Ed p

Windless anchor for a 276 ssx

2 hours ago, Denny said:

Yes, as you know when ever you great anything ,you need all the pieces together in the same spot. 

Denny.

HUH?....  

28 minutes ago, Phillbo said:

HUH?....  

Sorry about that, I thought I was quoting Hatem.

I get mixed up when there are multiple quotes.

Denny.

8 hours ago, Denny said:

Sorry about that, I thought I was quoting Hatem.

I get mixed up when there are multiple quotes.

Denny.

You were.  He was just confused because you used the word "great" instead of "create," but I knew what you meant.

I don't know if you remember the part where I was discussing loading her up at high tide would work out really well?  The problem was we were there at low peak tide and when the head harbor master and another one are involved and the head HM just sticks his nose right in, it's a bit difficult putting your hand on his shoulder and telling him not to worry about it and we got it lol, especially when one of them is a friend of mine.  I just felt it would be way rude with LEOs trying to help.

At any rate, it certainly is an adjustment that is part of this modification that needed to be done while the boat is on the trailer, which it is now. Question is, can I pull it off before we leave on Friday and will that hamper wanting to bring it back to finish the end of the season at the marina?  We'll have to figure it out and decide.

12 hours ago, Denny said:

Yes, as you know when ever you great anything ,you need all the pieces together in the same spot. Keep us posted with lots of pictures.

Denny.

I will.  Even though posting pics lately has created some kind of weirdness (I think this forum doesn't like pictures or it irritates them or something judging by some reactions on other threads) but we'll get it done.  A lot of these projects -- as you well know and even said yourself -- are works in constant progress.  This was another item that I had identified before I even thought of doing this and knew I had to deal with it at some point and that point is now here.

4 minutes ago, Hatem said:

I will.  Even though posting pics lately has created some kind of weirdness (I think this forum doesn't like pictures or it irritates them or something judging by some reactions on other threads) but we'll get it done.  A lot of these projects -- as you well know and even said yourself -- are works in constant progress.  This was another item that I had identified before I even thought of doing this and knew I had to deal with it at some point and that point is now here.

Hatem, morning. Coincidently, pulled ours yesterday and took a picture of her on the trailer. Sad. Just noticed our winch stand and roller are about a foot lower than the anchor/windlass. Might be a bit more actually. Likewise, the bow-eye is below the roller and the roller and the bow-eye sit on another polished stainless plate. No interference even on our steep ramp. Can’t post the picture due to size. Can email or text it. Send a PM if you’d like to a reference set-up. 

15 minutes ago, Curt said:

Hatem, morning. Coincidently, pulled ours yesterday and took a picture of her on the trailer. Sad. Just noticed our winch stand and roller are about a foot lower than the anchor/windlass. Might be a bit more actually. Likewise, the bow-eye is below the roller and the roller and the bow-eye sit on another polished stainless plate. No interference even on our steep ramp. Can’t post the picture due to size. Can email or text it. Send a PM if you’d like to a reference set-up. 

Yeah text it to me if you don't mind.  You have my #, right?  Let me know if you want me to post it or not.  But it would be great to see it.  Thx.

The way my bow eye and plate is set up is done so that when it's up all the way to the winch stand and butts directly to the roller, the bow eye is bellow the roller also.  I believe that is the way it's supposed to be because then the roller bow eye plate is up against the roller which makes sense.  And the bow eye is trapped below the roller to pinch it and secure it (up to a certain point) so that's all normal and I am getting that. 

My boat is also tilted heavily to one side where it's off the portside fender by about an inch, if that, and 4-5 inches higher on the other side.  Usually when we get her out and she's slightly off (not that much), she almost always, for the 7 miles or so that we have to drive home, centers herself automatically just with the bumps on the road and the set up of the bunks allowing her to do that.  But not this time.  Thanks if you can text that picture over.

EDIT: Should be an easy jack-up I'll do today to straighten her out on he bunks.

2 hours ago, Hatem said:

Yeah text it to me if you don't mind.  You have my #, right?  Let me know if you want me to post it or not.  But it would be great to see it.  Thx.

The way my bow eye and plate is set up is done so that when it's up all the way to the winch stand and butts directly to the roller, the bow eye is bellow the roller also.  I believe that is the way it's supposed to be because then the roller bow eye plate is up against the roller which makes sense.  And the bow eye is trapped below the roller to pinch it and secure it (up to a certain point) so that's all normal and I am getting that. 

My boat is also tilted heavily to one side where it's off the portside fender by about an inch, if that, and 4-5 inches higher on the other side.  Usually when we get her out and she's slightly off (not that much), she almost always, for the 7 miles or so that we have to drive home, centers herself automatically just with the bumps on the road and the set up of the bunks allowing her to do that.  But not this time.  Thanks if you can text that picture over.

EDIT: Should be an easy jack-up I'll do today to straighten her out on he bunks.

That is why I added these, no mater how she comes out, she is always centered.

Denny.

IMG-8537.jpg

13 minutes ago, Denny said:

That is why I added these, no mater how she comes out, she is always centered.

Denny.

IMG-8537.jpg

I used  to have those, remember the story about one falling off on our way back from Maryland?  And I haven't been able to find a replacement.  The ones on the trailer are huuuuuuuge and extend way into the slot to clamp them in.  The replacements (even at EZ Loader) are discontinued.  Believe me I tried to get one but even so, I've never had a problem with centering the boat without them since.  It was a combination of all the Harbor Master made us do, back in, pull out, back it, tighten the winch (or should I saw OVER-tighten the winch) and all that backing in and out moved the stern around and put it where it is.  I had it dead center the first time.

This is where I stopped after the starboard one fell off somewhere in CT, but I chickened out and didn't want to go back and deal with cops and all that.  A ticket for unsecured items is not a good thing to get and I was in the slow lane and all the people pulling up to me told me it didn't cause an accident thank God and ended up in laying in the break-down lane.  Looking back I should've gone back and got it.

K24n6Rv.jpg

6 hours ago, Hatem said:

I used  to have those, remember the story about one falling off on our way back from Maryland?  And I haven't been able to find a replacement.  The ones on the trailer are huuuuuuuge and extend way into the slot to clamp them in.  The replacements (even at EZ Loader) are discontinued.  Believe me I tried to get one but even so, I've never had a problem with centering the boat without them since.  It was a combination of all the Harbor Master made us do, back in, pull out, back it, tighten the winch (or should I saw OVER-tighten the winch) and all that backing in and out moved the stern around and put it where it is.  I had it dead center the first time.

This is where I stopped after the starboard one fell off somewhere in CT, but I chickened out and didn't want to go back and deal with cops and all that.  A ticket for unsecured items is not a good thing to get and I was in the slow lane and all the people pulling up to me told me it didn't cause an accident thank God and ended up in laying in the break-down lane.  Looking back I should've gone back and got it.

K24n6Rv.jpg

6 hours ago, Hatem said:

K24n6Rv.jpg

Sorry about your luck.

My comes apart at the bottom at the pin you can see.

The only time they are put the trailer is when I am retrieving my girl.

I never trailer with them on.

Denny.

IMG-8538.jpg

IMG_8660.jpg

15 hours ago, Denny said:

Sorry about your luck.

My comes apart at the bottom at the pin you can see.

The only time they are put the trailer is when I am retrieving my girl.

I never trailer with them on.

Denny.

IMG-8538.jpg

IMG_8660.jpg

Yeah looks good.  Mine has something similar I forget but because of the beam of the boat, it need to extend way under and the new ones don't have that length and are kinda short like yours in that pic.  Shame, I have a pair of new ones with the protective sleeves on them and the top lights as well if you want to light them up but they're sitting collecting dust in my shop.  I'll take a pic of my setup and post it.  Hard to believe that another one of those is unavailable. 

30 minutes ago, Hatem said:

Yeah looks good.  Mine has something similar I forget but because of the beam of the boat, it need to extend way under and the new ones don't have that length and are kinda short like yours in that pic.  Shame, I have a pair of new ones with the protective sleeves on them and the top lights as well if you want to light them up but they're sitting collecting dust in my shop.  I'll take a pic of my setup and post it.  Hard to believe that another one of those is unavailable. 

There is a place near me that makes custom trailers, and they make these to fit your unit.

Denny.

1 hour ago, Denny said:

There is a place near me that makes custom trailers, and they make these to fit your unit.

Denny.

Really?  I'll take a picture with the dimensions on it and send it to you unless you'd rather give me their contact info and I can call them directly, save you the hassle? 

I wouldn't mind putting them back on the trailer but that wasn't the result of why it ended up off centered just FYI. But if they were in, then maybe the LEOs telling me to back down and up and down and up, they might've helped keep it centered where I had it on the first shot that I came in.

I think my bigger issue now is the winch which I'm working on ATM.  I centered the boat with a couple of jacks and some tweaking.  I would post the pics but it might give certain people a heart attack so I won't.  Gonna taper down on posting pics as well.

9 hours ago, Hatem said:

Really?  I'll take a picture with the dimensions on it and send it to you unless you'd rather give me their contact info and I can call them directly, save you the hassle? 

I wouldn't mind putting them back on the trailer but that wasn't the result of why it ended up off centered just FYI. But if they were in, then maybe the LEOs telling me to back down and up and down and up, they might've helped keep it centered where I had it on the first shot that I came in.

I think my bigger issue now is the winch which I'm working on ATM.  I centered the boat with a couple of jacks and some tweaking.  I would post the pics but it might give certain people a heart attack so I won't.  Gonna taper down on posting pics as well.

Happy to help.

Ron's trailers

419-691-7667

M-F 8-5

Sat 8-12 EST.

Ask for Joe, tell him, Denny from Denny's Body Shop referred him.

Tell him who you are and that you had seen mine.

He is good people and I am sure that he will work with you.

Denny.

You can always PM me the pics.

46 minutes ago, Denny said:

Happy to help.

Ron's trailers

419-691-7667

M-F 8-5

Sat 8-12 EST.

Ask for Joe, tell him, Denny from Denny's Body Shop referred him.

Tell him who you are and that you had seen mine.

He is good people and I am sure that he will work with you.

Denny.

You can always PM me the pics.

I will do that!  Thanks very much for the rare help.  Much appreciated.  I might actually post them in the Mods thread, Denny.

9 minutes ago, Hatem said:

I will do that!  Thanks very much for the rare help.  Much appreciated.  I might actually post them in the Mods thread, Denny.

:)

On 7/29/2019 at 12:17 PM, Hatem said:

So we used the windlass for the first time yesterday, Denny.  Worked unbelievably well except the couple of times it wouldn't pull the rode because the line was piling up too close underneath.  I knew I would have to deal with that so to help it, I just grabber the line at the bottom and pulled it further to the left or right to get it going and it only happened a couple of times but I dropped about 100ft at a cove we were anchored in and everything went great.  Now we got a good taste as to why windlass anchors are just so much better.  Turned the master switch on the helm rocker switch and operated it with the bow-mounted switch I put in so we can see it coming in and out.

4ZMbkWH.jpg

And since we were is shallow waters, it made the first experience of learning how to use it even easier.  Didn't take a lot of pics but next time we're in that cove, I'll take more and maybe even a video.

YLQbHq8.jpg

Went from the windlass to portside bow cleat so the stress is in the cleat and not the roller and especially the windlass.

XlIcqc1.jpg

UVAMISn.jpg

Probably didn't need to but with the tide coming in and water getting rougher, I used my old fluke-style anchor and a line to secure the stern.  Line was probably too short but I stepped on the anchor and buried that sucker in really well.  Whenever the stern needed to swing, the anchor grabbed and I could see it and when not, it just loosened up.

Hey @Denny, btw, some nitwit who created a new false account actually laughed at the fact that I was using my bow anchor switch to watch the final bit of chain come in to be sure its lined up right LOL!  I couldn't believe it because it's the substitute for those silly-looking rubber foot switches which I know for a fact he has on his own boat loool.  Talk about the peak of hypocrisy.  That's ok, bit it's actually motivated me even more.  The hidden anchor switch from Anchorlift is actually hidden even better than the foot switches. And boy aside from that first time, man did it work great.

On 10/8/2019 at 7:52 PM, Denny said:

Yes, as you know when ever you great anything ,you need all the pieces together in the same spot. Keep us posted with lots of pictures.

Denny.

I've changed my mind, since you and I are the only ones who really, and I mean really take a lot of pics of what we work on and accomplish and post them, I will do exactly what you said and take a lot of pics.  But I'm assuming you're referring to the bow thruster?  Or something else?  The former I'll do a whole thread on and it's starting soon.  Can't wait to see the reactions! :D

Btw, not sure if I asked you this already but does Vimeo have limits for length of videos that you can post?  I'm just wondering if it's better than YouTube?

3 hours ago, Hatem said:

Hey @Denny, btw, some nitwit who created a new false account actually laughed at the fact that I was using my bow anchor switch to watch the final bit of chain come in to be sure its lined up right LOL!  I couldn't believe it because it's the substitute for those silly-looking rubber foot switches which I know for a fact he has on his own boat loool.  Talk about the peak of hypocrisy.  That's ok, bit it's actually motivated me even more.  The hidden anchor switch from Anchorlift is actually hidden even better than the foot switches. And boy aside from that first time, man did it work great.

I've changed my mind, since you and I are the only ones who really, and I mean really take a lot of pics of what we work on and accomplish and post them, I will do exactly what you said and take a lot of pics.  But I'm assuming you're referring to the bow thruster?  Or something else?  The former I'll do a whole thread on and it's starting soon.  Can't wait to see the reactions! :D

Btw, not sure if I asked you this already but does Vimeo have limits for length of videos that you can post?  I'm just wondering if it's better than YouTube?

Nice work on the windlass.

I love mine, everytime I use mine I divide it into the cost, it is just about paid for, LOL.

As far as I know, Vimeo so far has played all of mine, and I have some that are well over 6 minutes.

I was using the free one for awhile, and opted to pay for the 1st level that you pay for, it gives you a few more options.

Denny.

8 hours ago, Denny said:

I love mine, everytime I use mine I divide it into the cost, it is just about paid for, LOL.

As far as I know, Vimeo so far has played all of mine, and I have some that are well over 6 minutes.

I was using the free one for awhile, and opted to pay for the 1st level that you pay for, it gives you a few more options.

Denny.

Ah, ok. Yeah, You Tube is free and there are 4 hour videos from some people.  I think I'll stick with it on the bow thruster.

BTW, that clip that I picked up I'll install today and take a few pics so you can see what happened.  I can't believe how tight that harbor master tightened that thing that when it broke (because you know how you have to tighten the arm just a tiny bit to loosen the gear clip?) it snapped the bolt on the clip mechanism!  I'll show it in a little while but the worst part was because of how tight he had it, the stern must've been off the rear of bunks since the boat's bow popped up and he stern immediately settled back down!!!  That was just UNBELIEVBLE!

I've also discovered that my trailer shop is not capable of handling what I need.   I need a custom-made winch, plus additional, strong forward bunks AND rollers on top of the front of the trailer.

I just saw a beautiful Chaparral (and I mean EXCEPTIONALLY beautiful) on a triaxle trailer which I had considered for many years since let's face it, my trailer is a bit too small for my boat.  It's rated for a 27 foot boat (276ssx is almost 29ft) and I have about 800 lbs. of weight to spare.  That's cutting it close.  Which means it's at it limit.  Just before pulling the plug in late 2015 for a on a very expensive brand new triaxle, I realized that they are very difficult in tight turns and I have quite a bit of them to make to get it into the driveway and even through the streets.  So it might be worth modifying this thing with maybe stronger leaf springs (I can actually see the wheels strain from the weight and I've taken it to several trailer shops whom have all told me that's fine?!!?!?).  I have a box trailer for my business, it's 8 x 16ft and also a dual axle and we load it with tools and it even has racks on the top for extension ladders and sometimes I'll carry heavy LVL beams on top and I've NEVER seen the tires stress the way they do on this EZ Loader.  Granted we probably never come close to putting 7000lbs in it so might not be a fair comparison.

So new leaf springs since I changed the breaks last year, new cross-bars to add additional, forward bunks (shame on me that I haven't done that yet) but I've never needed them until the windlass so now it's a must and a center keel roller to help push the bow up a little as it comes out of the water.  Then I need to design some sort of winch bracket that is shaped in a way (kinda like you drew) to stay out of the way of the windlass but at the same time, the strap need to be high enough to pull the boat at the right height.  So this will be very challenging.

Bolt snapped in half from all that tension.

Rk1rXIf.jpg

New set going in today.

ysDlGas.jpg

On ‎10‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 11:23 AM, Hatem said:

I think my bigger issue now is the winch which I'm working on ATM.  I centered the boat with a couple of jacks and some tweaking.  I would post the pics but it might give certain people a heart attack so I won't.  Gonna taper down on posting pics as well. Nah! :D 

Portside side was practically sitting on the wheel fender while starboard had about 5" of space.  Driving home the 7 miles was pretty hectic but at some point you gotta say @#$^#^ it, it is what it is and avoid as many bumps as possible and once settled and with a plan, I grabbed a pair of jacks. 

HN29J8A.jpg

My  4-ton jack worked much better than my NASCAR jack lol.  But the latter did a GREAT job.  Hopefully this is a good practice test for when it's time to raise the entire boat to bottom paint the bunk areas.

Jacked and jacked and even pushed by hand to slide her and worked out well.  I got 2" on STB and 2-1/4"on port.  I can live with that and that little bit will actually adjust itself as we drive the thing around.

Zyfp8jQ.jpg

I  thought I took a lot of pics of the bolts in the bunks and the carpet from all the boat scraping it has started to rip in certain sections.  The bolts had the weirdest grime on them but they cleaned up really nicely.  I might either change these bunks when I add the forward ones or at least change the bolts and carpeting.  I already bought the latter so I have it and I won't be using SS staples.  I have something else that works much better.

Some more of the winch repair.  Need to use your advice on the rusted areas, Denny.  Maybe change that one bolt even.

qL5S4pu.jpg

av0e9fY.jpg

That slightly rusted pole looks like it's actually in the wrong spot and should be going directly into the pin.  Gonna take a look at that, right now it's just sitting in there not doing much when it can stabilize the pin as per directions.

9 minutes ago, Hatem said:

Portside side was practically sitting on the wheel fender while starboard had about 5" of space.  Driving home the 7 miles was pretty hectic but at some point you gotta say @#$^#^ it, it is what it is and avoid as many bumps as possible and once settled and with a plan, I grabbed a pair of jacks. 

HN29J8A.jpg

My  4-ton jack worked much better than my NASCAR jack lol.  But the latter did a GREAT job.  Hopefully this is a good practice test for when it's time to raise the entire boat to bottom paint the bunk areas.

Jacked and jacked and even pushed by hand to slide her and worked out well.  I got 2" on STB and 2-1/4"on port.  I can live with that and that little bit will actually adjust itself as we drive the thing around.

Zyfp8jQ.jpg

I  thought I took a lot of pics of the bolts in the bunks and the carpet from all the boat scraping it has started to rip in certain sections.  The bolts had the weirdest grime on them but they cleaned up really nicely.  I might either change these bunks when I add the forward ones or at least change the bolts and carpeting.  I already bought the latter so I have it and I won't be using SS staples.  I have something else that works much better.

Some more of the winch repair.  Need to use your advice on the rusted areas, Denny.  Maybe change that one bolt even.

qL5S4pu.jpg

av0e9fY.jpg

I’ve never jacked a boat up, so can’t comment. Regarding the winch, the cog can be cleaned with a Dremel if you’d like or greased and left alone. As to the spacer, it’s asking for a little love. Perhaps sand it clean, or pull and replace. If mine, and I’m replacing/repairing the ratchet like you are, I’d replace. Probably overkill, but I’m there already so why not.

2 hours ago, Curt said:

I’ve never jacked a boat up, so can’t comment. Regarding the winch, the cog can be cleaned with a Dremel if you’d like or greased and left alone. As to the spacer, it’s asking for a little love. Perhaps sand it clean, or pull and replace. If mine, and I’m replacing/repairing the ratchet like you are, I’d replace. Probably overkill, but I’m there already so why not.

Yeah the spacer is gone.  I'm assuming this is what you're referring to as the spacer?  Way too rusty and all it does is keep the sides from collapsing or spreading out from the pressure.  It's like a carriage bolt with a square end to fit a square hole but has a sleeve over it.  That's gone and new one ordered. 

Y2LAYAt.jpg

The new clip is in too so at least that's a good thing that the boat is strapped in the front.

On ‎10‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 11:37 PM, Denny said:

I hear ya!  I love it and well worth all the work and effort I put into it, including reworking the roller plate to fit right.  Would've never made any sense to do all this and have a roller that doesn't sit well. 

Anyway, after winterizing the boat and flooding the yard and part of the neighbor's driveway with pink stuff (I did warn him and he couldn't care less lol I'm lucky I have great neighbors) I was ready to hook her up and take her to the gas station to top her off.  So I have one of these (I think it's SS or chrome plated not sure TBH) but ever see one of these universal hitches?  Rotates from a 2" to a 2-5/8" for my trailer and I have it set on the middle hole which makes the trailer nice and level and hardly puts any tongue weight on the truck. That's a separate discussion I suppose since you kinda need a bit of tongue weight especially backing down the ramp.  The black spacer is a new one I had to buy  since the original one that came from Ford fell out and I lost it.  Pisssed me off because I didn't have any play whatsoever with the hitch in there and now there seems to be quite the play.  So I need the right one and take the loss on that one.  I've used this hitch extensively and has worked great.  Even though I don't like that 90* design since all the pulling and pushing is mostly on that square angle, they did beef it up but still, not much "hooks" either holding the upright part and a lot of tension on those as well.  But I crisscross my wires and always check for cracking and metal fatigue to the best of my ability and so far I see none.  Trailer shop told me that's one of the better ones so I'll go with that.

Rk3lnq4.jpg?1

So I measured the distance between that middle hole I have it set at all the time and the furthest bottom and furthest top one and it's exactly 3" OC.  That means I can either raise the trailer (which isn't good on my back tires on the trailer) or drop it 3" which wouldn't be good for the front tire on the trailer BUT, that might but me a little clearance for the windlass coming onto the trailer.  I can always change setting on the road with the proper equipment which I carry all the time.  So would love to know what you or others think about that as one of a few things to do to help with that clearance issue I have with the boat and windlass coming on to the trailer.

oTIsZik.jpg

So going to get gas, I figured I would experiment and raise the hitch and trailer to help angle the boat backwards more and help drain out any excess water left over in the gutter  keel and bilge before I give it a good wet vacuuming and drying (it's raining all day today lol) and this is what it looked like.  Actually, I thought I took a pic of it on the trailer hooked up to the top hole but apparently I didn't take pic.  But after gassing up and backing it into the yard as far as possible to clear those deadly falling leaves, this angle is a bit more than what it was because I checked the outdrive and it wasn't anywhere that low loooool.  I would never take her out with the outdrive that low with our notorious potholes around here but I jacked her up for now because of this incoming rain.  But.....

9uhObGd.jpg

....my question to you is, (actually 2 questions) is what if I dropped the setting on the hitch to the lowest hole and gained those 3", wouldn't that help?

And the 2nd question is have you ever seen anyone operate a winch that is upside down?  Look at that proximity or clearance and that's now, it's much less and worst when I'm hauling out of the water and that bow is waaaaaaay lower than it is now.  I'd say the bow comes in a few inches above the black rubber roller.  I'll take anyone's opinion on that if you've ever seen it and is there a reason why you think flipping it upside down besides the cranking handle being on the left side, so what, right? IMO, that, along with a few other tweaks and adjustments such as adding a longer and maybe wider roller bar/bracket (before making a big decision on either a different winch bracket or even trailer?

uUHqsqm.jpg

13 minutes ago, Hatem said:

And the 2nd question is have you ever seen anyone operate a winch that is upside down?

Never seen that. Very creative. Just double check that the ratchet and lock aren’t affected. If they’re not, problem solved.

6 hours ago, Curt said:

Never seen that. Very creative. Just double check that the ratchet and lock aren’t affected. If they’re not, problem solved.

Yeah I'll flip that thing over and see what happens.   Might just do the trick. 

8 hours ago, Hatem said:

I hear ya!  I love it and well worth all the work and effort I put into it, including reworking the roller plate to fit right.  Would've never made any sense to do all this and have a roller that doesn't sit well. 

Anyway, after winterizing the boat and flooding the yard and part of the neighbor's driveway with pink stuff (I did warn him and he couldn't care less lol I'm lucky I have great neighbors) I was ready to hook her up and take her to the gas station to top her off.  So I have one of these (I think it's SS or chrome plated not sure TBH) but ever see one of these universal hitches?  Rotates from a 2" to a 2-5/8" for my trailer and I have it set on the middle hole which makes the trailer nice and level and hardly puts any tongue weight on the truck. That's a separate discussion I suppose since you kinda need a bit of tongue weight especially backing down the ramp.  The black spacer is a new one I had to buy  since the original one that came from Ford fell out and I lost it.  Pisssed me off because I didn't have any play whatsoever with the hitch in there and now there seems to be quite the play.  So I need the right one and take the loss on that one.  I've used this hitch extensively and has worked great.  Even though I don't like that 90* design since all the pulling and pushing is mostly on that square angle, they did beef it up but still, not much "hooks" either holding the upright part and a lot of tension on those as well.  But I crisscross my wires and always check for cracking and metal fatigue to the best of my ability and so far I see none.  Trailer shop told me that's one of the better ones so I'll go with that.

Rk3lnq4.jpg?1

So I measured the distance between that middle hole I have it set at all the time and the furthest bottom and furthest top one and it's exactly 3" OC.  That means I can either raise the trailer (which isn't good on my back tires on the trailer) or drop it 3" which wouldn't be good for the front tire on the trailer BUT, that might but me a little clearance for the windlass coming onto the trailer.  I can always change setting on the road with the proper equipment which I carry all the time.  So would love to know what you or others think about that as one of a few things to do to help with that clearance issue I have with the boat and windlass coming on to the trailer.

oTIsZik.jpg

So going to get gas, I figured I would experiment and raise the hitch and trailer to help angle the boat backwards more and help drain out any excess water left over in the gutter  keel and bilge before I give it a good wet vacuuming and drying (it's raining all day today lol) and this is what it looked like.  Actually, I thought I took a pic of it on the trailer hooked up to the top hole but apparently I didn't take pic.  But after gassing up and backing it into the yard as far as possible to clear those deadly falling leaves, this angle is a bit more than what it was because I checked the outdrive and it wasn't anywhere that low loooool.  I would never take her out with the outdrive that low with our notorious potholes around here but I jacked her up for now because of this incoming rain.  But.....

9uhObGd.jpg

....my question to you is, (actually 2 questions) is what if I dropped the setting on the hitch to the lowest hole and gained those 3", wouldn't that help?

And the 2nd question is have you ever seen anyone operate a winch that is upside down?  Look at that proximity or clearance and that's now, it's much less and worst when I'm hauling out of the water and that bow is waaaaaaay lower than it is now.  I'd say the bow comes in a few inches above the black rubber roller.  I'll take anyone's opinion on that if you've ever seen it and is there a reason why you think flipping it upside down besides the cranking handle being on the left side, so what, right? IMO, that, along with a few other tweaks and adjustments such as adding a longer and maybe wider roller bar/bracket (before making a big decision on either a different winch bracket or even trailer?

uUHqsqm.jpg

Mine has 2 rollers and the bow eye rests up under the top roller.

If it were mine, I would add an upper roller, and drop the whole unit that is mounted on the post.

If you flip it over, believe me, you will not like it.

Adding a second roller will achieve the same thing.

Denny.

IMG-3926.jpg