makes a set and I know a lot of performance boaters use them I think they are actually have an aluminum jacket. from the website.

Big Block Exhaust Manifolds Risers / Tailpipes
Our Marine Engine Parts-Big Block Exhaust Manifolds Systems feature state of the art design
with single wall internal casting that is enclosed in a press formed
aluminum jacket creating a fully water cooled manifold. A highly polished
stainless steel risers comes standard as well as bolts, gaskets and fittings

lol...might be juuuuuuuust a little bit out of the budget lmfao!  http://www.stainlessmarine.com/product-category/exhaust-manifolds-systems/exhaust-manifolds-systems-big-block-volvo-8-1-496-replacement/

Hard to tell though if the $3,300 is X2 or for the entire kit.  If it is the entire kit, that might be a consideration.

I guess the best way to figure out is total cost for each and life span of each.  If they want 6 grand for a set, Id opt to replace the iron ones 3-4 times first. 

Why would anybody use 2 different metals in a very hot SALT water system.  The corrosion risk & expansion rates are not good. Corrosion of Aluminum in hot salt water is not a good idea.

All stainless with WELDED joints is the correct way.     S S & Aluminum ??  You better not ever fire up DRY & rev it a few times.

On ‎10‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 7:52 AM, jdsdls05 said:

Just wondering if anyone has switched, on my list for the winter is new manifolds the saltwater has taken its toll.  I know they cost more but just wondering about performance gain and longevity?   Motor is an 8.1 Volvo Penta

So are you doing them this year?  Have you decided anything further on the SS ones? 

Do yours look anything like mine?

HgjEFZl.jpg