Pogo Junior

Towing a Dinghy

Can anyone tell me the maximum speed for a Signature 330 that is still safe for towing an unmanned dinghy? This is for a 30-mile run I plan for next month.

1 hour ago, Pogo Junior said:

Can anyone tell me the maximum speed for a Signature 330 that is still safe for towing an unmanned dinghy? This is for a 30-mile run I plan for next month.

I would call the dealer of the dinghy and explain the size of the dinghy and power source.You could also look on the net to see what others have successfully done. Just type in how to tow a dinghy behind another boat.  Denny.

Sometimes the location of the BOW  CENTERLINE  connection point makes a huge differenceat maximum speeds. Your wake shapes will determine a lot. So does the length of rope used. S0me line lengths get very unstable suddenly as you cut thru another boats wake. A stable dingy will whip violently & toss out anything NOT STRAPPED INTO IT.  Been there Arrived & no more oars in the little boat.I always tie the small boat to a STER SIDE CORNER CLEAT.   It keeps the line out of the center wake. I use a short line for a couple of reasons.

Jerkoff PWC idiots Love cutting close to the cruiser wakes. The rope is visable. tTey are so hopped up they do not see it or connect the towed boat having a rope to it.More than 1 skier has been bloodedup I am sure. I look straight ahead.  I never feel the impact of windshield or body.  His problem.

Line can be kept out of the water easier. Cruiser I set it between the bow wave & center wave.

Geezer edit

I find that the towing eye CLOSEST to the water is most stable for the small boat.  ANY TOWED BOAT actually..

IF IF you LEAVE A ……...out board motor attached...……..MAKE SURE the motor is raised & LOCKED UP.out of the water at speed !!!!!!!!!!..……..Some O B motors can RAM THE WATER UP the motor & into the cylinder.   Done that more than 1 time...…….. When you try to hand or electric start it ???????????????? no can spin the motor at all...………… STOP cranking !!!!!!!!!!

Take out all spark plugs.  Now crank the motorfor a few times to pump all the water out.  Shake water out of the pluga.  Blow out the with you breath. Shake them again. .I always carry spare NEW set of plugs for this problem. New plus go in. A little choke for a cold engine. INstant start.  I buy a new set of spares next day.

Medication

Too many variables to come up with a firm number. Hook it up and take it for a spin to determine what you are comfortable with.

Well I tried!! First off, your not saying what type. Aluminum, Glass, soft bottom and I don't think wood. Or the size...........

If your trying to get on plane, I would almost say the more weight the better in towing. Doing 22 to 28 knots, the air (if light enough) will get under it and flip it over.

You better off adding davits and there are so many to choose from. 

I have a Sig 290 with a 8 1/2 foot Al inaltable, at 100 lbs. I ended up installing davits that are like to arm., so it lays flat and it will not catch the wind. Well it helps but better than standing up! Otherwise, I would have to tow it at headway speed. I could do up to 15 knots, but I would just be burning up fuel.

Thanks for all the replies. My dinghy is an 8ft inflatable with smooth soft bottom and 2.5hp propane ob motor. I was hoping to avoid hanging the inflatable so I don’t have to remove the motor. I still have no place to hang an outboard on my Signature. Definitely, I will raise the motor prop during the tow.

7 hours ago, Pogo Junior said:

Thanks for all the replies. My dinghy is an 8ft inflatable with smooth soft bottom and 2.5hp propane ob motor. I was hoping to avoid hanging the inflatable so I don’t have to remove the motor. I still have no place to hang an outboard on my Signature. Definitely, I will raise the motor prop during the tow.

Be careful, it could catch air and flip, it happened to me. I then figured out a way to mount it to my swim platform, now I can go at any speed. Denny.

If the boat is just for putting around & to shore ? Keep it deflated until needed. Store it in a lockable WHITE ONLY box.   ((  That color keeps insides cooler ))  On the swim platform. With the O B and Propane tank.

Put a full length strip of very smooth tape on the rubbing edges of the box. To prevent scratching the inflatable as it is simply air dried on the platform for a while. Then slowly deflated into the box on top of the tank & motor.

When the dingy is in use ?  Keep the white box lid locked UP to dry out & prevent mold. Mold starts ? A weak bleach wash out works very well.

The box could be insulated or not.  A drain plug would be needed if the dingy had to be stored wet in a emergency. There are 12vdc HIGH VOLUME air pumps to mount in the engine or some other space with a air hose to reach the stern or under a lift up seat.

Piece of cake job   :)

9 hours ago, Pogo Junior said:

I wouldn't tow it for a 30-mile run, unless you want to do it at maximum 10-12knts, if that.  Denny is right, not only will it take a beating, it might go flying and flip.

I'd find a way to tie it down securely on the swim platform, even without brackets and you don't even need to take the outboard off.  Just have the outboard off to one side and tie it down to all available cleats and points that you can and really well.  I would also tie it down to your stern mounting eyes so it doesn't bounce up and down.  I wouldn't go WOT but you should be able to step on it little bit while keeping an eye on it and you should be fine. 

63a54d2c0430bb7783b036d958a97316--inflat

If you look at the above pic, there is a davit system midship on the inflatable. As in the Hurley system https://hurleymarine.com/shop/dinghy-davit-boat/h3o/

I would not just lay it down and and just tie it off. With the right system for you as Denny has mentioned "you can go at any speed". I would take the engine off if its not a glass or AL inflatable. It will not be able to take the stress in bouncing. Another reason is weight, it will be harder to pull it up and maybe to get on plane.

As a side note on transporting a little 8' boat around. I hitched up the Lowe 16' aluminum X 4.5' wide fish boat with a 9.9 Evinrude boat with loads of gear behind the 186 SSI with the V 8.

I used a piece of heavy walled aluminum THREADED  pipe and put ringed eyed end caps on it. Clevis bolted it to both boats tow eyes . It ran off either side of the wake . the Lowe boat has a very low bow towing eye.  Ran very smoothly on the side of the stern wake. No problem ever. I do slow down for other boat wakes.

But 30 mph towing speeds beats anything else.   The Chap is the "" Mother ship ""  Lowe is the fishing boat in waters too dangerous for bow riders to enter.

On ‎12‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 1:51 PM, cyclops2 said:

As a side note on transporting a little 8' boat around. I hitched up the Lowe 16' aluminum X 4.5' wide fish boat with a 9.9 Evinrude boat with loads of gear behind the 186 SSI with the V 8.

I've tied a kayak on the swim platform and cruised with it no problem.  I had to back out of the slip a little until the swim platform cleared the dock so there was enough room since the kayak stuck out on both sides a bit.  Jumped in the water while my wife handed me the lines and I dove under to tie the lines through the stern eyes and back up.  Put a few towels under and next to the kayak so it wouldn't scratch anything and tied it really well and went to Boston harbor doing about 20mph.  Held perfectly fine and didn't even move a smidgen.  If you think enough, there's almost always a temporary solution. 

Now that we use the kayak more often, thinking of a permanent solution and might get some brackets for it.  Maybe something like these that can pop in and back out when not in use so they don't stick out all the time.

MA78920-2T.jpg

Or like this.

G0170980-600x450.jpg

Hatem,

or use an inflatable . . . 

we have two inflatable paddle boards.  store nicely rolled up until ready for use . . . surprisingly rigid when inflated

y4mlS-auaNsRohOaNav6o5OkdyjWPIgoa5cw3cDs

Very nice Futzin !!:wub:

Love the rigid pipes to prevent lines into the props If you do a back up in open water or docking

How does a piece of closed cell Blue Floating Dock billets sound ?    Cut slots so the boards stand on their sides vertically. You could cut it so there is enough room to use the stern deck while docked. Some WHITE closed cell foam soft gasket material on the bottom & vertical side to prevent rubbing the CHAP glass. A small ratchet  to snug the blue block in place.  Worst case is 2 S S eye bolts in to the transom for the ratchet hook ends.

14 hours ago, Futzin' said:

Hatem,

or use an inflatable . . . 

we have two inflatable paddle boards.  store nicely rolled up until ready for use . . . surprisingly rigid when inflated

y4mlS-auaNsRohOaNav6o5OkdyjWPIgoa5cw3cDs

Dang, I thought you were messing with my head again, bruh. :D. They look pretty tight for inflatables.  We already have the kayak but these would be great when it's time to get a paddle board.  Awesome. 

Although I must say, that does increase my innate and desperate fear of great white sharks and those would be much easier for them razor daggers to penetrate, lol.  You know, we have a bunch of them up here now.  Guy was boogie - boarding at a Cape Cod beach and GW bit him in half.  1st fatality in Massachusetts in 86 years.  A month prior to that, a doctor figured it would be fun to swim with a pack of seals right where there was a shark advisory, yaaaay.  Almost lost his hip, leg and arm.

I suppose you have a better chance in a kayak of either type but you're going in the water whether you're on a stiff or inflatable paddle board.

Towing a dingy is usually done by the slower Trawlers 8-10 knots .... if getting up on a plane - I wouldn't even consider towing a dingy.

install a davit system on your swimgrid or lash it to the bow if this is going to be a 1 time trip with a Tender/dingy ......

20 hours ago, cj-orca said:

Towing a dingy is usually done by the slower Trawlers 8-10 knots .... if getting up on a plane - I wouldn't even consider towing a dingy.

install a davit system on your swimgrid or lash it to the bow if this is going to be a 1 time trip with a Tender/dingy ......

Yep!

Ok. I will find a more secure way to hitch the inflatable rather than tow it. My main problem is still where to put the motor while the dinghy is sideways. If I hang the dinghy upright with the motor on it, the bouncing might be too much for the transom board to take.

Agree on overstressing a inflatable O  transom board.  Reread your O B 2 hp motor is it air cooled ?  Yes ?  What is the weight 10 to 15 pounds ?

I might chance leaving it on.  But Tank is the real weight ?   Then I would remove both .

My Lehr 2.5hp propane motor has no built-in fuel tank but uses removable propane bottles. It is less than 40lbs in weight. My problem is where to hang it if I have to remove it from the dinghy, plus the danger of dropping it on the water every time I have to re-install it. If I could leave it on the dinghy, I may have to run below planing speed and spend more fuel, by how much, no idea. But buying additional davit system will also entail cost (maybe around $900) and will clutter the swim step.

Can you tie it tight to the stern with the bow on the swim deck and the stern of the dingy in the water? 

13 minutes ago, Denny said:

Looks like a great davit system for houseboats.

Denny

That looks like a Mainship or similar boat.   

1 minute ago, Iggy said:

That looks like a Mainship or similar boat.   

Don't know what boat it is, but with a little imagination you can make something like that work.

It is a very simple set up.

Could even take place of the swim ladder.  Denny.