Vito

Can I tow it? PLEASE HELP

Hello,

I'm getting a 2002 Sunesta 263 and have a Jeep Grand Cherokee 4x4 V6 with towing capacity of 6200 lbs. Weight with on NADA is 4600 lbs with motor plus about 75 gallons fuel/water, so that's another 525 lbs. That totals 5,125 lbs. I'm above on towing capacity but want to be sure I'm not missing anything. Can I tow it? PLEASE HELP

Thank you!

How much does the trailer weigh? IMO opinion I strongly recommend you do not tow with your vehicle. Your going to be right at the max weight or over. What condition are your brakes and brake lines in, any rust? Just sounds like not a good idea. I would even be a little weary with a half ton truck. That's just me though.

Nope. Forgot to figure in the 12 to 1500 pounds for the trailer. Wheelbase is waaay to narrow for a 26 footer anyway. I wouldn't even do it if you had the 5.7 in that thing. I have a Ram 1500 with the 5.7 and I've accepted the fact that I'm pretty much limited to a 23 or 24 foot boat, max.

Don't think so. I had a similar boat, `02 243 and towed it with a 1500 Silverado rated at 7500 lbs. It was scary to tow. When towing, it felt like the boat pushed the truck around and when going uphill, the transmission was always downshifting and reving the engine up high. It would have eventually tore the truck up.

I eventually replaced the 1500 with a 2500 when I purchased my 264. It made a world of difference. I think you will need something beefier than you Jeep Cherokee.

No. The legal trouble you could get into if you got into a wreck and they figured out you were towing over the vehicles limit is huge. 

I would say you can probably pull it, but I wouldn’t recommend it. 

On 10/9/2018 at 9:23 AM, Chap243 said:

Don't think so. I had a similar boat, `02 243 and towed it with a 1500 Silverado rated at 7500 lbs. It was scary to tow. When towing, it felt like the boat pushed the truck around and when going uphill, the transmission was always downshifting and reving the engine up high. It would have eventually tore the truck up.

I eventually replaced the 1500 with a 2500 when I purchased my 264. It made a world of difference. I think you will need something beefier than you Jeep Cherokee.

I had the same issue last year, but with an f150. Stepped up to a 250 and I can barely tell it’s there now. That came in handy as I had to quickly stop once while towing this season, I didn’t flinch in the 250. If I was in my old truck, that would have been ugly. 

Don't forget, you need to count anything you put into your jeep. Also, the gear you put into the boat, lines, fenders, spare parts, GPS, tools, drinks and more drinks.

With the weight of the trailer, you will most likely be over capacity.  occasional short distances may be ok.  make sure the trailer brakes work, lots of times they dont.   if that boat has a big block, add another 200 lbs.  if you have a tranny problem and you try to warranty it, it may not be covered if they find out.

You can, but not recommended. You will be over the rated tow capacity of the Jeep. My 220SSi weighs 6000lbs, including the trailer and full fuel, so a Sunesta 26 is likely at least 1000 lbs more.

Towing is one thing. Stopping is another...

brick