SeanK

Lubricants for Mercruiser

For throttle and steering pivot points, sliding pistons, trim cylinders, etc, is WD-40 OK to use or do you need to strictly adhere to the Mercruiser manual?   There are so many lubricants on the market, what is OK to use and what is a hard “never use”?   Besides WD-40, there is lubricants with Teflon.   What would you recommend for lubrication under fresh and salt water?    

Thanks

On 10/31/2018 at 9:13 AM, SeanK said:

For throttle and steering pivot points, sliding pistons, trim cylinders, etc, is WD-40 OK to use or do you need to strictly adhere to the Mercruiser manual?   There are so many lubricants on the market, what is OK to use and what is a hard “never use”?   Besides WD-40, there is lubricants with Teflon.   What would you recommend for lubrication under fresh and salt water?    

Thanks

WD-40 is not a good lubricant, it evaporates after awhile. It is a good moisture displacement, until it drys out, not good for long time protection.  Denny.

8 hours ago, Denny said:

WD-40 is not a good lubricant, it evaporates after awhile. It is a good moisture displacement, until it drys out, not good for long time protection.  Denny.

WD-40 is not on my shop's shelf either. It's a wax derivative that sets up in cold weather too. CRC-656 is my favorite. W

16 hours ago, Denny said:

Yep!

Good info.   That’s what I’ll get.   I’ve used other CRC’s with good results.

for the points you list, I use light weight 2 stroke oil in a small pump bottle. I coat the areas you list.  I like BOSHIELD better than WD-40 for corrosion resistance