Is the hull really not covered?

2014 226 SSI  I also have the 5 year warranty.  Haven't had good luck with my dealership or this boat, Mainly due to dealership.  Wouldn't recommend buying a Chap in northern Illinois.

Problem, I just noticed hairline cracks where the ski platform meets the hull, only on the port side.  No visible damage, boat practically new.  I was told that chaparral reviewed and the hull is not covered.  I just can't believe that I thought I had a bumper to bumper 5 year warranty and limited life time hull warranty and neither covers cracks in the fiberglass.  Besides pissing and moaning, can I do anything???? 

Worried that it will get worse.  Do you guys get hair line cracks fixed?  If it gets worse, it will be pretty obvious when you are standing on the back of the boat.

If anyone thinks buying a new boat with a warranty is less risky than buying a used boat, in my opinion, they would be wrong!  This new boat cost me way more than I was expecting and nothing seems to be covered.   I guess could be all dealership issues but not a happy chap owner.

Thanks,

Kevin

I’m not sure about coverage as far as hairline cracks are concerned but I am curious, when you say northern IL Chap dealer are you referring to Munson?  If so, I and my family have had nothing but good service from them for years.  

I will say some people you talk to are better than others and if you want to get in touch with the person that can/will help if your claim has any chance at all her name is MaryJo Munson.  She will (from my experience) do anything reasonable to make sure you are happy, and if her answer is no then you know your aren’t getting anywhere further.

Again from my experience if her answer is no, then you probably aren’t getting a yes from any dealer.  If this is a different dealer you are referring to then disregard :rolleyes:

10 hours ago, klivesay said:

2014 226 SSI  I also have the 5 year warranty.  Haven't had good luck with my dealership or this boat, Mainly due to dealership.  Wouldn't recommend buying a Chap in northern Illinois.

Problem, I just noticed hairline cracks where the ski platform meets the hull, only on the port side.  No visible damage, boat practically new.  I was told that chaparral reviewed and the hull is not covered.  I just can't believe that I thought I had a bumper to bumper 5 year warranty and limited life time hull warranty and neither covers cracks in the fiberglass.  Besides pissing and moaning, can I do anything???? 

Worried that it will get worse.  Do you guys get hair line cracks fixed?  If it gets worse, it will be pretty obvious when you are standing on the back of the boat.

If anyone thinks buying a new boat with a warranty is less risky than buying a used boat, in my opinion, they would be wrong!  This new boat cost me way more than I was expecting and nothing seems to be covered.   I guess could be all dealership issues but not a happy chap owner.

Thanks,

Kevin

Yep, that's right.  They don't cover things like hairline cracks in your hull.  But if you had some structural cracking or some unusual separation/delamination, large blisters etc. that is obviously some factory defect, they usually cover those types of things but it almost always is a back & forth process to resolve it.  There's been countless threads on this topic through the years and some fellas have had major issues and they've gotten them worked out with Chaparral and their dealer.  But hairline cracks are just too common and many times can be viewed as the way you operate the boat (not you particularly) and so they don't cover those.

If you run your hand over them and can't feel any ridges or sharp edges, I wouldn't worry about them or bother fixing them for now, especially if they're on a very visible area of the hull like the gunwale (which is where I have a few on starboard) because you need a really good gelcoat guy who really knows what he's doing to make those disappear without noticeable work having been done.  Not an easy thing but there are talented guys out there who are capable of doing that but might not be worth it.  But if you do feel sharp edges and can actually feel the cracks, I would address them since now they're more than hairline ones and will only get worst if they're opened up.

I will say that Mary Joe is very good and draws you back in, but my favorite conversation with her was after I had found out that not much that the sales guys told me was true.  She was fully brought up to speed and said to me that she has been trying to stop them from telling customers those things.  

I was glad she recognized that I was told these things, but it isn't like she did anything to remedy them.  I really wish I could trust them and always bring my boat there, especially since I bought a volvo, but each time I tell myself that I am not going to bring it there next time.

Very frustrating, now I have to find out if it is just cosmetic or if it is going to get worse.

I don't recommend Munson Ski and Marine, but I really wish I could.  

Kevin

Thanks Hatem, that makes me feel a bit better.  Just annoyed that I spent all this money and store it inside year around and don't use it a ton and know that I have no chance of keeping it like new.  I guess I have to adjust my standards when it comes to this boat.

Hair lines can be from the gel coat OR glass mixed into the mat strands. If there is too much hardener added ?  The glass just keeps getting harder.  Then any stress just starts those lines.

Obviously a slightly not hard enough is better for the top coat.  You might get mold in the cracks.  Not always.

EDIT............ Hardener company could be at fault also.

1 hour ago, bcboater said:

Anybody have any experience with MagicEzy Hairline crack filler?  I've got a tube but haven't used it yet.

Hairlines are a fact of life on boats.  They take a pounding, get twisted all different directions.  It happens.

http://magicezy.com/

That stuff looks cool.  Kind of hides them like 70%.  But cant get wet for 14 days....that's a problem.

On ‎10‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 8:06 AM, klivesay said:

Thanks Hatem, that makes me feel a bit better.  Just annoyed that I spent all this money and store it inside year around and don't use it a ton and know that I have no chance of keeping it like new.  I guess I have to adjust my standards when it comes to this boat.

Yeah I hear ya.  As you can see from all the other fellas, I think it's safe to say that almost every single boat has them in some place or another.  Like bcboater said, it probably doesn't take much for them to develop with the twisting and pounding the hulls take.  One of the things that really gets to me is hull slapping.  I can never seem to get used to that noise as you cruise over relatively mild chop and those air pockets under the boat with the movement of the boat create that water slapping the hull, it's magnified as it resonates through the hull and sounds a lot worst than it probably is.  But every time that happens, that specific noise irritates me to no end lol.