Sign in to follow this  
SeanK

Hydraulic Trimming Question

Thought about this the other day - what would you do if you were at the launch, and you trailered your boat, and you could not trim your sterndrive up?   Is there an override somewhere?   Thanks

Pull the rear pivot pin from the trim cylinders and pull the drive up, and tie off.  Not all that heavy for even one person.   W

Thanks for the info.   Should I lubricate the trim cylinders occasionally?   If so, WD-40?    

It seems I need to trim down before it trims up.   I can hear the trim up button energize, but it doesn’t move.   I trim down a hair, then it trims up fine.

thanks

On 10/28/2018 at 11:14 AM, SeanK said:

Thanks for the info.   Should I lubricate the trim cylinders occasionally?   If so, WD-40?    

It seems I need to trim down before it trims up.   I can hear the trim up button energize, but it doesn’t move.   I trim down a hair, then it trims up fine.

thanks

On the trim cylinder seal assembly there is a wiper ring that scrapes the rod during retraction to remove any accumulated scale. It is common, especially in brackish water, for crystals to form behind this ring and as they grow, the wiper ring squeezes the shaft tighter and tighter to the point where the resistance out distances the hydraulic system's ability to move the ram. With the weight of the drive hanging on the rams, it is easier to trim down than up and it sounds like that is why you need to break it loose first with a quick trim down before she will go up. Seal kits are cheap and re-building the ram is pretty straight forward. The hardest part will be getting the cylinder end plug that houses the seal assembly off of the ram shaft. It's hard to believe how hard that little ring will grab the shaft, but at times I've have had to use a 20 ton bench press to get them apart. The new one will slide on fairly easily after you clean the corrosion out from behind the old wiper ring and install the new one. The rams live in hydraulic oil so spraying the rams with WD-40 won't help much as the crystals form deep inside the seal pocket, behind the wiper ring. If you do rebuild them, be sure to push the cylinder piston fully into the cylinder and fill the resulting void space with hydraulic fluid before screwing in the end cap. Pick up a spanner wrench to tighten the end cap so you don't damage it. They are cheap and available at most auto parts stores or on line. To bleed the system, trim full down, fill the tank, trim full up, wait a minute, then repeat until air is gone. Fill the tank with the trim full down to prevent overfilling.  W