Sign in to follow this  
Lbcsta

Pensacola area hot spots

We live in Tlh area and go out to coastal areas, sandbars, and islands around here and all the way to Destin. This year we wanna go explore further west into Pensacola area waters.

Any one know of local known sandbars, islands, or hang out spots that we could check out? Also boat ramps. We have found a bunch there, any ramps better than the others that you may know of? We have a larger sunesta we trailer around and it can get extremely tight in unknown ramp lots. 

Thanks in advance for your help!

Are you near NAS Pensacola by any chance?  That would be pretty much #1 on my list, to find the best spot to catch the Blue Angels flying around at anchor.

We left there in 09, but I doubt too much has changed. We liked going over to Pensacola pass and running up on the beaches there in the ICW. There's an island in the ICW on the west side of the pass that is a popular spot. We also liked pulling up to Peg Leg Pete's in Pensacola Beach, but that gets crowded. We usually put in there in Navarre as that has one of the nicest launches we've been to and then cruised from there. But we also used the ramp at Shoreline Park in Gulf Breeze. Not sure if that would be tight for you though. Have fun, that's been one of our favorite places to boat. We loved how the barrier Island is fairly open from Pensacola to Ft Walton Beach and we would find an open section of beach pull up and let the kids play. It was like having our own private beach.

On 12/18/2018 at 5:59 AM, Lbcsta said:

We live in Tlh area and go out to coastal areas, sandbars, and islands around here and all the way to Destin. This year we wanna go explore further west into Pensacola area waters.

Any one know of local known sandbars, islands, or hang out spots that we could check out? Also boat ramps. We have found a bunch there, any ramps better than the others that you may know of? We have a larger sunesta we trailer around and it can get extremely tight in unknown ramp lots. 

Thanks in advance for your help!

We spent a week there with the boat this summer.  SO much fun!  The water was beautiful, and we rented a condo with a small marina attached which was absolutely perfect.  They had a private ramp, so that made things very convenient when we got there and when we left.  As Hatem and Chewey said below, the west side of the pass is a great spot.  There's a protected "bay" just south of the ICW that is separated by a large sand dune made from dredging remains.  We are going again next week and plan to boat over to Fort Pickens, anchor, and explore the fort.  There's the FloraBama if you're into the party scene.  Pirate's Cove is another hot spot further west toward the way to Mobile Bay.

On 12/18/2018 at 7:34 AM, Hatem said:

Are you near NAS Pensacola by any chance?  That would be pretty much #1 on my list, to find the best spot to catch the Blue Angels flying around at anchor.

This museum is amazing!  Could almost spend a day there.  The Blue Angels were a BLAST to see form the water (that little area west of the inlet I mentioned above), but the show is much better at the base from what I've heard.  But to watch it from the boat where the kids can swim and we can be in the water or out on the deck of the boat to watch was my idea of a good time.  Even the wives enjoyed it!

On 12/22/2018 at 9:36 PM, Chewey said:

We left there in 09, but I doubt too much has changed. We liked going over to Pensacola pass and running up on the beaches there in the ICW. There's an island in the ICW on the west side of the pass that is a popular spot. We also liked pulling up to Peg Leg Pete's in Pensacola Beach, but that gets crowded. We usually put in there in Navarre as that has one of the nicest launches we've been to and then cruised from there. But we also used the ramp at Shoreline Park in Gulf Breeze. Not sure if that would be tight for you though. Have fun, that's been one of our favorite places to boat. We loved how the barrier Island is fairly open from Pensacola to Ft Walton Beach and we would find an open section of beach pull up and let the kids play. It was like having our own private beach.

As I mentioned, agree totally with the water west of the pass.  We stay at Perdido Key when we go, so it's an easy ride.  Kids loved chasing dolphins too!

We rent pontoons every year in Destin. I know there is a boat ramp in Joes Bayou there. There are also ramps in Niceville in the state park on the Rocky Bayou and in Lyons Park on the Boggy Bayou. There is a nice ramp and courtesy dock in Navarre Beach at the beach side of the bridge right next to a cool bar and grill. There are a couple of smaller ramps along the sound in Gulf Breeze.

On ‎2‎/‎28‎/‎2019 at 1:40 PM, TexasPilot71 said:

i46Lc9a.jpg

PlNDxb7.jpg

PRYsKUo.jpg

dC7LWAY.jpg

Awesome.  Great pics with happy kids.  Too bad more members don't do this kinda thing.  I think you, mois and maybe 2 others are the only ones on this @#$%@#hole who actually post pics for people to see and enjoy. 

That beach with the sand is why I'm a bit reluctant to meet up with JeffK in Miami and go to Islamorada.  There are NO beaches with sand to beach the boat like that in almost all the Keys.  Maybe we should just stick to Miami or go somewhere where there are beaches.  We'll have to discuss this some more.