Pogo Junior

Towing a Dinghy

On ‎12‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 6:05 PM, Pogo Junior said:

Ok. I will find a more secure way to hitch the inflatable rather than tow it. My main problem is still where to put the motor while the dinghy is sideways. If I hang the dinghy upright with the motor on it, the bouncing might be too much for the transom board to take.

This just goes to show you there are essentially 2 types of people in this world.  #1 the ones who would never walk out of their house without their hair perfectly combed or would never skip a step on a set of stairs because of the 1% chance they might catch an edge and trip (got many of them on this board lol).  #2 are those who find a way to get 'er done.

:lol:

81e001ca_6b82_4331_a83d_9af01862a00e_2be

15 hours ago, Denny said:

IMG-2153.jpg

That is awesome.  So I see those 6 support poles for that platform are attached to the transom, but I'm guessing there is some detachable connection to the clips or plates that you can easily disconnect when you remove it, and those clips are permanently bolted/screwed to the transom right?  Is there like a pin or bolt to attach/detach those?  I doubt you're removing the connection from the transom every time.  EDIT: I do see what looks like catch wires for maybe some pins?

Can you turn the outdrive all the way in each direction with those poles on each side?  

12 hours ago, Hatem said:

That is awesome.  So I see those 6 support poles for that platform are attached to the transom, but I'm guessing there is some detachable connection to the clips or plates that you can easily disconnect when you remove it, and those clips are permanently bolted/screwed to the transom right?  Is there like a pin or bolt to attach/detach those?  I doubt you're removing the connection from the transom every time.  EDIT: I do see what looks like catch wires for maybe some pins?

Can you turn the outdrive all the way in each direction with those poles on each side?  

The poles do not interfere with the outdrive in any way.

There are permanently mounted  brackets on the transom, and a S.S. tube mounted on the under side on each end of the S. platform, to receive the upper main frame. The upper frame actually looks like a rectangular box with 2 arms sticking out of it.

All is held together with removable pins that are attached to the poles with lanyards.

Originally there were only 2 poles, but they were not strong enough to hold the weight, so now there are 6, and 2 J shaped hooks (that I made out of 1/4 in. flat steel plate, and had them chrome plated) mounted on the bottom side of the S. platform that hooks on to the center of the front upper bar.

The tubes and fittings are all S.S. and the covering is Sunbrella.

I can walk on it, it is like having an extended S. platform, just not as pretty. 

The reason for the S.S. chains in the other photo, is to hold the bars up in place to make it easier to hook them up.

This photo is of the original design, it crashed and burned a couple of times. First came the idea and then came the work in progress. That is the way that I have always do it, don't know of any other way.  Denny.

IMG-1887.jpg

th?id=OIP.RzVMXRaZ4Gere6n5lCcvAAHaHa&pid=15.1&P=0&w=300&h=300th?id=OIP.n2rjMkeL97Z3dxPfdvI4ngHaHa&pid=15.1&P=0&w=300&h=300

11 hours ago, Denny said:

The poles do not interfere with the outdrive in any way.

There are permanently mounted  brackets on the transom, and a S.S. tube mounted on the under side on each end of the S. platform, to receive the upper main frame. The upper frame actually looks like a rectangular box with 2 arms sticking out of it.

All is held together with removable pins that are attached to the poles with lanyards.

Originally there were only 2 poles, but they were not strong enough to hold the weight, so now there are 6, and 2 J shaped hooks (that I made out of 1/4 in. flat steel plate, and had them chrome plated) mounted on the bottom side of the S. platform that hooks on to the center of the front upper bar.

The tubes and fittings are all S.S. and the covering is Sunbrella.

I can walk on it, it is like having an extended S. platform, just not as pretty. 

The reason for the S.S. chains in the other photo, is to hold the bars up in place to make it easier to hook them up.

This photo is of the original design, it crashed and burned a couple of times. First came the idea and then came the work in progress. That is the way that I have always do it, don't know of any other way.  Denny.

IMG-1887.jpg

th?id=OIP.RzVMXRaZ4Gere6n5lCcvAAHaHa&pid=15.1&P=0&w=300&h=300th?id=OIP.n2rjMkeL97Z3dxPfdvI4ngHaHa&pid=15.1&P=0&w=300&h=300

Very cool, Denny.  Genius design and well put together.  Those brackets with pins got my head twirling with all sorts of ideas.  I'm pretty sure they can be used to support some type of fabricated and removable brackets to mount the kayak on. 

Is that an underwater light or a prop alert warning sensor you got mounted there to the bottom right of the transom plate?

Those lever pins are great for most anything.  The only real short coming of them is to have the longer end of the toggled lever pointed  UP. Otherwise the top heavy end can fall level and vibrate out over time.  VERY RARE if a constant load is on the pin.

I think it looks GREAT and if it works for you the better!!!

My only concern is and I have a davit system that hangs about 60% of my inflatable past the swimming platform. Much like this one, is the wight of the inflatable. It is going to be harder to get on plane. My inflatable is 100lbs and you can feel it out there. My trim settings are different and as long as your aware of it, your fine.   

33 minutes ago, cyclops2 said:

Me thinks 3  ...200 pound people at the stern seats would be a bigger drag down  ?

Not getting it completely .......... But because its hanging over the transom like it is. It causes the boat to be more stern heavy, than it really is.  

8 hours ago, cyclops2 said:

Those lever pins are great for most anything.  The only real short coming of them is to have the longer end of the toggled lever pointed  UP. Otherwise the top heavy end can fall level and vibrate out over time.  VERY RARE if a constant load is on the pin.

That pin is spring loaded, believe me, it will not come out, and I always make sure that the long end is pointed down.  Denny.

11 hours ago, Hatem said:

Very cool, Denny.  Genius design and well put together.  Those brackets with pins got my head twirling with all sorts of ideas.  I'm pretty sure they can be used to support some type of fabricated and removable brackets to mount the kayak on. 

Is that an underwater light or a prop alert warning sensor you got mounted there to the bottom right of the transom plate?

That is an underwater light, I have another one on the port side.

It is really neat when you can take an idea and hold or look at the finished product, if it works out, send pictures.  Denny.

16 hours ago, Denny said:

That is an underwater light, I have another one on the port side.

It is really neat when you can take an idea and hold or look at the finished product, if it works out, send pictures.  Denny.

I'm curious do you have a flag pole?  Just wondering because that style boat(s) with those teak rails that go all the way around the sides at the stern and transom basically cover the entire stretch of that gunnel and don't leave you a place to mount a flagpole holder.  The one spot at the center of the transom where's there no rail would be the best spot for a flag, but is occupied by that line ring.  I'm making a mahogany flagpole on my lathe for a buddy of mine who's doing a full restoration of his 21' Chris Craft runabout.  Actually contemplating making it out of purple heart since I have this nice piece that's been sitting on the shop rack for about 18 years now.  Yours should have one made out of teak.

9 hours ago, Hatem said:

I'm curious do you have a flag pole?  Just wondering because that style boat(s) with those teak rails that go all the way around the sides at the stern and transom basically cover the entire stretch of that gunnel and don't leave you a place to mount a flagpole holder.  The one spot at the center of the transom where's there no rail would be the best spot for a flag, but is occupied by that line ring.  I'm making a mahogany flagpole on my lathe for a buddy of mine who's doing a full restoration of his 21' Chris Craft runabout.  Actually contemplating making it out of purple heart since I have this nice piece that's been sitting on the shop rack for about 18 years now.  Yours should have one made out of teak.

No flag pole, and no colors to fly. When I belonged to a club, I did have a club burgee, but I only flew it when I was tied up, and then I just hung it from my antenna.

Next to my shop is a lumber place that specializes in all kinds of wood, and one day he showed me some of that purple heart, WOW, what a beautiful piece of wood, if you do, pictures please. As I see it the only bad thing is, it won't match the resteration.  Denny.

8 hours ago, Denny said:

No flag pole, and no colors to fly. When I belonged to a club, I did have a club burgee, but I only flew it when I was tied up, and then I just hung it from my antenna.

Next to my shop is a lumber place that specializes in all kinds of wood, and one day he showed me some of that purple heart, WOW, what a beautiful piece of wood, if you do, pictures please. As I see it the only bad thing is, it won't match the resteration.  Denny.

That's why we've been talking about making it out of something different than what 99% of all the CCs out there have which is the same-matching mahogany wood and finish.  He's going to have 2 of them, one on the bow and the other on the stern.  Should look pretty cool.  Lemme know if you want one, I can whip em up in no time at all.  1/4" base diameter with a tapered neck to a 1-1/4" ball at the top, about 28" long. 

5 hours ago, Hatem said:

That's why we've been talking about making it out of something different than what 99% of all the CCs out there have which is the same-matching mahogany wood and finish.  He's going to have 2 of them, one on the bow and the other on the stern.  Should look pretty cool.  Lemme know if you want one, I can whip em up in no time at all.  1/4" base diameter with a tapered neck to a 1-1/4" ball at the top, about 28" long. 

Thanks for the kind offer, I'm just not sure where I would mount it and what colors I would fly on it.

Not sure what you mean when you say the base is 1/4 inch.  Denny. 

18 hours ago, Denny said:

Thanks for the kind offer, I'm just not sure where I would mount it and what colors I would fly on it.

You're welcome but wuuut?  The good ol' stars and stripes?

18 hours ago, Denny said:

Not sure what you mean when you say the base is 1/4 inch.  Denny. 

lol,  I guess my 1 key either got stuck or I spaced out and didn't push it.  1-1/4" diameter base for about 24 inches then it starts tapering to a 7/8"" throat before the ball.  I was going to make them soon but he won't be done with his restoration for another year, at least. 

14 hours ago, Hatem said:

You're welcome but wuuut?  The good ol' stars and stripes?

lol,  I guess my 1 key either got stuck or I spaced out and didn't push it.  1-1/4" diameter base for about 24 inches then it starts tapering to a 7/8"" throat before the ball.  I was going to make them soon but he won't be done with his restoration for another year, at least. 

Way back in the late 60's early 70's on my 15 ft Mark Twain, I did fly the marine version of the US flag on my masthead light pole.

That makes more sense, I thought that it was a little skinny LOL.  Denny.

Fantastic job you’ve done there Denny. That will have more use for me than just carrying a dinghy. Only problem is that my boat is normally docked in a 35ft slip in a marina and they will not allow no more than 3ft extensions. If I am to do my version, maybe I will use a netting material similar to those on catamarans so we can lie down on it when anchored. Just a wild idea.

4 hours ago, Pogo Junior said:

Fantastic job you’ve done there Denny. That will have more use for me than just carrying a dinghy. Only problem is that my boat is normally docked in a 35ft slip in a marina and they will not allow no more than 3ft extensions. If I am to do my version, maybe I will use a netting material similar to those on catamarans so we can lie down on it when anchored. Just a wild idea.

I assume that you have a built in s. platform, and you are aloud a 3 ft extension from that? If so I believe that my extension is around that. If you like I can check it out and get you exact measurements.  Denny.

2 hours ago, Denny said:

I assume that you have a built in s. platform, and you are aloud a 3 ft extension from that? If so I believe that my extension is around that. If you like I can check it out and get you exact measurements.  Denny.

My boat is around 33ft long plus 3ft swim platform, total of 36ft. The slip is 35ft so I extend at least 1ft. My swim platform has 8 stainless rods supporting it. So what I plan is just to lift the 5ft wide dinghy onto the 3ft platform and support the remaining 2ft with nylon straps tied to the cleats or rails of the boat.

8 hours ago, Pogo Junior said:

My boat is around 33ft long plus 3ft swim platform, total of 36ft. The slip is 35ft so I extend at least 1ft. My swim platform has 8 stainless rods supporting it. So what I plan is just to lift the 5ft wide dinghy onto the 3ft platform and support the remaining 2ft with nylon straps tied to the cleats or rails of the boat.

Ok, I see you are out of room. 2 questions, first is your dingy a hard bottom, second will it set on your s.platform without any extended support? Do you have any photos of both, and maybe showing how it would set on the boat?   Denny.