watson524

Boat cleaning/waxing questions

Hi all,

I had a pretty good line up of products for the old boat as far as what I used for fiberglass cleaning and then polish. We use iron out toilet bowl cleaning to get the lake scum off and then pro polish to keep the shine (after I did the wet sanding project for restoration). Most of my cleaners/waxes on hand are more aggressive which I'm thinking I don't need on a brand new boat.

Wondering what people are using? Since we also have a LOT more gel coat now (I plan on doing even inside the head), I'm looking for something that maybe is a wipe on only product. The Pro Polish you wipe on, let it dry to a haze then buff off. Are there easier methods out there? I know it's all a matter of opinion but I'm looking for something to keep it shiny and protected but not be many steps. For my vinyl I use spray 9 and 303 and usually do a light 303 hit a few times / season

Also some other questions related to cleaning:

1.) Stainless props.... what do you use to keep them shiny? We had the dealer bottom wash it while he had it for winterizing and they're kind of dull.

2.) How do you clean your glass/windshields?? I would use vinegar/water but I wanted to be sure that was ok and do you have anything better? I swear they attract spots like no one's business

3.) Does anyone do anything special with hard surface countertops like our head and wetbar or just keep them wiped down?\

4.) What does one do with the painted aluminum arches? Should I be waxing/polishing that too? For now I just used spray 9 to get the bugs off the front :)

thanks!

I started using "Serious Shine" this year for the interior detail, cleans and shines every thing (Fiberglass, Windshield, Head, Seats) with a few micro fiber towels. My boat shop guy suggested it.  I liked it better than using wax on the Fiberglass, vinyl cleaner then conditioner on the seats, sparkle on the windshield. Started at the bow worked my way to the stern, used about a dozen + towels but a lot easier.

Now I use it on the car and truck leather seats. 

Props I dont do anything to them, They're not pollished.

26 minutes ago, Toddler said:

I started using "Serious Shine" this year for the interior detail, cleans and shines every thing (Fiberglass, Windshield, Head, Seats) with a few micro fiber towels. My boat shop guy suggested it.  I liked it better than using wax on the Fiberglass, vinyl cleaner then conditioner on the seats, sparkle on the windshield. Started at the bow worked my way to the stern, used about a dozen + towels but a lot easier.

Now I use it on the car and truck leather seats. 

Props I dont do anything to them, They're not pollished.

thanks Matt! I'll look into it. That would be awesome if it can do it all like that, it would save keeping a few different bottles on the boat. Can it be used as a quick cleanup after a day on the lake (i.e. every day use) or would it cause build up? I just saw it's from Shurhold and that's who makes Buff Magic and Pro Polish that I love so it's all in that same family.

I bet maybe that's why my props aren't shiny!! Didn't think of the non polished part of it, I was ready to go out with a buffing wheel. I had the shop take them off and grease the splines because I don't think I have a socket big enough for the back nut but before I go buy prop wrenches, I need to look in the barn through my dad's collection. He drove a school bus and has some really big sockets up there.

4 hours ago, watson524 said:

Hi all,

I had a pretty good line up of products for the old boat as far as what I used for fiberglass cleaning and then polish. We use iron out toilet bowl cleaning to get the lake scum off and then pro polish to keep the shine (after I did the wet sanding project for restoration).

thanks!

since you wet sanded have you got any or much oxidation returning to the surface

1 minute ago, Auggie said:

since you wet sanded have you got any or much oxidation returning to the surface

I did the wet sanding over 5 years ago (there's a thread around here somewhere) and when we sold the boat in April this year, it was still shiny like new. I did 1500, then 2000 then 2500 grit, then a cutting compound, then something lighter then Pro Polish. Each year thereafter I just used Pro Polish and the shine stayed just fine.

I use Meguiar's spray wax on the interior gelcoat surfaces and 303 on the vinyl.  Exterior I use 3M compound and polish and Colonite wax.  I use the same wax on the arch.  

2 hours ago, MonkeySeaII said:

I use Meguiar's spray wax on the interior gelcoat surfaces and 303 on the vinyl.  Exterior I use 3M compound and polish and Colonite wax.  I use the same wax on the arch.  

Do you use the 925 or the fleetwax which I think is 870? Good to know it can go on the arch too.

I use DAT compound for buffing, any compound that says it it say for clear coats uses DAT compound. DAT breaks down to a polish. PHAT compounds do not and you have to use multiple steps. 

I also use Mequires NXT syn wax after and it lasts a very long time. NO buffing. wipe on wipe off. 

When removing boat from water I use Boat bling hot sauce very quickly and wipe it down and it shines. I also use Hot Sauce for interior pieces and bright work. 

1 hour ago, watson524 said:

Do you use the 925 or the fleetwax which I think is 870? Good to know it can go on the arch too.

925.  My fiberglass guy said that's the best

Glass use what you use, no reason to reinvent the wheel, you could try some rain x type stuff may help with spotting.  As far as wax Ive always used cleaner wax at the beginning of the year, after each time out I used to use Aerospace 303 to go over the hull  and such, but it takes kind of long and isn't cheap.  So I switched to turtle wax spray wax/ detailer, and use 303 half way in the season, also use 303 on the seats.

1 hour ago, soldier4402 said:

Glass use what you use, no reason to reinvent the wheel, you could try some rain x type stuff may help with spotting.  As far as wax Ive always used cleaner wax at the beginning of the year, after each time out I used to use Aerospace 303 to go over the hull  and such, but it takes kind of long and isn't cheap.  So I switched to turtle wax spray wax/ detailer, and use 303 half way in the season, also use 303 on the seats.

I didn't realize 303 worked on the hull, unless there's a different line of it I'm just not aware of (I have the fabric stuff for the canvas and the other kind for the vinyl). 

These windows will be the death of me lol! I use vinegar, water and a dash of dish soap with a squeegee and the insides of the 2 front windows are just streaking on me. I thought windows in my house were a pain, but the angle here makes it all the more FUN! :)

33 minutes ago, watson524 said:

I didn't realize 303 worked on the hull, unless there's a different line of it I'm just not aware of (I have the fabric stuff for the canvas and the other kind for the vinyl). 

These windows will be the death of me lol! I use vinegar, water and a dash of dish soap with a squeegee and the insides of the 2 front windows are just streaking on me. I thought windows in my house were a pain, but the angle here makes it all the more FUN! :)

believe the stuff for vinyl works on the hull it works great.

On 10/21/2018 at 7:42 PM, watson524 said:

thanks Matt! I'll look into it. That would be awesome if it can do it all like that, it would save keeping a few different bottles on the boat. Can it be used as a quick cleanup after a day on the lake (i.e. every day use) or would it cause build up? I just saw it's from Shurhold and that's who makes Buff Magic and Pro Polish that I love so it's all in that same family.

I bet maybe that's why my props aren't shiny!! Didn't think of the non polished part of it, I was ready to go out with a buffing wheel. I had the shop take them off and grease the splines because I don't think I have a socket big enough for the back nut but before I go buy prop wrenches, I need to look in the barn through my dad's collection. He drove a school bus and has some really big sockets up there.

I use a solution of 1oz boat wash, 4oz hull cleaner in a 32oz spray bottle for the every day clean up. This has worked for me for years, gets all the water spots off everything. The Serious Shine is to expensive for every day use, once or twice a year.

On 10/21/2018 at 7:07 PM, watson524 said:

I did the wet sanding over 5 years ago (there's a thread around here somewhere) and when we sold the boat in April this year, it was still shiny like new. I did 1500, then 2000 then 2500 grit, then a cutting compound, then something lighter then Pro Polish. Each year thereafter I just used Pro Polish and the shine stayed just fine.

Thanks for the reply. That info is great to know. Now I have a big job ahead

5 minutes ago, Auggie said:

Thanks for the reply. That info is great to know. Now I have a big job ahead

It honestly wasn't so bad once I got into it. I knew the vinyl stripes had to come off because they were drying out so I took all that off first and went to town. Basically, I was shocked at the price a shop gave me and I already had the buffers and stuff so I figured I'd learn something new. A bit unnerving at first but I got lots of compliments on it so...

here's the thread where you can see some before and after. It wa longer ago than I thought (2009 or 2010) and it was as shiny on the day we sold it this April

1 minute ago, watson524 said:

here's the thread where you can see some before and after. It wa longer ago than I thought (2009 or 2010) and it was as shiny on the day we sold it this April

The link didn't come up?????????

For marine use, you’ll want to select a soap that will be tough on dirt, grime, salt and fish blood, yet easy on the environment. Don’t use the same soap you would for cleaning dishes at home. Instead, select an effective, biodegradable cleaning agent with a neutral pH factor. If you use your craft in salt water, it’s especially important to use soap and fresh water to completely remove the corrosive salt build-up that can eat away at your boat. Be aware that certain "super concentrated" detergents may not be suitable for your boat, as these cleansers can strip away and damage finishes when left on for extended periods of time.

5 hours ago, mikofer78 said:

For marine use, you’ll want to select a soap that will be tough on dirt, grime, salt and fish blood, yet easy on the environment. Don’t use the same soap you would for cleaning dishes at home. Instead, select an effective, biodegradable cleaning agent with a neutral pH factor. If you use your craft in salt water, it’s especially important to use soap and fresh water to completely remove the corrosive salt build-up that can eat away at your boat. Be aware that certain "super concentrated" detergents may not be suitable for your boat, as these cleansers can strip away and damage finishes when left on for extended periods of time.

https://americanboating.org/clean_boat_cleaning.asp

On ‎10‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 4:13 AM, mikofer78 said:

Actually I love Dawn the stuff works better than any soap ive ever found and on top of it, its cheap.  With that said it does strip wax and such, but for that's the whole point.  I use dawn dish soap on everything the first wash of the year in the spring after winters.  Gets everything off.  After that I wax the vehicle or boat, and use made for boat or car wash.

I use dawn before I wax.

I bought one of those foam cannons and I wash the boat once a week with it.

The foam just evaporates the salt deposits and it looks great and makes washing very easy.