jeffk

Bahamas

THIS ----  July 10-21, 2019  - Extended Fling (The Exumas)

Of all the sailing i have done the Exumas are pretty close to the best. Right up there with the BVI.

On ‎10‎/‎31‎/‎2018 at 3:56 PM, jeffk said:

When we did this trip a few years ago, it was a lot of fun.

Even with leaving my boat there!

Check out the dates maybe we can do it again!

https://www.bahamas.com/faq/boating-flings

Depends on the company, of course.  So what is this, anyway?  Is this so that you're packaged up with 30 boats and you have reserved docking and you're basically part of a large group that takes care of passports safety procedures and all that stuff?   I thought what you did last time was just a Chaparral crowd from this forum get-together trip separate from any of this fling thing?  

I am interested by June 26-30, 2019  -  Bimini since I will be in the Keys from 19th of June to 16th of July.

If I understand correctly you have to be there Wednesday for the meeting and everyone is leaving Thursday and return Sunday.

3 hours ago, Hatem said:

Depends on the company, of course.  So what is this, anyway?  Is this so that you're packaged up with 30 boats and you have reserved docking and you're basically part of a large group that takes care of passports safety procedures and all that stuff?   I thought what you did last time was just a Chaparral crowd from this forum get-together trip separate from any of this fling thing?  

There were three of us from the Chap forum, but we went with the fling folks.  10 boats total on our particular trip.  There is a lead gentleman who organizes the crossing (can't think of his name at the moment, but he rode with JeffK and his boat acted as "lead boat").  He has done this for decades!  Anyway, each boat is responsible for customs, passports, safety and provisioning of their own vessel, etc.  But safety in numbers is the primary benefit...especially for first-timers.  Once in Bimini, you're on your own to explore.

2 hours ago, Exoset said:

I am interested by June 26-30, 2019  -  Bimini since I will be in the Keys from 19th of June to 16th of July.

If I understand correctly you have to be there Wednesday for the meeting and everyone is leaving Thursday and return Sunday.

Correct!  Wednesday evening Captain's meeting and depart at 0600 Thursday morning returning on Sunday (for the Bimini fling).  The extended fling (Exumas this year) is of course on a different schedule.

I am looking at grand bahama.

Bimini been there done that twice.

They give you a captains party and logistics coming and going.

They make your slip res in the bahamas...rest is up to you.

On ‎11‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 1:12 PM, Exoset said:

Bimini since I will be in the Keys from 19th of June to 16th of July.

That's almost a month, awesome.  Any particular part of the Keys that you spend most of the time at?  Marathon, Islamorada?  Key West looks like a very isolated area, being the furthest one out and all.  If we get down there, I'll definitely have to make some time for some deep sea yellow fin tuna fishing.  It seems to be the best on the Gulf side.   Do you like to fish?

Richard was at the show, they had a huge booth this year.

I probably pass on Bimini, but i will go to the captains meeting to meet whomever is going.

There's a lot of talk over on the Chaparral facebook page about putting together a Chap Bahamas trip.  That group sounding like the Bimini run might be their preference.

As a first run Bimini is pretty good.

Not much to do on the island but great anchorages like honeymoon harbor.

You also have the Sapona to snorkel.

Its a short run.

I don't use facebook.

On ‎11‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 10:52 AM, jeffk said:

Richard was at the show, they had a huge booth this year.

I probably pass on Bimini, but i will go to the captains meeting to meet whomever is going. 

Since this fall's trip didn't work out, and it appears @Exoset will be somewhere in the Keys for a month in the middle of next summer, maybe that might be a good time to trailer the 276 all the way down there and hookup.  I wouldn't mind just hanging out in the Keys.  Aren't many areas just as beautiful as Bimini and the Bahamas?  Islamorada has beautiful beaches and wonderful secluded areas.  Looking at pics online and other  beaches on the other keys seem just as exquisite as what we see in Bimini or the Bahamas, to some extent, anyway.

https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=beaches+of+the+keys&FORM=HDRSC2

Key West at Dry Tortugas has amazing beaches.  I wouldn't mind beaching the boat right up onto that sand.  It's just some good boating distances to deal with.  

Dry-Tortugas-National-Park-Beach.jpg

Get out and do a bunch of snorkeling around Alligator Lighthouse in Islamorada, just hope no hammerhead or tiger shark comes up to us.  Talk about @#$%@#ting your pants!  Skip to minute 2:00.  While it might be cool to experience something like this, ending up with a stinky load in your swim trunks is not cool! :haha-7383:

There are also plenty of great whites in Florida waters, even right at Alligator reef.  Anyone ever get in the water with a shark?

The keys are very nice.

It is the experience of going to bimini and crossing the ocean.

Dry tortugas are beautiful but i would not run with carrying gas tanks or a bladder.

You dont have to go far down here for beautiful water, Elliot Key is 30 miles south of Miami and beautiful.

Key largo has a great reef and Christ of the Abyss statue which is cool to see.

If I were coming down, I would definitely check out the Haulover sandbar for a day.

4 hours ago, Hatem said:

Since this fall's trip didn't work out, and it appears @Exoset will be somewhere in the Keys for a month in the middle of next summer, maybe that might be a good time to trailer the 276 all the way down there and hookup.  I wouldn't mind just hanging out in the Keys.  Aren't many areas just as beautiful as Bimini and the Bahamas?  Islamorada has beautiful beaches and wonderful secluded areas.  Looking at pics online and other  beaches on the other keys seem just as exquisite as what we see in Bimini or the Bahamas, to some extent, anyway.

Could be very cool to catch up ;). My own experience about beaches in the Keys is… don't bother lol. At least around Marathon and/or Key West. This is nothing like your pictures, in fact there is algae on almost every beach I have seen, it is even worst since Irma but I was told that it is good for the eco system in the Keys.

Never been there yet but if you want beautiful beaches, it seems that Bahamas is the place to go, I will check that theory myself :p, you are more than welcome to join me.

I have to say that I haven't been in the upper Keys though, perhaps it is different but I spent 2 months in 2 years looking for those beaches you are showing and I never found them, perhaps I was just unlucky.

Dry Tortugas seems to be the real challenge with boats like ours, especially because there is nothing once you get there, I read a lot of stories of boaters stucked down there or trying to go from boat to boat exchanging water for gas, or simply being towed back. Anyway that is a trip I will do with at least 200+ gal just to be able to let the gen run.

On ‎11‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 3:41 PM, Hatem said:

That's almost a month, awesome.  Any particular part of the Keys that you spend most of the time at?  Marathon, Islamorada?  Key West looks like a very isolated area, being the furthest one out and all.  If we get down there, I'll definitely have to make some time for some deep sea yellow fin tuna fishing.  It seems to be the best on the Gulf side.   Do you like to fish? 

I like Marathon because I am looking for a place where I am able to hang out with the family. For me Key West is a little too noisy and active, I am looking for peace and quiet you know lol. I have been told that the upper keys are more fitted for spring breakers etc and since I am cool to be the only boat on the island, marathon seems to be the perfect place for me. Some cool spots to visit too like : Bahia Honda, Siesta Key, Looe Keys, 2-3 h away from Key West on the Atlantic side.

I have made a video back in summer 2016, I need to work on the one of summer 2018 this winter. Perhaps it could give you an idea but what I saw this year was very different from what you can see on the video, Irma definitely took a heavy toll on the Keys…

I am not fishing at all, don't have the patience for it :p

On ‎11‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 3:54 PM, TexasPilot71 said:

There were three of us from the Chap forum, but we went with the fling folks.  10 boats total on our particular trip.  There is a lead gentleman who organizes the crossing (can't think of his name at the moment, but he rode with JeffK and his boat acted as "lead boat").  He has done this for decades!  Anyway, each boat is responsible for customs, passports, safety and provisioning of their own vessel, etc.  But safety in numbers is the primary benefit...especially for first-timers.  Once in Bimini, you're on your own to explore.

Correct!  Wednesday evening Captain's meeting and depart at 0600 Thursday morning returning on Sunday (for the Bimini fling).  The extended fling (Exumas this year) is of course on a different schedule. 

Hey thanks for confirming, so if I want to go, I need a day from Marathon to the RDV point which means 2 back and forth + the 5 days including meeting prep.  I should consider a week at least.

On ‎11‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 2:44 PM, Exoset said:

Could be very cool to catch up ;). My own experience about beaches in the Keys is… don't bother lol. At least around Marathon and/or Key West. This is nothing like your pictures, in fact there is algae on almost every beach I have seen, it is even worst since Irma but I was told that it is good for the eco system in the Keys.

Funny you mention that because I discovered the same exact thing cruising all around Islamorada lol!  I couldn't find a single, decent beach like in those pics and even all the hotels I looked at all barely had a patch of sand to throw some beach chairs on.  Very strange.  Where the heII are those locations in the pics then lol.

Never been there yet but if you want beautiful beaches, it seems that Bahamas is the place to go, I will check that theory myself :p, you are more than welcome to join me.

Thank you, my friend.  That is very kind of you and another invitation is always nice to get.  Jeff has also been very kind and offered the same as well.  It's nice to see and know that there are a few members here who are kind-hearted and don't belong to the FMC .:haha-7383:  

I have to say that I haven't been in the upper Keys though, perhaps it is different but I spent 2 months in 2 years looking for those beaches you are showing and I never found them, perhaps I was just unlucky.

No, I think you're right.  Jeff says if you really want beaches, Miami is the way to go with all the sandbars and all the booty shaking on it lmao.  Except we're family men, those days are looooooooooonnnnnggggeah gone.  Although, TBH, I do have permission from the commander in chief/CEO/President/Queen Empress to look only briefly and of course, never touch!  Time is limited to 1 second or less of booty observation and then I better look away. :D 

Dry Tortugas seems to be the real challenge with boats like ours, especially because there is nothing once you get there, I read a lot of stories of boaters stucked down there or trying to go from boat to boat exchanging water for gas, or simply being towed back. Anyway that is a trip I will do with at least 200+ gal just to be able to let the gen run.

Oof, I didn't realize it was that far.  Never mind that, then.  A charter would really be the only way to do that.

I like Marathon because I am looking for a place where I am able to hang out with the family. For me Key West is a little too noisy and active, I am looking for peace and quiet you know lol. I have been told that the upper keys are more fitted for spring breakers etc and since I am cool to be the only boat on the island, marathon seems to be the perfect place for me. Some cool spots to visit too like : Bahia Honda, Siesta Key, Looe Keys, 2-3 h away from Key West on the Atlantic side.

Yeah, no!  Spring breakers are a thing of the past for this kid.  Been there done that and now I have gray bearding and that just doesn't work.  Plus I'm just not a hip hop guy.  The crap these kids listen to today is such a far cry from what we grew up with in the late 80's and that great music that it's just a whole new world. 

I have made a video back in summer 2016, I need to work on the one of summer 2018 this winter. Perhaps it could give you an idea but what I saw this year was very different from what you can see on the video, Irma definitely took a heavy toll on the Keys…

Tremendous.  What a beautiful family.  :)  That's what it's all about and the memories the little ones will have of these trips will shape their lives.  Great stuff.

I have a technical question: @ minute 16:45, the Chaparral is anchored with the windlass roller but it looks like the plow anchor is still in the roller.  What's going on there?  Are you using the different line with a different anchor but ran it through the roller?

No, I think you're right.  Jeff says if you really want beaches, Miami is the way to go with all the sandbars and all the booty shaking on it lmao.  Except we're family men, those days are looooooooooonnnnnggggeah gone

Just because you are in a diet doesn"t mean you can't look at the menu...discretely of course..

Yeah, no!  Spring breakers are a thing of the past for this kid.  Been there done that and now I have gray bearding and that just doesn't work.  Plus I'm just not a hip hop guy.  The crap these kids listen to today is such a far cry from what we grew up with in the late 80's and that great music that it's just a whole new world. 

My grandaughter thinks the music I listen to is corny.

I still like punk rock.

I was friendly with Dee Dee Ramone and accompanied the band to a few shows.

I was also in his video when he did a solo album...even had hair than.

I have never had a bad time at Key Largo or Islamorada.

Once a year we fly my granddaughter down from Illinois.

Next time we are going to Key Largo with her to take her to swim with the dolphins.

4 hours ago, Hatem said:

I have a technical question: @ minute 16:45, the Chaparral is anchored with the windlass roller but it looks like the plow anchor is still in the roller.  What's going on there?  Are you using the different line with a different anchor but ran it through the roller? 

Mooring balls ;), at this time we were at Looe Keys and since it is a protected area you can't just drop your Anchor, if there is no mooring ball available you have to wait or leave or send a line to another boat.

About music I was born in the 80's so I am more a 90's guy :p, I am only 37 old but yeah I feel older when I listen good old Nirvana or Kid Rock (not too loud because if you want respect you have to show some) and people look at me like : whaaaat ? ) lol