highhplowiq

Snap-In carpet question

I've got a 2005 256 SSI and I'm replacing the snap-in carpet.  I work in the textiles industry and have a contact with a marine carpet company that is going to do it for me.  They've requested my existing snap-in carpet to use as templates.  However, I am missing the piece that covers the ski locker hatch.  Does anyone have a template file, CAD file, old piece from the same boat or dimensions or anything I could give them for mockup?  My last resort will be to use cardboard I guess but I figured I would ask here first.  Thanks

I would think making the carpet from your old pieces and/or a template would be the way to go since the snaps are not in the exact same spot on each build.

My bow cover snap locations were off quite a bit. Send the carpets. Make a cardboard & hold it in place. Then tap over each snap to get a dent.     I would send a bag of the snaps you want installed in each carpet............  Make sure all the snaps work o k.

Snaps need to be installed AFTER you get the new carpet back.  You lay the carpet out in the boat, start installing snaps from one end to the other. Using a pro quality snap tool, like a Hoover, is critical for setting snaps. 

Use cardboard to template the missing section. 

brick

3 minutes ago, brick said:

Snaps need to be installed AFTER you get the new carpet back.  You lay the carpet out in the boat, start installing snaps from one end to the other. Using a pro quality snap tool, like a Hoover, is critical for setting snaps. 

Use cardboard to template the missing section. 

brick

+1 S.S. If you mark the spots and take it to a place that does MARINE canvas work they can put them in for you. Denny

Buy the tool and do them yourself. That way if you have a snap fail in the future (likely) then you can pop in a new one. The whole trick is to make sure you buy the proper snaps made for marine carpet as they will be stainless steel which I prefer, or brass. They also need to have a 1/4" long shank for use with marine carpet, and not the shorties used for canvas.  W

Use a piece of clear Mylar to make a template of the ski locker. Similar to a Seadek template material.

1 hour ago, Chap243 said:

Use a piece of clear Mylar to make a template of the ski locker. Similar to a Seadek template material.

You're the only one who understood exactly what the OP was asking LOL!  All the other fellas are talking about the snaps and how to put them in when all he wanted to know was how to get the template for just the piece on the ski locker.  :D 

Try RNR Marine.  They have canvas and carpet patterns for most Chaparral.  I replaced my canvas with them, thought about the carpet but didn't do it.  You will have to buy the tool and install the snaps yourself.

http://rnr-marine.com/