rjbergen

Hurricane Michael Photos and Discussion

Hurricane Michael made landfall yesterday near Mexico Beach, FL as a Category 4 hurricane with 155 MPH winds. It was the strongest hurricane ever to make landfall on the Florida panhandle; the third most intense hurricane, by pressure, to make landfall on the U.S.; and the sixth strongest hurricane, by wind speed, to make landfall on the U.S.

This was an extreme storm and extensive damage is left behind. I hope people evacuated in time and that the death toll remains low. Property can be fixed and replaced, but lives cannot be restored.

Let's post up pictures and stories from the storm. Hopefully we can all learn something about storms, storm preparations, and recovery after a storm.

The U.S. Navy had a ship riding out the storm in one of the bays near Panama City, FL. What a way to ride out a hurricane! The ship is 262 feet at the waterline with a beam of 72 feet. Not a small ship, but also not a big ship. It's an interesting vessel for sure, you should check out the Wikipedia link in the quote below.

The 950-ton Sea Fighter (FSF-1) is at double anchor in the bay, “engines running and nose to the wind” with a minimal crew aboard, Office of Navy Research spokesman Robert Freeman told USNI News on Wednesday.

Calling @brick to check in and any other members from the Southeast.

Hurricane Michael 1.jpg

Hurricane Michael 2.jpg

Hurricane Michael 3.jpg

19 hours ago, rjbergen said:

This was an extreme storm and extensive damage is left behind. I hope people evacuated in time and that the death toll remains low. Property can be fixed and replaced, but lives cannot be restored.

155 mph is no joke.  My 1880 house would lift up in one piece and then break up in a million shreds and disappear.  These things frighten the living daylights out of me and we have occasional, brutal nor'easters up this way and howling wind gusts that scare us half to death.  Can't imagine a hurricane.  That Mexico Beach was just flattened out I really feel for those people there.  I think the count is 3 dead so far.

19 hours ago, rjbergen said:

The U.S. Navy had a ship riding out the storm in one of the bays near Panama City, FL. What a way to ride out a hurricane! The ship is 262 feet at the waterline with a beam of 72 feet. Not a small ship, but also not a big ship. It's an interesting vessel for sure, you should check out the Wikipedia link in the quote below.

Experimental littoral floating helo pad lol.  That thing is awesome.  Right along the lines of all the newly built stealth ships like this favorite of ours the Zumwalt.  This thing is like a billion $ and looks like it has a Danforth windlass anchor LOL.  That anchor must drop right onto the bulbous bow which is very strange that they designed it that way.  Maybe should've had a pair of port or starboard anchors instead.

1200px-USS_Independence_(LCS-2)_at_Naval

I'm currently driving down to Fort Myers. We watched the path and determined we'd pass behind it before reaching CLT.  We actually hit the extreme northwestern side of precipitation with wind and poor visibility. Lasted about 15 minutes and as we passed Beckley  it was fine. Somewhere north of Statesville on I-77 the skies cleared and had a beautiful sunset followed by the moon and Jupiter. 

Watching the video coverage this morning showing amazing conditions the second it came ashore at the gas station. Blew my mind. Never saw that extreme before. 

We are currently north of RSW on 75s. Sunny and 90. Good luck to all in the path.