Sign in to follow this  
blizkill8

Need help with 310 Signature! a variety of issues.

Hello All, 

I've decided to take fixing my boat into my own hands after a long list of failures by the dealer and mechanics. 

Up until about two years ago my 2013  310 signature has been running and working fine. After about two years of on and off neglect, it ended up having a gear oil leak and growth on the engines and hull, it needed to be hauled and fixed up. 

So far two mechanics have attempted to fix the enormous issues with this boat to no success. We've spent over 40,000 to have two drives replaced, on parts and labor. Then we got hit with a surprise 8000 bill for the boatyard while the mechanics lazily worked on the boat for nearly a year. 

Currently the boat is back together and will run in guardian mode. After being uncovered while in the boat yard for a year, the Garmin GPS and VHF no longer work. AS for the engines:  All of the sensors are going wild on the port engine. and an occasional sensor on the starboard side. The mechanic has stated that all of the sensors are wrong, the oil is fine, the coolant and sea water pump are both okay as well. On the off chance that it isn't in guardian mode it will get up on plane and up to 33 knots. But nearly the entire time we can't go above 6 knots, can't get on plane, and the engine alarms are sounding the entire time. The mechanic claims to have replaced all sensors with no success. He is saying crazy theories about how it may have been struck by lighting and the wiring system is all messed up. 

Current overall issues with the boat:

• The engine sensors / boat won't get on plane / limited to 5-7 knots issue. (stuck in guardian mode) 
  • The toilet won't flush, the light in the head is always red and never green. (I suspect the vacuum pump  is broken) 
  • The bilge pump float isn't operational, the pump itself works when activated from the helm, but not via float. 
  • The air conditioner will run in fan mode but never gets cold in AC mode, also appears to have mold on the return vent. 
  • The generator will not run at all. Has been serviced with tune up, oil change, sparks, carb etc. 
  • The shore power seems to be messed up. I have had four separate 30A-shorepower-cords catch fire at the lighthouse connection on three separate docks. (this first happened during the first month of ownership, unrelated to the neglect, the dealer was also of no help.) 
  • The rear storage hatch pops up when hitting waves and the boat bounces, it seems the latch can't hold it. 
  • The gas indicator gauge doesn't work.
  • On one engine or another, one or more of the following are non- or malfunctioning: Trim, battery voltage, oil, rpm. 
  • The GPS won't turn on
  • The VHF won't turn on. 
  • The engine hatch won't open. Every time I try to use hatch it will move up extremely slowly and the pop the breaker after 3-4 seconds. eventually I will get open enough to fit in, but takes about an hour. 
  • Both radio remote controls are non functioning, look water / sun damaged. 
  • The seats are all sun damaged. (the boat was left uncovered with engine hatch open for at least six months we suspect. 
  • The water smells gross / moldy after several flushings with fresh water. 
  • The middle glass hatch to walk-up through, flew off while underway. I was wondering where to purchase a new one? 
  • The screws holding the hardtop to the support rails bounce out while underway. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I love the boat, want to keep using it and start taking it to The Bahamas, if it could be trusted. I can't afford to hire too many more repairmen and none of them can seem to be trusted. I'm pretty handy myself and would rather money go to repairs than labor whenever possible. 

Please let me know any other info or media which may be helpful.

Best, and thank you!

My goodness.  At first I wasn't sure if I was reading a bad joke or a legitimately bad situation.  I don't know where to begin, to be honest.  First thing, take the Bahamas with that boat completely out of your thinking for a while.  That ain't gonna happen for some time.  

What did you mean by "growth on the engines"?  

35 minutes ago, blizkill8 said:

After about two years of on and off neglect, it ended up having a gear oil leak and growth on the engines and hull, it needed to be hauled and fixed up. 

Did you mean growth on the 'outdrives' or was there literally green growth on the engines from the hatch being open for 6 months and bushes started growing in there?!  

It sounds like you have a major electrical problem (batteries/charger/breaker panel/wires/shorts/corrosion) because of the shore power chords burning up and obviously only going 5-7 knots and alarms going off left and right is indicative of a major, major, major electrical and potentially a lot of other compounding issues.  Not to mention that it obviously sounds like you unfortunately had a pair of idiot clowns (literally) working on it if they left it open and exposed to the Florida weather for 6 months while they worked on it.  

What exactly did you spend the $40K on, just the 2 outdrives or engines also?  Do you have receipts for all that money spent and on what work supposedly done?  Any warranties on the parts?  Let's start with these questions first.

Your boats problem is being in the WRONG marina.   MOVE it anywhere else.  They do not want your business.  Just the big repair jobs. Then get it off their property.  It is that simple.

Cyclops

I dont take anything for granted.

Even in the water....growth on 

the engine?

There is plenty of mobile merc service in boca.

No need to rely on the marina

A lightening strike does not sound too far fetched...  Might try filing an insurance claim and get a new set of eyes on it from a more qualified mechanic.... 

I have a 310 Sig but 15 years older. My main problem is getting forward  gear engaged on the Port side drive. some of you guys are helping me and when its fixed ill concentrate on some of the more minor ones...a couple that are mentioned here in this post. A couple of these problems reported I had similar and this forum sorted them for me. Electrics. That is where I would start. 

Ill stay tuned as I will learn from you guys. 

Most of his problems are electric, probably due to corrosion.

I dont understand how a generator got a full tune up and does not run, how did they tune it up?

If I were a mechanic and there was mold growing, I probably would not get on the boat to work on it either.

I would start with a good cleaning and check your electrical connections.

There is some simple stuff you can do yourself to save yourself some money.

On 11/12/2018 at 6:19 PM, blizkill8 said:

Current overall issues with the boat:

• The engine sensors / boat won't get on plane / limited to 5-7 knots issue. (stuck in guardian mode) 
  • The toilet won't flush, the light in the head is always red and never green. (I suspect the vacuum pump  is broken) 
  • The bilge pump float isn't operational, the pump itself works when activated from the helm, but not via float. 
  • The air conditioner will run in fan mode but never gets cold in AC mode, also appears to have mold on the return vent. 
  • The generator will not run at all. Has been serviced with tune up, oil change, sparks, carb etc. 
  • The shore power seems to be messed up. I have had four separate 30A-shorepower-cords catch fire at the lighthouse connection on three separate docks. (this first happened during the first month of ownership, unrelated to the neglect, the dealer was also of no help.) 
  • The rear storage hatch pops up when hitting waves and the boat bounces, it seems the latch can't hold it. 
  • The gas indicator gauge doesn't work.
  • On one engine or another, one or more of the following are non- or malfunctioning: Trim, battery voltage, oil, rpm. 
  • The GPS won't turn on
  • The VHF won't turn on. 
  • The engine hatch won't open. Every time I try to use hatch it will move up extremely slowly and the pop the breaker after 3-4 seconds. eventually I will get open enough to fit in, but takes about an hour. 
  • Both radio remote controls are non functioning, look water / sun damaged. 
  • The seats are all sun damaged. (the boat was left uncovered with engine hatch open for at least six months we suspect. 
  • The middle glass hatch to walk-up through, flew off while underway. I was wondering where to purchase a new one? 
  • The screws holding the hardtop to the support rails bounce out while underway. 

I have a few thoughts.  As jeffk said, some of this is simple stuff you can do to save a ton of money.  Others, you can also do but it will cost some $$.  For instance:

Easy / save $$ items:

• bilge pump/float...change them out.  Buy at West Marine or even off Amazon to save $$
  • clean the mold off the a/c return vent.  compressor will be more complex, but look for codes and do your research.  Might be simple fix.
  • rear storage hatch...find part numbers and order new latch
  • engine hatch...takes an hour?  Have somebody assist the hatch by lifting up on it while actuating the motor.  This will prevent the overload situation and breaker popping.  Batteries probably weak.  If you're hooked up to shore power and charger is running, it might not pop the breaker and open faster due to the additional voltage/current (ask me how I know)
  • water system can be sanitized
  • screw holes can be reinforced

Other items that are relatively easy but cost some $$:

• One fix for the gauges (including fuel) would be to eliminate all of them in favor of a VesselView system.  These run off the diagnostic port on the motors and act as engine gateways as well.  This eliminates most of the wiring harness that may be compromised.  You would have to run a new cable from your diagnostic ports to the helm bypassing everything else. 
  • Add a NMEA 2000 network to network everything including the new radio remotes (and head unit) that you can swap out for a very nice upgrade.
  • GPS and VHF will likely need to be replaced due to being out in direct sunlight and not working.  These can also be added to the NMEA 2000 network for added capability.

A good mechanic can get your generator running.  Likely electrical (relay, sensor, etc.) 

I can't help with some of the other issues, but everything above should only run you $3k or so if you do most of the work.  The shore power issue may be your biggest issue....don't mess with that.  Get it repaired correctly.  You'll end up with a much upgraded vessel.

Good luck!

I kept breaking the speedo on my boat.

That thru hull from volvo cost $400.

After the last time I said screw it and went nmea 2000 everything runs through the gps, I love it.

He has to give his boat a deep cleaning before anybody gets on it.

How long have you owned this boat? Sounds like a sunk salvage. That is a LOOOOONGG list of electrical issues.... 

On ‎11‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 7:19 PM, blizkill8 said:

The engine sensors / boat won't get on plane / limited to 5-7 knots issue. (stuck in guardian mode) 

This is where he really needs to start.  If the engines are stuck most of the time in guardian mode, then there's 1 or more sensor telling the ECM to go into guardian mode (more commonly known as "limp mode.")  The only way to really diagnose which sensor is causing this is to get a well experienced mechanic with a scan tool and find out which sensor(s) is responsible which will then lead to the what needs to be repaired, whether it's a low oil pressure sensor or voltage/electrical or any of the affected systems. 

The rest of the items such as the vacuflush, GPS, AC etc (even generator) are all secondary to what is causing the engines to go into guardian mode.  Without a well-running boat, what good is a toilet or a generator or any of the other systems? 

Despite having already paid upwards of $50K, you're gonna HAVE TO find and pay a very qualified mechanic to scan your engines and find out exactly which sensors are triggering the limp mode condition and then replace and fix accordingly.  Get it done right from the start.  Being in Florida, there is no shortage of super qualified Merc mechanics there and you should be able to find someone to get this step done for you.  Once the sensors are scanned and you know why they're going off and putting the engines in limp mode, you can fix those issues and get the boat running at proper RPMs and speed and then you can take care of all the other secondary issues one by one.

Here is the cheat sheet for Mercriuser warning horns and you need to concentrate on the issues that induce the higher percentage power limiting modes. Could be something as simple as corrosion on a gang plug as others have said, but without a scan tool in hand it may be hard to identify the bad actor. Your smart craft display will give you a readout on many of the sensors if you access the "active alarms" menu during the event. Per the list, Merc severely limits power only for low engine oil pressure, low drive lube oil level, low sea water pump pressure, engine coolant elevated temperature, and high exhaust temperature so your list should be pretty short. Could be an actual, verifiable condition or a failing sensor but all of the listed issues are hard core and easy to check.  W

Warning System

The engine warning system incorporates an audio alarm and, if installed, a SC1000 System Monitor. When the key switch is turned to the ON position, the audio alarm will momentarily activate to test the warning system. The alarm should sound once if the system is operable. This table is a guick guide, showing what warning output will accompany a fault.

Fault

SC1000

Audio Alarm

Available Power

Description

Cam Sensor

Yes

2 Bp/min

90%

Open or short, engine must be cranking to set this fault code.

ECT CKT HI

Yes

2 Bp/min

90%

Open

ECT CKT LO

Yes

2 Bp/min

90%

Short

ECT Coolant Overheat

Yes

Constant

6-100 %

Engine guardian overheat condition

EST 1-8 Open

Yes

2 Bp/min

NA

Coil harness wire open

EST 1-8 Short

Yes

2 Bp/min

NA

Coil harness wire short

Fuel Injector 1-8 Open

Yes

2 Bp/min

NA

Fuel injector wire open

Fuel Injector 1-8 Short

Yes

2 Bp/min

NA

Fuel injector wire short

IAC Output

Yes

2 Bp/min

90%

Only with rpm

Knock Sensor 1

Yes

2 Bp/min

90%

Alarm sounds for 20 seconds in NEUTRAL and indefinitely in gear.

Knock Sensor 2

Yes

2 Bp/min

90%

Alarm sounds for 20 seconds in NEUTRAL and indefinitely in gear.

Low Drive Lube Strategy

Yes

Steady Bp

0-100%

Low oil in sterndrive

Low Oil Pressure Strategy

Yes

Constant

0-100%

Low oil pressure strategy

MAP Sensor 1 Input High

No

2 Bp/min

90%

Short, no visual on SC1000

MAP Sensor 1 Input Low

No

2 Bp/min

90%

Open, no visual on SC1000

MAT Sensor

Yes

2 Bp/min

90%

Open or short in MAT circuit

NOTE: If any 5v sensor becomes shorted to ground the engine will not start. If the engine is operating when the short occurs the engine may stop operating and will not start.

Fault

SC1000

Audio Alarm

Available Power

Description

Oil PSI CKT Hi

Yes

2 Bp/min

90%

Short, defaults to 51.7 psi

Oil PSI CKT Lo

Yes

2 Bp/min

90%

Open, zero oil pressure

Overspeed

Yes

Constant

RPM Limit

Engine over rpm limit

Port EMCT CKT Hi

Yes

2 Bp/min

90%

Open, defaults to 32 degrees F (0 degree C)

Port EMCT CKT Lo

Yes

2 Bp/min

90%

Short, defaults to 32 degrees F (0 degree C)

Port EMCT CKT

Overheat

Yes

Constant

6-100%

Overheat condition, 212 degrees F (100 degrees C) limit

Sea Pump PSI Lo

Yes

Constant

6-100%

Low water pressure strategy, defaults to

43.4 psi

Sea Pump CKT Hi

Yes

2 Bp/min

90%

Open

Sea Pump CKT Lo

Yes

2 Bp/min

90%

Short

STB EMCT CKT Hi

Yes

2 Bp/min

90%

Open, defaults to 32 degrees F (0 degrees C)

STB EMCT CKT Lo

Yes

2 Bp/min

90%

Short, defaults to 32 degrees F (0 degrees C)

STB EMCT CKT

Overheat

Yes

Constant

6-100%

Overheat condition, 212 degrees (100 degrees C) limit

Steer CKT Hi

Yes

No

No

Open and short

TPS1 CKT Hi

Yes

2 Bp/min

90%

Short, signal to 5v+, engine will not start. Refer to data monitor screen.

TPS1 CKT Lo

Yes

2 Bp/min

90%

Open

TPS 1 Range Hi

Yes

2 Bp/min

90%

Above 4.8v, 994 counts

TPS 1 Range Lo

Yes

2 Bp/min

90%

Below 0.5v, 35 counts

Trim CKT Hi

Yes

No

No

Short, high range, visual warning on SC1000 only.

Trim CKT Lo

Yes

No

No

Open, low range, visual warning on SC1000 only.

5 VDC PWR Low

Yes

2 Bp/min

varies

Short any 5v+ to ground

NOTE: If any 5v sensor becomes shorted to ground the engine will not start. If the engine is operating when the short occurs the engine may stop operating and will not start.

Hello All, 

First and Foremost, thank you all very much for your help and input :) 

Just to clarify, above when I stated "engines had growth" I meant the outdrives, not the engines themselves in the bilge. 

I have spent the past few months working to fix what I can myself, here is where I'm at: 

• Guardian Mode SOLVED, it was faulty water pressure sensor and oil pressure sensors on both engines. Despite mechanic blaming he replaced them, he didn't, and as soon as I did myself the boat has been running perfect. 
  • Toilet not working SOLVED, the wiring to the vacuum pump was disconnected, I assume it was the mechanic who did so... maybe it was a legitimate reason, but I suspect he was trying to drum up more work. 
  • Installed new bilge float. 
  • Loose hardtop screws, SOLVED, used loctite to thread them down good. 
  • More recently, the hatch lift had broken, and I have since replaced it with a Lenco actuator. I also noticed the house battery no longer operational so I replaced with 2x Duracell marine batteries wired in parallel, totaling 210Ah between the two of them. 

The outstanding issues, to be tackled in the coming week (hopefully): 

• The generator will not run at all. Has been serviced with tune up, oil change, sparks, carb etc. (It seems the seawater impeller is covered in salt build up) 
  • The shore power seems to be messed up. I have had four separate 30A-shorepower-cords catch fire at the lighthouse connection on three separate docks. (this first happened during the first month of ownership, unrelated to the neglect, the dealer was also of no help.)  (I'm seeking a qualified marine electrician to handle this, as it's likely above my head.) 
  • The rear storage hatch pops up when hitting waves and the boat bounces, it seems the latch can't hold it. (latch on order)  
  • On one engine or another, one or more of the following are non- or malfunctioning: Trim, battery voltage, oil, rpm. and The gas indicator gauge doesn't work.
    • For the above, I am looking into the vessel view system to replace the nonfunctioning gauges, possibly integrated with a fuel flow sensor.
  • The Garmin GPS 5208 and Garmin VHF 200 won't turn on, I'm considering they may just be dead at this point from sitting out in the sun and rain. 
  • Both clarion radio remote controls are non functioning, look water / sun damaged.(looking into replacement alternatives)  
  • The seats are all sun damaged. (the boat was left uncovered with engine hatch open for at least six months we suspect.) 
  • The middle glass hatch to walk-up through, flew off while underway. I was wondering where to purchase a new one? (saving this for last, low priority as boat is kept dry docked inside now anyway.) 

20 minutes ago, blizkill8 said:

Hello All, 

Just to clarify, above when I stated "engines had growth" I meant the outdrives, not the engines themselves in the bilge. 

I have spent the past few months working to fix what I can myself, here is where I'm at: 

• Guardian Mode SOLVED, it was faulty water pressure sensor and oil pressure sensors on both engines. Despite mechanic blaming he replaced them, he didn't, and as soon as I did myself the boat has been running perfect. 
  • Toilet not working SOLVED, the wiring to the vacuum pump was disconnected, I assume it was the mechanic who did so... maybe it was a legitimate reason, but I suspect he was trying to drum up more work. 
  • Installed new bilge float. 
  • Loose hardtop screws, SOLVED, used loctite to thread them down good. 
  • More recently, the hatch lift had broken, and I have since replaced it with a Lenco actuator. I also noticed the house battery no longer operational so I replaced with 2x Duracell marine batteries wired in parallel, totaling 210Ah between the two of them. 

The outstanding issues, to be tackled in the coming week (hopefully): 

• The generator will not run at all. Has been serviced with tune up, oil change, sparks, carb etc. (It seems the seawater impeller is covered in salt build up) 
  • The shore power seems to be messed up. I have had four separate 30A-shorepower-cords catch fire at the lighthouse connection on three separate docks. (this first happened during the first month of ownership, unrelated to the neglect, the dealer was also of no help.)  (I'm seeking a qualified marine electrician to handle this, as it's likely above my head.) 
  • The rear storage hatch pops up when hitting waves and the boat bounces, it seems the latch can't hold it. (latch on order)  
  • On one engine or another, one or more of the following are non- or malfunctioning: Trim, battery voltage, oil, rpm. and The gas indicator gauge doesn't work.
    • For the above, I am looking into the vessel view system to replace the nonfunctioning gauges, possibly integrated with a fuel flow sensor.
  • The Garmin GPS 5208 and Garmin VHF 200 won't turn on, I'm considering they may just be dead at this point from sitting out in the sun and rain. 
  • Both clarion radio remote controls are non functioning, look water / sun damaged.(looking into replacement alternatives)  
  • The seats are all sun damaged. (the boat was left uncovered with engine hatch open for at least six months we suspect.) 
  • The middle glass hatch to walk-up through, flew off while underway. I was wondering where to purchase a new one? (saving this for last, low priority as boat is kept dry docked inside now anyway.) 

- AC would clean real well and try again

- Generator probably going to have call somebody

-gauges I would pull a few off and check them for corrosion and check all breakers, and lastly follow the wires all the way back to the engine checking connections and for corrosion.  Could try replacing one gauge but chances are they don't all work its not gauges.  For fuel and trim.  Trim is probably the black puck on the out drive, cheap part to replace, fuel might be the sender in the tank.

-Seats if they are that bad find a local shop to give you new skins,  local shops usually do very good and are way less then factory skins

-Smelly water they offer sanatizers to flush.  or I would just dump a bunch of bleach in there run it through everything then let it sit with bleach for 24 hours and flush multiple times.

Sounds like you are more capable than the mechanics in your area. If you enjoy working on her keep it up, you are making great progress!!

For the stinky water... fill the fresh water tank half full and put in a couple gallons of bleach.... after you take it for a cruise empty the tank by opening all water faucets on the boat.... Kind of like shocking a pool but you have to get the shock though the lines as well. 

Do not flush the head with this shock treatment in the tank.... it's not good on the seals. Use a water and vinegar mix and put a small amount in with each flush for a while.. 

17 hours ago, blizkill8 said:

Hello All, 

Well, I'm glad you cleared that up.  Growth on the engines would've been a whoooole other story! 

17 hours ago, blizkill8 said:

Seriously?  That's just unbelievable.  That poor boat has really suffered from the neglect and I'll be perfectly honest with you, you are partly to blame for this.  Hope you don't take this the wrong way, but unless you were dealing with a major health or family crisis, that boat should've never been left in the hands of such careless douchebags for such a long time without at least checking in on it.  Left outside wide open without any covers or protection for a year is unfathomable.  That 2013 Signature 310 is a $200K +/- boat brand new!  How is it possible that you didn't think to check in on it even after a month? This isn't a canoe or a skiff or something like that.  Sorry if I'm being harsh on you, but I'm dumbfounded by this.    

1 hour ago, Hatem said:

Well, I'm glad you cleared that up.  Growth on the engines would've been a whoooole other story! 

Seriously?  That's just unbelievable.  That poor boat has really suffered from the neglect and I'll be perfectly honest with you, you are partly to blame for this.  Hope you don't take this the wrong way, but unless you were dealing with a major health or family crisis, that boat should've never been left in the hands of such careless douchebags for such a long time without at least checking in on it.  Left outside wide open without any covers or protection for a year is unfathomable.  That 2013 Signature 310 is a $200K +/- boat brand new!  How is it possible that you didn't think to check in on it even after a month? This isn't a canoe or a skiff or something like that.  Sorry if I'm being harsh on you, but I'm dumbfounded by this.    

I'm not one to judge and who knows the situation.  With that said  it happens all the time with 3-400k houses by both people that have money and those that dont.  What I have come to find out is frankly some people don't care and some people have more money than sense.

On 11/14/2018 at 4:16 PM, TexasPilot71 said:

I have a few thoughts.  As jeffk said, some of this is simple stuff you can do to save a ton of money.  Others, you can also do but it will cost some $$.  For instance:

Easy / save $$ items:

• bilge pump/float...change them out.  Buy at West Marine or even off Amazon to save $$
  • clean the mold off the a/c return vent.  compressor will be more complex, but look for codes and do your research.  Might be simple fix.
  • rear storage hatch...find part numbers and order new latch
  • engine hatch...takes an hour?  Have somebody assist the hatch by lifting up on it while actuating the motor.  This will prevent the overload situation and breaker popping.  Batteries probably weak.  If you're hooked up to shore power and charger is running, it might not pop the breaker and open faster due to the additional voltage/current (ask me how I know)
  • water system can be sanitized
  • screw holes can be reinforced

Other items that are relatively easy but cost some $$:

• One fix for the gauges (including fuel) would be to eliminate all of them in favor of a VesselView system.  These run off the diagnostic port on the motors and act as engine gateways as well.  This eliminates most of the wiring harness that may be compromised.  You would have to run a new cable from your diagnostic ports to the helm bypassing everything else. 
  • Add a NMEA 2000 network to network everything including the new radio remotes (and head unit) that you can swap out for a very nice upgrade.
  • GPS and VHF will likely need to be replaced due to being out in direct sunlight and not working.  These can also be added to the NMEA 2000 network for added capability.

A good mechanic can get your generator running.  Likely electrical (relay, sensor, etc.) 

I can't help with some of the other issues, but everything above should only run you $3k or so if you do most of the work.  The shore power issue may be your biggest issue....don't mess with that.  Get it repaired correctly.  You'll end up with a much upgraded vessel.

Good luck!

Yep!

On 3/8/2019 at 8:06 AM, Hatem said:

So this boat actually was bought brand new by my parents, they’re the ones who have neglected it and then after it was good and destroyed, (they were “sick of boating, and it’s headaches”)  I went ahead and bought it from them. 

So you’re right it was severely neglected, however it also had many many issues straight from the factory (like the shore power cords burning up 3 different occasions, once was the very first season!!) my parents were too busy, (Doctors) to properly care for it. 

So now it’s in my hands, and I’m trying to fix all I can myself to cut down on costs and learn the boat and boat mechanics so that I can learn best before going ahead and upgrading in the future. 

15 hours ago, blizkill8 said:

So this boat actually was bought brand new by my parents, they’re the ones who have neglected it and then after it was good and destroyed, (they were “sick of boating, and it’s headaches”)  I went ahead and bought it from them. 

So you’re right it was severely neglected, however it also had many many issues straight from the factory (like the shore power cords burning up 3 different occasions, once was the very first season!!) my parents were too busy, (Doctors) to properly care for it. 

So now it’s in my hands, and I’m trying to fix all I can myself to cut down on costs and learn the boat and boat mechanics so that I can learn best before going ahead and upgrading in the future. 

I see.  That makes more sense, now.  I'm glad you took my honest criticism like a man.  Something we don't see quite often on this board which is frankly refreshing.  :clapsmiley:

I forget if you've mentioned this already, but I also hope you took it far away from those circus clowns in mechanic suits!  Yes?  Bought a nice, heavy-duty cover for it to keep it dry from FLA weather?  That is a gorgeous boat and worth a TON of money, especially now that Chaparral has stopped making that and the 330 line. 

As far as your 30amp shorepower cords burning up and since it keeps happening, there's usually 3 reasons for that.

1) Power cord isn't locked correctly into the post or the inlet at the boat.  Somehow I doubt that's your problem since it happened to 3 different cords and you can't be installing it incorrectly every time.  Still, double check the way you put them in and be sure they turn and lock into place correctly just to eliminate that point.  Also try a different post just for the heck of it and make sure it is a 30amp cord.

2) The cord is damaged which I doubt since you tried 3 of them and chances of all 3 being bad is highly unlikely.  Still, try a different brand from a different source.

3) And the most likely problem is the inlet on the boat where you plug into is wired incorrectly or damage someway.  It might have some corrosion creating more resistance causing the cord heating up and burning. 

On 3/10/2019 at 4:45 PM, blizkill8 said:

As to your cord burning up...   I installed this on my boat because I have seen cords burn up before.   https://www.defender.com/product.jsp?name=smartplug-30-amp-125-volt-shore-power-inlet-and-retrofit-connector-kit&path=-1|328|2290035|2290039&id=3472976

But if its happened three times at different power stands and if its not happening to anyone else on the docks. Than its your boat, I hate to say. I would first use a contact cleaner on your cord, your plug and power station. Why did the main breaker on your boat and the power station trip??  Well in your salt water, spray contact cleaner in the lighthouse breaker and socket. If its stiff/ hard to switch off and on, have them replace it. Its NOT hard from them to do.  But check out your breaker too. If your cord is too long, that could be a small part of the problem adding to it.

The lighthouse towers come two different ways. Most places just buy the tower with no breakers and sockets, it cheaper and than the club/mariner install junk. Rather than buying them pre-wired.  

The Garmin units, I bet they just don't have power.  The NMEA 2k network, that gives you a whole new world to add things or do things. Tap into the engines computer and display data on your GPS. Add fuel flow sensors or any sensor you may want. Makes connecting the GPS, VHF and AIS so easy. It so sounds like you have a Fusion system due to the fact that its using that backbone.