Sign in to follow this  
CoreyC

'07 270 Signature w/ 6.2

We're looking to make a first time cruiser purchase. Like the Chaparral layout on the '07 270 alot .Is there enough performance with the 6.2?  105 hours.

Also considering a Crownline 250CR (350 Mag).The Crownline is really clean, 400 hours, several extras, stereo, Sea-dek, lights.

The Chaparral is maybe a 6 or 7/10. Tough to decide which is best for us, roughly the same price, approx. $40k.

Any other factors or thoughts to consider?

thanks,

Corey - MI

On 12/25/2018 at 6:22 AM, CoreyC said:

We're looking to make a first time cruiser purchase. Like the Chaparral layout on the '07 270 alot .Is there enough performance with the 6.2?  105 hours.

Also considering a Crownline 250CR (350 Mag).The Crownline is really clean, 400 hours, several extras, stereo, Sea-dek, lights.

The Chaparral is maybe a 6 or 7/10. Tough to decide which is best for us, roughly the same price, approx. $40k.

thanks,

Corey - MI

We have the 350 Mag (5.7L) in a 2008 250 Sig (about the same boat) and it's powered just fine.  I think the 6.2 would be the perfect option.

105 hours on an '07 sounds low.... Was it a slip queen? 

As stated above, take it for a cruise and see how it does and remember the PO has probably emptied a lot of weight out of the boat so take that in to consideration. 

I was curious why low hours also. Not sure what to make of that.

I know a water trial is smart, but would really like to make a deal before things get crazy and everyone is buying when spring hits. 

Thanks for all info. 

On 12/25/2018 at 7:22 AM, CoreyC said:

thanks,

Corey - MI

Come owwn, maaaayne!  Of course we're going to tell you to buy the CHAPARRAL!  Crownline Shmowline! :)

15 hours ago, CoreyC said:

I was curious why low hours also. Not sure what to make of that.

I bought my 2010 276ssx in 2014 and it had exactly 43 hours on it.  Chick that bought it couldn't make the payments and the boat was repossessed by the bank.  It was practically a brand new boat.  Now I have close to 400 hrs on it and have been very happy with it.  Have done quite a few mods to it and more to come. 

The Signature 270 is a beautiful boat.  If it's in good condition -- which I'm assuming it most likely is -- you'll love it.  6.2 liter should be fine.  You're not gonna race with any gofasts but then again, I doubt you're buying a cruiser for that.  On top of the sea trial, get a survey done to be sure there aren't any issues that you could easily miss.

What color is it?

You bet, Chaparral is first choice, just not quite as nice of condition. color is Black/white. 

Survey for sure, no doubt. 

Appreciate the replies.

11 hours ago, CoreyC said:

You bet, Chaparral is first choice, just not quite as nice of condition. color is Black/white. 

Good ol' black & white.  I noticed you gave it a 6/7 out of 10 and the Crownline seems to be better kept.  Does it have a lot of damaged stuff like ruined vinyl and dings and scratches in the fiberglass?  Maybe the Crownline might be a better choice if it's been well-maintained compared to the Chap?  Would be great if you could post pics of both.

We have an '08 Sig 270 with the 8.1 liter engine. Top speed is about 48 MPH, which we rarely ever do.  Almost all the time we cruise at about 30 mph.  I push the throttle all the way perhaps once a year, so the 6.2 liter would probably work fine for my needs.  If you don't need to go fast or carry a big load, then I think it will work for you as well.

I too am looking at the sig 276/270 ('06-'09).  My question is about getting on plane though...I wouldn't buy one without the big block, just personal preference since my runabout is a big 27 footer and I like to carry a lot of people so I love the 8.1GXi in it.  That being said, how does the Chap do with the 375hp 8.1 as far as getting on plane with up to 6 people?  I haven't seen one with the 420hp GXi nor the 425hp Merc HO so I'm assuming you could only get the Gi or the Mag?  I'm just curious because the other model I was contemplating was the Regal 2660/2765, but the reports on that one are that it can be troublesome to plane even with dual 4.3's and it's a little lighter than the Chap.  The Regal became out of the question because you have to drop down to the single 375hp if you want a gennie.  This is why I'm curious about the Chap's ability to plane...can any owners report?

we had a 2007 270 - had the 496 -8L (375hp) engine - was great for hole shot under heavy loads .... (personally I think get the highest hp available - as a just in case)

our vessel fully fueled/full water/Tender & engine& all our stuff - I'd think it would have struggled a wee bit with the 6.2L engine

... but if it has trim tabs - you'd probably be ok ....

they will help with hole-shot & trimming when underway with un-even loads (persons on board / water to black water ratio etc)

Take her for a sea-trial & open her up - see how she feels

On 1/1/2019 at 1:35 PM, MontreAl said:

We have an '08 Sig 270 with the 8.1 liter engine. Top speed is about 48 MPH, which we rarely ever do.  Almost all the time we cruise at about 30 mph.  I push the throttle all the way perhaps once a year, so the 6.2 liter would probably work fine for my needs.  If you don't need to go fast or carry a big load, then I think it will work for you as well.

Hello from Florida.

One thing I have noticed is that a lot is said in this post about engine CID or horsepower, small block VS big block, etc. However not much is said about props used in any of these combos. Let me explain. I am trying to find out [Even Chaparral could'nt come up with a definitive answer] what set of props came from factory on a 2007/2009 Sig 270 with the 8.1 engine equipped with Volvo-Penta XDP outdrive [yes, the composite one]. I replaced my drive with the new DPS-B drive with the 1.78 drive ratio. Does anyone have an idea of which is the best prop set to use with this combo?

22 hours ago, Grumpy Grandpa said:

Hello from Florida.

One thing I have noticed is that a lot is said in this post about engine CID or horsepower, small block VS big block, etc. However not much is said about props used in any of these combos. Let me explain. I am trying to find out [Even Chaparral could'nt come up with a definitive answer] what set of props came from factory on a 2007/2009 Sig 270 with the 8.1 engine equipped with Volvo-Penta XDP outdrive [yes, the composite one]. I replaced my drive with the new DPS-B drive with the 1.78 drive ratio. Does anyone have an idea of which is the best prop set to use with this combo?

Are you trying to identify the original prop selection for the XDP, or the DPS-B (1.78)?

-----

If the question is which props for the DPS-B (1.78), FH6 (part numbers: 3885842 for the set, 3885854 for the front, 3885855 for the rear). This should produce about 30 MPH at about 3,000 RPM. If more hole shot/torque is preferred, FH5. Will probably bounce off the rev. limiter earlier and produce about 30 MPH at about 3,750 RPM. If a bit more top end is preferred, FH7. Will probably start sluggish and struggle to hold 30 MPH steady at about 2,750 RPM. Please be sure the drive is a -B (helical splines). FH series props are not usable on the -A drive (straight splines). 

If the question is which props were originally installed on the original XDP drive, a call to Cecil Marine will probably help. Need hull number, drive and engine serial numbers and original selling dealer. The information is on the buildsheet. Volvo Penta will have it also, just harder to get if you are the owner/consumer because the typical response is "please call the dealer". Another option or two, walk the marina and find the same combination or perhaps someone on this blog has the same combination and will respond. Part numbers are stamped/etched length wise into the barrel.

Reasons for lack of comments, debate, etc. about props for the DPS series of drives include choices are limited to 8, only Volvo Penta, the prop is nearly always specified correctly by the factory and the typical consumer of a Volvo Penta powered boat is leisure not go-fast. In comparison, Mercury has plentiful choices and there are abundant aftermarket options. Not right or wrong, just different.