Sign in to follow this  
Fishstick

Our Upcoming First Weekend on the Hook

Hi,

We are finally ready to spend the weekend in a cove. I had time this past weekend to take the ski boat out and scout out some good spots.

Reading through some old threads causes me to ask a few things:

1) my plan was to find a cove (fresh water) where the water was glass, virtually no wind, but after reading some threads, it seems that you want some wind to move the air around when using the genset. Since we will be using the genset, do I need to find an area with a little breeze?

2) is there an optimum, or preferred depth for anchoring? I was thinking the 15' range, but wanted to check as this will be our first time.

Thanks in advance!

Assume you'll swing 360 degrees around the anchor unless you also deploy a stern anchor.  Make sure you have enough water all the way around that anchor point so you don't swing into a shallow.  Also make sure the shoreline and other boats are clear of that full radius.

Deploy enough scope to get a 7:1 ratio of rode to depth.  For example: you're in 7' of water, and it's 3' from the waterline to your cleat, you'll want to deploy a minimum of 70' of rode (line+chain). 

Id opt for a calm anchoring vs finding wind to park in.  Ensure your equipment is operating properly and you have the proper gas alarms on the boat.  Wouldn't over think it.  Be smart but its not like people are dying in droves sleeping on boats.

You may not need 7 to 1. Chain is key in making your anchor hold. The more  the better. Also know your bottom 

I will pick on me, i have a 290 with 30 feet of chain.  I am in 25 feer of water and my rode is about 60 to 70 feet with 4 to 6 knot winds and 6" to 1 foot waves. The bottom is mud.  I never had a problem. If i used 7 or 8 feet of chain, the anchor would never hold.

Or even better, if the bottom was sand. I would need about 80 to 100 feet of rode.

Anyways, set your anchor drag alarm!!