my Chaparral 260 SSI needs a new starter installed however the receiving female in the block is all deteriorated so it can only be bolted in by 1 Bolt. Is there any way even with lifting the engine out of the bolt that a flange can be welded on to the block so it shall be fabricated to receive the bolt? If not, are there any other ideas as starter motor must be lined up in that position to meet the flywheel?

So i am reading you st right, the threads are gone. If thats the case, you should be able to drill and tap to the next one or two bolt size bigger. At least i would think with out looking at it. The other question would be, can the starter be drilled out to accept the larger bolt?

No welding on cast iron without pre-heat and post weld stress relieving so that's out. Only real option is to precision drill the old threads out, re-thread, and install a Heli-coil thread insert. A special tap comes with the Heli-Coil which taps threads that the insert threads into, and it gets lock-tite applied before installation. This gets the threads replaced to original size. The issue with starters is they use a body bound bolt that ensure proper flywheel alignment. Drilling out to a bigger size and using an oversized bolt is a real crap shoot. Better to re-new the threads back to OEM size and use a standard spec starter bolt. Per link below       W

https://www.google.com/search?q=Heli-Coil+thread+insert&client=firefox-b-1&tbm=isch&source=iu&ictx=1&fir=Ykz9_Fs66Xss8M%3A%2CvWXGbwD5TFI2oM%2C_&usg=AI4_-kSjsmzSuuqPFtecORmosxyz3A0OAQ&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjsjrPlp5_eAhXEm-AKHe3lBs4Q_h0wHnoECAkQDw#imgrc=Ykz9_Fs66Xss8M:

22 hours ago, Wingnut said:

No welding on cast iron without pre-heat and post weld stress relieving so that's out. Only real option is to precision drill the old threads out, re-thread, and install a Heli-coil thread insert. A special tap comes with the Heli-Coil which taps threads that the insert threads into, and it gets lock-tite applied before installation. This gets the threads replaced to original size. The issue with starters is they use a body bound bolt that ensure proper flywheel alignment. Drilling out to a bigger size and using an oversized bolt is a real crap shoot. Better to re-new the threads back to OEM size and use a standard spec starter bolt. Per link below       W

https://www.google.com/search?q=Heli-Coil+thread+insert&client=firefox-b-1&tbm=isch&source=iu&ictx=1&fir=Ykz9_Fs66Xss8M%3A%2CvWXGbwD5TFI2oM%2C_&usg=AI4_-kSjsmzSuuqPFtecORmosxyz3A0OAQ&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjsjrPlp5_eAhXEm-AKHe3lBs4Q_h0wHnoECAkQDw#imgrc=Ykz9_Fs66Xss8M:

Only used a heli coil once, many years ago. 

A much better way than my idea. I forget they even exist!!

But with all things being equal, drilling out and a larger bolt. It should be centered to where the starter was before. 

21 minutes ago, Iggy said:

Only used a heli coil once, many years ago. 

A much better way than my idea. I forget they even exist!!

But with all things being equal, drilling out and a larger bolt. It should be centered to where the starter was before. 

I now have an angle drill that makes getting the old threads pout easier. The first ones I did were accomplished by cutting off the drill bits to making the shorties so the drill fit. I used an air drill for those 2 as it was compact. Trick is to go up in drill size in small increments until you get to the size prescribed by the Heli-Coil. Lube is a must as you are threading cast iron, then a through cleaning of the threads with an evaporative like Brake-Kleen so that the Lock-Tite bites. Buy a new spec starter bolt too as it will align the starter properly. Starter bolts are alloy and have a body bound area that is a different dimension than a bolt from a hardware store. Hopefully if you install a quality starter after the block is repaired it will be the last time you will need to fool with it.  W