jakester1967

Cover for just storing boat

Hey Everyone,

Just looking to see what everyone uses for a cover.  There are some out there that are well over $1000 and I only want it for when the boat is sitting at the storage place until i can use it again.  This will not be used for towing just storing.  

I bought the cheapest one Academy Sports had. It was semi-universal, designed to fit 17-19 ft V-Hull boats. Think it was around $50 or $60. I put it on when While storing the boat year round and taking it on and off when we head to the lake and get home. It fits my 1930ss great and has a 3 year warranty.

15 hours ago, Carpenter193 said:

I bought the cheapest one Academy Sports had. It was semi-universal, designed to fit 17-19 ft V-Hull boats. Think it was around $50 or $60. I put it on when While storing the boat year round and taking it on and off when we head to the lake and get home. It fits my 1930ss great and has a 3 year warranty.

Awesome thanks for the reply...I think that is the way I will go for my new ride as well...It came with the bow and cockpit covers but I want something to cover the top and sides of the boat to protect from the Florida sun...

I have a Westland semi-custom cover.  Was not crazy expensive but is a nice solid cover for storage.  I don't trailer with it or use it while the boat is in the slip.  I use it for winter storage as well as when it sits in the driveway.

23 hours ago, MonkeySeaII said:

I have a Westland semi-custom cover.  Was not crazy expensive but is a nice solid cover for storage.  I don't trailer with it or use it while the boat is in the slip.  I use it for winter storage as well as when it sits in the driveway.

Does it go over the radar arch?

The trade off starts with when high winds and rain attack & cause thousands of flapping a day . Sitting in a open area ?  Needs some thought before buying.

Able to prevent ….ANY RAIN..... From leaking in & causing mildew ?  Oh boy. For a cruiser  with cabin & 2nd level & roof sticking up things ? 

Several of the cruiser boats buy a custom made on the boat cover for just the antennas & stick up on the top roof The canvas guy cuts away all the roof cover where ever a stick up is. He makes individual covers & sews them on to the roof area. Works great for most boats.  The bigger domes Are slip on with snaps or flappered zippers.. Both types work very well 10 or more years old.  ALL used Sunbrella only.

Almost forgot some bigger radomes have a cover that looks like a sleeve vertically the same diameter as the radome diameter.. Faster & cheaper cover. Most have a Snap on base with rain flap all around.  Lots of variations to do the job

2 hours ago, Hatem said:

Does it go over the radar arch?

no, it has velcro & elastic openings that go around the arch.  And no, it's not a tight seal so I typically put this cover on over my cockpit cover.  It goes down over the rubrail so it keeps the boat clean.

20 hours ago, MonkeySeaII said:

no, it has velcro & elastic openings that go around the arch.  And no, it's not a tight seal so I typically put this cover on over my cockpit cover.  It goes down over the rubrail so it keeps the boat clean.

That's good.  Radar arches seem to be the major sticking pain in the asss when it comes to these covers.  I'm getting tired of shrink wrapping every year and looking for an easier alternative that is almost as effective.  

I bought a custom made Fisher canvas for my 255.  It was used for 3 years , then the guy bought a radar arch and couldnt use it anymore.

It is made out of Army duck.   It works pretty good.  It requires 3 16 foot 2x4's and some string.  

It is for Storage not trailering. New it is over 1200

http://www.fishercanvas.com

I bought a Budge Cover for my 257ssx with arch off of Amazon.  It is a Ttop cover for 24-26 foot boat.  They only last a couple of years before starting to fall apart but I only paid $200.  There is a 4 year warranty and they did send me a new one by just sending pictures.  So I can get about 4 years out of one which is cheap protection.  I store boat in my driveway and bought a dehumidifier at Lowes and run it under cover 24/7.  Never once had problem with mildew inside and interior looks brand new after 4 years like this.