yogi799

Outdrive/engine maintenance help, other than the standard stuff

I have checked Wing's manual (http://s526.photobucket.com/user/wingnutmfs/library/Winterization Merc 496256 SSX?sort=3&page=1)

and I'd like to know what all should be done to the engine/outdrive besides, engine oil, gear lube and AF.

I believe fuel filter should be changed every few years, correct? I have done it once after 3 years of use and it was nice and clean, so maybe I'll wait 5-6 years this time? 

Wing's manual mentions step #27 Grease gimbal bearing (http://photobucket.com/gallery/user/wingnutmfs/media/cGF0aDpXaW50ZXJpemF0aW9uICAgTWVyYyA0OTYyNTYgU1NYL1N0ZXAyN0dyZWFzZWdpbWJlbC5qcGc=/?ref=1). What is that all about? I have a Bravo 3 drive and i do not see a port like that, What shall I do?

Same for step #28 Grease couple spline. What is that (I have a 6.2 l v8) (http://photobucket.com/gallery/user/wingnutmfs/media/cGF0aDpXaW50ZXJpemF0aW9uICAgTWVyYyA0OTYyNTYgU1NYL1N0ZXAyOENvdXBsZXJTcGxpbmUuanBn/?ref=1)

Anything else to assure the motor/drive last me a long time? I literally do not do anything other than standard winterizing maintenance. I do not hit stuff so I was told drive alignment is not a necessity. What about the bellows? I barely know what they are, if those are the rubber pieces on the top of the drive then mine still look new. Shall i worry then or leave it (or how to inspect them)? Please advise what and how, thank you! 

Thanks!

7 hours ago, yogi799 said:

I have checked Wing's manual (http://s526.photobucket.com/user/wingnutmfs/library/Winterization Merc 496256 SSX?sort=3&page=1)

and I'd like to know what all should be done to the engine/outdrive besides, engine oil, gear lube and AF.

I believe fuel filter should be changed every few years, correct? I have done it once after 3 years of use and it was nice and clean, so maybe I'll wait 5-6 years this time? 

Wing's manual mentions step #27 Grease gimbal bearing (http://photobucket.com/gallery/user/wingnutmfs/media/cGF0aDpXaW50ZXJpemF0aW9uICAgTWVyYyA0OTYyNTYgU1NYL1N0ZXAyN0dyZWFzZWdpbWJlbC5qcGc=/?ref=1). What is that all about? I have a Bravo 3 drive and i do not see a port like that, What shall I do?

Same for step #28 Grease couple spline. What is that (I have a 6.2 l v8) (http://photobucket.com/gallery/user/wingnutmfs/media/cGF0aDpXaW50ZXJpemF0aW9uICAgTWVyYyA0OTYyNTYgU1NYL1N0ZXAyOENvdXBsZXJTcGxpbmUuanBn/?ref=1)

Anything else to assure the motor/drive last me a long time? I literally do not do anything other than standard winterizing maintenance. I do not hit stuff so I was told drive alignment is not a necessity. What about the bellows? I barely know what they are, if those are the rubber pieces on the top of the drive then mine still look new. Shall i worry then or leave it (or how to inspect them)? Please advise what and how, thank you! 

Thanks!

Send me a valid e-mail address by PM and I'll get some manuals on their way to your in-box via PDF file. Many specific OEM recommendations too numerous to mention here.  W

7 hours ago, yogi799 said:

Thanks!

Your 2013 has a sealed gimbel bearing so you can't grease it. I'm not really a fan of those. Greasing the engine coupler requires turning the engine over until the coupler grease fitting is pointing straight up, which can be viewed by laying down across the engine and looking straight down at the coupler. Once you find it, mark the crank shaft pulley with a bright paint stripe so you can orientate the fitting easier next time. Make certain that you use the proper extreme pressure lubricant here as it is a specialized application that sees all the horsepower and suffers from any engine miss-alignment issues. They will last forever if maintained, but replacement requires engine removal. Fuel filter life depends on quality of fuel. If you fog your engine as described, then the fogging oil can soften the binder adhesive that holds the end plates on to the filter. I would not go beyond 3 seasons for that reason alone. Also be aware that there is a filter screen at the base of the filter cavity, under the actual filter element. An additional screen is attached directly to the fuel pump suction also. Be aware that they are there and keep an eye on them also. The fuel pumps (2) are around a grand to replace so take care of them.  W

SO even if i don't hit anything shall i still do engine alignment every 3-4 years or so? what is your take on it? I am paranoid about hitting the bottom so i am extremely careful and NEVER hit anything (we have rock here in Ontario so it is a big deal to know your water)

ALso, what is the coupler? where can i see it? At the back of the motor?

I sent you all the manuals this am. The coupler is a rubber captured splined female segment bolted to your flywheel. The mating splined input drive shaft to the out drive slips into it after passing through the gimbel bearing. The engine rests on the front engine mounts and the bell housing hangs off the transom. The relationship between the hull bottom and transom changes over time as the resin cures, and is also affected by how you store your boat. Bunk trailer, roller trailer, or in water all change how the big plastic box moves around. Any slight movement creates an significant change in alignment. Yes, an impact can cause an "instant" issue, but over time just sitting in the driveway can create a miss-aligned condition.  At 3 years or 300 hours it's wise to check the u-joints, bellows, gimbel bearing, and coupler spline teeth. Greasing the coupler is a PITA but is also one of the most important maintenance items you can do. Expensive fix if neglected, and I can't state strongly enough how important it is to use the proper grease. Multi-purpose lube will not protect the spline teeth, and a special extreme pressure formulation is necessary. A properly greased and aligned coupler will last a lifetime and I've done engine overhauls at over 3,000 hours only to find the coupler still serviceable. The big block engines and work boats come with a stainless engine side female spline which will last forever unless they are allowed to run dry. Yours is aluminum so keep it greased. I have a separate grease gun loaded up with a military spec EP lube that I use exclusively on coupler splines. EP lubes are not necessary for bearings and in some ways they are counter-indicated but on a spline application their use is essential.  Read the manuals, relax, and enjoy your boat.   W

OK, will do, thanks bud. And yes, sounds like engine alignment is in store for next spring.

Oh, one more curious thing you've said about the filter getting bath in fog oil if changed right away. Darn. Never though about it before, is it really that bad for the filter or is it a minor issue that can be disregarded? I love having a new filter with the new oil when I start it up last 2 times before putting it away... I like to run clean oil through the engine before storing but the thought of clean oil getting through a dirty filter makes me wanna....

so, which is better?

1 hour ago, yogi799 said:

OK, will do, thanks bud. And yes, sounds like engine alignment is in store for next spring.

Oh, one more curious thing you've said about the filter getting bath in fog oil if changed right away. Darn. Never though about it before, is it really that bad for the filter or is it a minor issue that can be disregarded? I love having a new filter with the new oil when I start it up last 2 times before putting it away... I like to run clean oil through the engine before storing but the thought of clean oil getting through a dirty filter makes me wanna....

so, which is better?

Fuel filter not oil filter. Oil AND filter in the fall. 

I change fuel and oil filter very year. Cheap enough to do.

The other thing i do, is take off the plastic raw water inlet from the drive/s.

I always find sand and some growth in there.