Cover for just storing boat

I bought the cheapest one Academy Sports had. It was semi-universal, designed to fit 17-19 ft V-Hull boats. Think it was around $50 or $60. I put it on when While storing the boat year round and taking it on and off when we head to the lake and get home. It fits my 1930ss great and has a 3 year warranty.

15 hours ago, Carpenter193 said:

I bought the cheapest one Academy Sports had. It was semi-universal, designed to fit 17-19 ft V-Hull boats. Think it was around $50 or $60. I put it on when While storing the boat year round and taking it on and off when we head to the lake and get home. It fits my 1930ss great and has a 3 year warranty.

Awesome thanks for the reply...I think that is the way I will go for my new ride as well...It came with the bow and cockpit covers but I want something to cover the top and sides of the boat to protect from the Florida sun...

The trade off starts with when high winds and rain attack & cause thousands of flapping a day . Sitting in a open area ?  Needs some thought before buying.

Able to prevent ….ANY RAIN..... From leaking in & causing mildew ?  Oh boy. For a cruiser  with cabin & 2nd level & roof sticking up things ? 

Several of the cruiser boats buy a custom made on the boat cover for just the antennas & stick up on the top roof The canvas guy cuts away all the roof cover where ever a stick up is. He makes individual covers & sews them on to the roof area. Works great for most boats.  The bigger domes Are slip on with snaps or flappered zippers.. Both types work very well 10 or more years old.  ALL used Sunbrella only.

Almost forgot some bigger radomes have a cover that looks like a sleeve vertically the same diameter as the radome diameter.. Faster & cheaper cover. Most have a Snap on base with rain flap all around.  Lots of variations to do the job

2 hours ago, Hatem said:

Does it go over the radar arch?

no, it has velcro & elastic openings that go around the arch.  And no, it's not a tight seal so I typically put this cover on over my cockpit cover.  It goes down over the rubrail so it keeps the boat clean.

I bought a Budge Cover for my 257ssx with arch off of Amazon.  It is a Ttop cover for 24-26 foot boat.  They only last a couple of years before starting to fall apart but I only paid $200.  There is a 4 year warranty and they did send me a new one by just sending pictures.  So I can get about 4 years out of one which is cheap protection.  I store boat in my driveway and bought a dehumidifier at Lowes and run it under cover 24/7.  Never once had problem with mildew inside and interior looks brand new after 4 years like this.

• 2 weeks later...

I am planning to buy a cover from Coveranything today. I talked with one of their associates yesterday because they don't have an Exact for my model & year, and I also want to cover my teak extended swim platform, so I am getting one for a 26.5' Euro Cruiser (even though I have a 240 Sig) and see what happens. I want to keep the snow off of it while it is on my lift during its winter nap. My question is, should I cover the pros/drive with a trash bag or giant christmas stocking? Should I remove the props too?

4 hours ago, summerpenguin said:

I am planning to buy a cover from Coveranything today. I talked with one of their associates yesterday because they don't have an Exact for my model & year, and I also want to cover my teak extended swim platform, so I am getting one for a 26.5' Euro Cruiser (even though I have a 240 Sig) and see what happens. I want to keep the snow off of it while it is on my lift during its winter nap. My question is, should I cover the pros/drive with a trash bag or giant christmas stocking? Should I remove the props too?

I always remove my prop for the winter and clean the shaft and load it with fresh grease.  I made a shaft cover out of PVC pipe to protect the shaft.  I take my prop inside, polish it up and store it inside.

21 hours ago, MonkeySeaII said:

I always remove my prop for the winter and clean the shaft and load it with fresh grease.  I made a shaft cover out of PVC pipe to protect the shaft.  I take my prop inside, polish it up and store it inside.

Thanks for the advice! Since mine is on a lift, I may have to get in one of my kayaks to take them off, but I agree it may be worthwhile.

I like the idea of a pvc pipe. It wouldn't hurt. Thanks!

Something I learned with having a red boat in FL and AZ was the ability to cover the colored gel coat is priceless. I was fighting a lot of oxidation problems from the sun. So I had a cover made that extends down below the colored gel coat on the sides and life is good...I haven't fought with oxidation in the past 6 years. That said it was a custom cover made from sunbrella material and cost over 1K, but my point is for those of us  that get a lot of strong sun on our oxidation prone colors, it was well worth the money to get it covered. The cover is still in great condition 6 years later by the way...love that sunbrella material.