BOB Barron

Garage

I'd love to put my boat in my garage. But its too tall and the trailer is to long.

How far do you need to drop it?  

A few ideas:

• Let a good bit of air out of the tires on the trailer
  • If garage door is attached to an opener, pull the emergency release--sometimes you can get the door up an extra inch or two
  • Sawzall :D

Exchange a bunk trailer for a all rollers trailer. They are often a lower cradle in the center.  A slightly larger trailer with smaller tires still rated for weight helps also.

That smaller tires ?  Can cause driveway dip rubbings.Ggoing in at a angle reduces the bottoming out of the trailer / boat.

It would help if we knew how much of a difference you are trying to over come. 

9 hours ago, Phillbo said:

It would help if we knew how much of a difference you are trying to over come. 

+1, give us something to start with.:)

Depending on how much extra clearance you need, consider 12 inch rims and a drop shank for your hitch. Drop the tongue as low as it will go, which will drop the windshield header. 

That said, my 220SSi will not fit under a 7 ft door unless I back up really fast...

brick

On ‎11‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 9:29 PM, BOB Barron said:

Trying to figure out how to get a 22ft  VRX under my 7 ft garage door, no windshield or tower,13"tires? Any suggestions?

I've built many garages through the decades (and have also customized a few) and depending on how much more height you need, there are a few tricks of the trade you can do to get up to 3" of additional height without a redo.  Or reframe it for a new 8' door.  It also depends on when and how it was built and if it's finished or rough on the inside.  What size is the current header in there and how high from the header is the ceiling, etc.  Need a lot more info (especially how much more height you need to clear the boat) and preferably pics.

What I'm asking on this Chaparral chat site is there anyone with a 22ft V R X that has lowered it enough to fit under a 7ft garage door. I think the windshield height is about 8ft 6 inches. I appreciate all the responses.

The OP states 'no windshield'..... 

A 1' 6" difference is going to be hard to overcome. 2 floor jacks and pull the wheels? 

Yeah, a foot and a half is not gonna happen unless you do one of two things:

1) Take the boat off the trailer and put it on dollies like @Bt Doctur said above and slide it in on those.

2) Reframe the garage opening for a 10ft door.  

You won’t drop it 18 inches. That’s a lot...

brick