AOSJeff

2009 Chaparral 226ssi with 383 stroker with Bravo 3

Hello,

just wanting to get some input and thoughts....

My 2009 chap 226ssi 350 mag with bravo 3 ( only 251 hours) decided to fail with breaking a rod @ 4500 rpm and sending #5 piston into valve train. I was being hopeful that my insurance would cover this but that’s not the case at all. I over kill  maintenance at around 25 hours with using  semi senthetic oil.

After reviewing very costly repairs or replacement I’m thinking about replacing the 350 with a 383 complete drop in with 2 year warranty,

Anyone out there had the same issues with the 350 mag or have done the 383 swap?

What would be the pros and cons? My boat did max out @ around 60 mph with half tank of fuel and two people in it.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

4 hours ago, AOSJeff said:

Hello,

just wanting to get some input and thoughts....

My 2009 chap 226ssi 350 mag with bravo 3 ( only 251 hours) decided to fail with breaking a rod @ 4500 rpm and sending #5 piston into valve train. I was being hopeful that my insurance would cover this but that’s not the case at all. I over kill  maintenance at around 25 hours with using  semi senthetic oil.

After reviewing very costly repairs or replacement I’m thinking about replacing the 350 with a 383 complete drop in with 2 year warranty,

Anyone out there had the same issues with the 350 mag or have done the 383 swap?

What would be the pros and cons? My boat did max out @ around 60 mph with half tank of fuel and two people in it.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

The striker upgrade will require an ECM reflash at the very least.   

Hang on... I just lifted out the 350 and binned it and replaced it with a 383 straight out the box and re propped the B3, I'm very happy with it... I would write more but my lunch break is over...

Have a look at my old posts...

Breaking a rod sounds like you may have been lugging the engine. What WOT RPM did you see? What prop pitch and drive ratio do you have?

brick

58 minutes ago, boardrider said:

Hang on... I just lifted out the 350 and binned it and replaced it with a 383 straight out the box and re propped the B3, I'm very happy with it... I would write more but my lunch break is over...

How do you know you are not running lean at WOT? You have to feed the monster and with no O2 sensor, the ECM sets a flat fuel delivery profile based on temperature, manifold pressure, and TPS input. The base program is based on 350 cubic inch CFM volumes and on a car engine you could simply cut the ignition at WOT and do a plug read, but you can't pull that off on a marine engine.  W

33 minutes ago, brick said:

Breaking a rod sounds like you may have been lugging the engine. What WOT RPM did you see? What prop pitch and drive ratio do you have?

brick

33 minutes ago, brick said:

brick

I’m not sure of the drive ratio but it has 26 pitch stainless props. How do you find that out?

WOT trimmed up a bit is around 5k. When rod broke it was around 4500rpm. Wasn’t under a load at all and the water was like glass. 

Ive talked to several marina’s and no one has heard of such a thing.

1 hour ago, boardrider said:

Boardrider, So I’m guessing your pleased with the swap? What props did you go with? Was it for top speed or out of the hole?

6 minutes ago, AOSJeff said:

I’m not sure of the drive ratio but it has 26 pitch stainless props. How do you find that out?

WOT trimmed up a bit is around 5k. When rod broke it was around 4500rpm. Wasn’t under a load at all and the water was like glass. 

Ive talked to several marina’s and no one has heard of such a thing.

What engine oil are you running?  Is there a possibility that the coupler failed, or you broke the drive and the engine ran away momentary? Even with a rev limiter, at WOT the ECM can react fast enough to stop a run away train. Be nice to be able to CSI the engine to see if it broke a rod bolt and threw a ride, eximine the rod journal to see if the bearing spun first, if the wrist pin failed, or if the rod beam just snapped due to a hidden flaw.    W

I would not lose any sleep over the broken rod.  Could have been any of several defective parts.  Or assembly reasons. Move on to the next engine.  Enjoy it more.  :)

Ok, just to be clear I bought a 383 Mag Stroker from Mercury Marine, it came with an ECU. It's not some dodgy rebuild by a bunch of bandits.

As for the air flow o2 sensors and all that, well I let my marine engineer handle all that, he has all the latest mercury computer kit and he is legendary round these parts.

As for the prop I was running a 26P and had to step up to a 28P to stop the rev limiter cutting in. Flat out exhaust open 49mph and I think that was 4975rpm (Don't quote me on the rpm)

The reason for getting the 383 was at the time it was best deal for me,  to buy a boat with a dodgy engine and repower it. Cheaper than a boat from the states or Europe.

Am I happy with it? Oh yes! It was a little less money, came with a warranty and extra power.

Personally would I recommend it...… Yes.

Thanks everyone for the input.

The rod just broke. Bad part. Nothing seized or failed from what we can see.

I ordered the 383 today so should have her back together next week. 

12 hours ago, Wingnut said:

What engine oil are you running?  Is there a possibility that the coupler failed, or you broke the drive and the engine ran away momentary? Even with a rev limiter, at WOT the ECM can react fast enough to stop a run away train. Be nice to be able to CSI the engine to see if it broke a rod bolt and threw a ride, eximine the rod journal to see if the bearing spun first, if the wrist pin failed, or if the rod beam just snapped due to a hidden flaw.    W

Sounds like Quincy.  :D  

I run the quicksilver 4 stroke 25w-40 synthetic blend. Oil is still golden with less than 10hours since last oil change.