Ed p

Windless anchor for a 276 ssx

I'm looking to install a electric windless anchor unit in my 2007 276 SSX can anyone recommend the manuf/model the factory would have installed that will fit and work properly?

thankd ed

On ‎10‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 5:14 AM, Ed p said:

I'm looking to install a electric windless anchor unit in my 2007 276 SSX can anyone recommend the manuf/model the factory would have installed that will fit and work properly?

thankd ed

Unfortunately none of the 276 models (except the Signature class) came with the electric windlass option.  The reason is because they (Chaparral) opted to install the bow ladder in the anchor locker instead, and it's too difficult for them (LOL) to make it work with both.  So typically you will never see any of their boats equipped with a windlass and a bow ladder which is why you and I (and other 276 owners) only have the hand-held anchor and bow ladder. 

If you don't want to keep the bow ladder and don't mind getting rid of it for a windlass, then it's a super easy installation you can easily DIY.  You just mount a conventional, over the bow roller with a windlass motor/gipsy on top of the bow and over the anchor locker hatch and in through to the locker.  You'll have to bolt down the locker hatch so it holds the pull on the windlass, though, and that's why you have to get rid of the bow ladder.  There was a fellah here a few years ago @CHAPPYPETE who did exactly that to his 276ssx. 

If you want to keep the bow ladder as well as have a windlass, that is a lot more complicated with very small tolerances to fit the two and can only be done with a bow roller plate mounted on the bow hull keel and not over the top of the bow like the conventional ones.  But that is exactly what yours truly will be doing in a few weeks, so stay tuned for that.  Might have to patent the idea and modification.  :)

Great that's exactly what I want to do.

save the ladder access and cut a hole thru the bow keel and mount a windless below the ladder

if u find the correct sized windlass device please let me know 

I also have a large chromed plate hook connector mounted on the bow keel that the anchor might rub against as it is brought in for bow protection

thanks! Ed

8 minutes ago, Ed p said:

Great that's exactly what I want to do.

save the ladder access and cut a hole thru the bow keel and mount a windless below the ladder

if u find the correct sized windlass device please let me know 

I also have a large chromed plate hook connector mounted on the bow keel that the anchor might rub against as it is brought in for bow protection

thanks! Ed

In our situation, there is also the drum windlass option which I think is actually perfect and more likely to be a better option than a conventional gipsy windlass.  The OP in this thread below is doing exactly that on his 97 Sunesta and there's a pretty good discussion on that thread about that drum system.  There's also a different option for the bow roller plate instead of the one I bought which goes on the newer 277's and 287's I believe.  I've also already bought everything from thaat bow roller plate to the windlass anchor to all the electrical cables etc. and it would cost me too much to change it to a drum, even though I really would prefer that but it's kinda too late.  But take a look at this thread and you'll learn a lot of very cool things that you might find handy, especially the video I posted of an installation that is almost identical to what you and I need to do to keep our bow ladder as well.  I'll post the video here anyway, but definitely check out the discussion on the drum windlass.  You might like that better than the horizontal one.

Here is the windlass of our 276 SSX with the bow ladder removed to make it work. The windlass is a Lewmar V700.

image.png.5381fd898262559394e0ddfeab6d7aa3.png

That looks nice!!

How much cuttng did you have to do to the bow for the roller?

14 hours ago, N2SUN said:

Here is the windlass of our 276 SSX with the bow ladder removed to make it work. The windlass is a Lewmar V700.

image.png.5381fd898262559394e0ddfeab6d7aa3.png

Looks good.  Which battery bank did you power off of, house or engine? 

12 minutes ago, Hatem said:

Looks good.  Which battery bank did you power off of, house or engine? 

They told me to power off of my start battery.  Denny.

2 hours ago, Denny said:

They told me to power off of my start battery.  Denny.

That's what the mechanic who did that installation in the video above did as well.  His theory is that engine is always running when you use the windlass so it's always charging from the alternator, but that same principle applies to the house batteries too.  I think if one's setup is like the boat in the video with probably only one house battery, then that's the better option.  If you have 2 or more house batteries, that might be the better way to go as you have a larger bank to feed off. 

Food for thought.  With one motor, a single alternator.  With two motors, two alternators.  Etc.  Perhaps this has become tomato-tamato.  All batteries charge the same way; via the alternator.  Either way will work.  If the desire is an OEM consistent installation, call a dealer.  I'm sure they'll know and state how Chaparral does it (assuming you don't have a wiring diagram for the boat in question).  It seems wire size, fusing and proper negative and bonding connections are more important.  Again, food for thought.

42 minutes ago, Curt said:

It seems wire size, fusing and proper negative and bonding connections are more important.  Again, food for thought.

Those are certainly important factors.  So when I ordered my entire setup from Anchorlift (same brand as Denny's), the owner requested all the information on the boat and exact distances from the location of the batteries to the helm and from the helm to the bow where the windlass would be installed so they can customize all the wiring.  He also asked for where I wanted to put the solenoid because he recommended it be placed in a dry location (in this case it's going in the helm storage).  He also asked for the exact boat model and LOA to select the correct anchor size.  So I sent them a schematic of the boat and all the measurements and they fabricated all the wiring with the in-line fuse, end connecters, solenoid, windlass and the exact size stainless steel plow anchor.  It also came with a complete wiring schematic like most do.  Now it's just a matter of gettin' 'er done.  I don't remember if the wiring diagram lists which bank of batteries to connect to, but I'll check it.

The fact that I have everything and it's ready to go is probably why going with the drum windlass alternative (while I think it would've been my preference now that I found out about it) is not going to happen.  Unless...unless the anchor locker just doesn't end up being large enough to accommodate the entire length of chain and rode that I want/have and it gets all tangled up.  Then we might have to consider taking a hit on the horizontal windlass and go with the drum so the entire line is spooled.  That will suck, fo sho.

The windlass was originally installed by Legendary Marine in Destin.  It is powered from the house battery with the control relay located in the dry near the anchor rode storage area.  The circuit breaker is located in the rear power panel where the battery switches are located (see pic) and the anchor rode is stored below the windlass in the original anchor storage area.  I am using 15' chain with 150' rope through a Lewmar V700.  I upgraded from the original windlass this past spring.  Access to straighten out the rope can be made from above through the lid opening.  I have never had issues with rope tangles but again I'm located on the Tennessee River and 80' is probably the longest length I've used.

677687719_IMG_96281.jpeg.35d3e6fa19b1223ea8f8aaf91e8aee41.jpeg

Only connect to the house battery.  If available.  Next would be battery # 2.   Last choice is battery #1.

I never put anything on battery #1.

This is a great thread!! I've been wondering if we could do something on our 264. I don't forsee us ever using the front ladder but we sure do use the anchor. Now I have some research to do... first being, in the pictures it looks like the anchor fluke end is right up against the gel coat. I'm assuming that just LOOKS that way?

Hi all just saw a 2018 chaparral ss looked to be a 26 ft (no model no. ) at a restaurant dock yesterday.If had a factory mount windlass thru the bow keel below the top anchor door . THe boat did not have a front ladder but it could have as the windlass came up thru low enough.

has a great chromed entry plate we need to talk to factory for specs on these parts. I'll send pictures next

ed

Hi all just saw a 2018 chaparral ss looked to be a 26 ft (no model no. ) at a restaurant dock yesterday.If had a factory mount windlass thru the bow keel below the top anchor door . THe boat did not have a front ladder but it could have as the windlass came up thru low enough.

has a great chromed entry plate we need to talk to factory for specs on these parts. I'll send pictures next

ed

1 hour ago, Ed p said:

has a great chromed entry plate we need to talk to factory for specs on these parts.

Wasn't very easy (nor cheap) for me to get it.  Had to ask several times and be really pushy about it.  But this was a couple of years ago, might be easier to get now but not sure.  This is stainless steel.

QqhIK2d.jpg

thats the part  good to know u got one it looked great and is made proper to bring the anchor it the small space below the ladder lid

good luck on ur install

ed

20 minutes ago, Ed p said:

thats the part  good to know u got one it looked great and is made proper to bring the anchor it the small space below the ladder lid

good luck on ur install

ed

Thanks, Ed.  I will keep you posted.  I ordered that bow front roller from Joe @ Cecile Marine NJ.  He's on this forum and they have almost all the Chaparral parts.  He's very helpful and that is the bow roller plate for the 277 SSX.  Not sure of the exact part number, but it's pretty much the only one for that type of roller that Chaparral uses so it would be pretty easy for them to know what you're asking for, then you should be able to order it from them.

This style is not as common as the ones mounted on top of the bow, but you see them on many boats.  Here's a couple at our marina.

Dlr5UR1.jpg

sutdMKx.jpg

As far as the windlass itself, it seems most are using the Lewmar V700 like N2SNUN and also the guy in that video used.  It's a compact windlass so it would fit nicely in that small anchor locker of ours.  I went with the Barracuda 600 from Anchorlift which is the same brand that Denny used and I liked it very much.  The Barracuda 600 is a horizontal windlass but the motor mounts sideways which I liked and should give me more flexibility in the locker.

259305950.jpg

On ‎10‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 5:08 PM, N2SUN said:

The windlass was originally installed by Legendary Marine in Destin.  It is powered from the house battery with the control relay located in the dry near the anchor rode storage area.  The circuit breaker is located in the rear power panel where the battery switches are located (see pic) and the anchor rode is stored below the windlass in the original anchor storage area.  I am using 15' chain with 150' rope through a Lewmar V700.  I upgraded from the original windlass this past spring.  Access to straighten out the rope can be made from above through the lid opening.  I have never had issues with rope tangles but again I'm located on the Tennessee River and 80' is probably the longest length I've used.

Good to know.  Did your 276 come with the Ocean X outdrive, or did you have that installed?

In very heavy waves you might get some water forced in to the anchor locker. But it should drain out easily. Open the hatch to dry out the line faster.

I like that style of anchor location.  :)

On 10/23/2018 at 9:26 AM, Hatem said:

Thanks, Ed.  I will keep you posted.  I ordered that bow front roller from Joe @ Cecile Marine NJ.  He's on this forum and they have almost all the Chaparral parts.  He's very helpful and that is the bow roller plate for the 277 SSX.  Not sure of the exact part number, but it's pretty much the only one for that type of roller that Chaparral uses so it would be pretty easy for them to know what you're asking for, then you should be able to order it from them.

This style is not as common as the ones mounted on top of the bow, but you see them on many boats.  Here's a couple at our marina.

Dlr5UR1.jpg

sutdMKx.jpg

As far as the windlass itself, it seems most are using the Lewmar V700 like N2SNUN and also the guy in that video used.  It's a compact windlass so it would fit nicely in that small anchor locker of ours.  I went with the Barracuda 600 from Anchorlift which is the same brand that Denny used and I liked it very much.  The Barracuda 600 is a horizontal windlass but the motor mounts sideways which I liked and should give me more flexibility in the locker.

259305950.jpg

Good to know.  Did your 276 come with the Ocean X outdrive, or did you have that installed?

Hatem, looking at the pics, is that the way yours will be mounted? If so, does that mean you will have to go to the bow to view the final seating of the anchor?  Denny.

33 minutes ago, Denny said:

Hatem, looking at the pics, is that the way yours will be mounted? If so, does that mean you will have to go to the bow to view the final seating of the anchor?  Denny.

Yep, that's the way it'll be mounted.  But I have a switch for it at the anchor locker in addition to the helm switch.  I'm guessing that style is meant to be mostly operated from the foot or hand switches at the bow.  Hopefully I can reel most of it in from the helm until I hear the chain going through the gipsy and maybe the clanking of the anchor straightening out in the roller and then finish it off at the bow switch.

But either way, when you deploy a windlass, you still have to tie off the rode to a cleat and not have the tension on the roller anyway, right?  So you still have to untie the rode off the cleat to pull the anchor so you're at the bow anyway.  Is yours all chain?

Time for a back up camera & small light in the locker.   Enjoy   You will have power off of the foot / deck switches.