Sign in to follow this  
dwboater

What motor do you have in your 267 or 277?

Next week I am ordering my new 2019 277 SSX and I am stoked about it!  I am pretty certain about the options I will select and think I will order it with a 6.2 380 hp Volvo.  I have considered ordering it with the 430 hp as well. I know its not necessary but I do like to over power as to under powering. What motor are you guys running in your 267 or 277?  How do you like it? Would your do it differently the next time?

I assume the performance is really good? The Chaparral rep tells me my boat was designed to run with the 5.3 350. 

Right now, I have a Caravelle 267 with the 5.7 300 hp and it runs well.

I’m a low hour clean used type. That out of the way, our previous Chaparral 264 Sunesta had the 320 HP 5.7L Volvo Penta with duo props. Ran great in all conditions and it never felt under powered. Given we go used though, you find what you find and generally don’t get exactly what you want when in the market. If I was a new and order type, I’d go with more horsepower for sure. The Volvo Penta 6.2L is a fantastic motor. With duo props it will perform wonderfully and rock your world.

18 hours ago, dwboater said:

I assume the performance is really good? The Chaparral rep tells me my boat was designed to run with the 5.3 350. 

Right now, I have a Caravelle 267 with the 5.7 300 hp and it runs well.

35 mph at 3,100 and 63 at 5,000  The WOT number was on a perfect day with good air, 1/4 tank of fuel and lite load.  The all aluminum 430 will perform better than my all iron 496 but your boat will be heavier also.   My 256SSX is a tad lighter than the 277, but what will put a damper on your performance is the increase in beam. W

By comparison, our 320 HP did about 30 at 3,000, and 50 at 5,000. Generally ran with more fuel onboard, and also had the heavier sink/entertainment center on the starboard side.

I have a 2008 276 SSX , today it would be a  287 SSX I believe and we have the 496 MAG in it and I have plenty of HP to pull a skier with 8 people in the boat.

6 hours ago, Wingnut said:

35 mph at 3,100 and 63 at 5,000  The WOT number was on a perfect day with good air, 1/4 tank of fuel and lite load.  The all aluminum 430 will perform better than my all iron 486 but your boat will be heavier also.   

Yes, 5500 dry.

My Caravelle 267 with the 5.7 300 hp performs much like you all are speaking of.  

Is anyone running the new gen 5.3 or 6.2 in similar boats? I am sure I will order the 6.2 380  but possibly the 6.2 430 hp  but I have not seen or heard of anyone else with a similar set up.  I believe they started this motor lineup in 2015.. approximately.

16 hours ago, dwboater said:

Next week I am ordering my new 2019 277 SSX and I am stoked about it!

Awesome.  Make sure you post a crapload of pics once you get it.  How long is the build lead time?

16 hours ago, dwboater said:

I have considered ordering it with the 430 hp as well. I know its not necessary but I do like to over power as to under powering. What motor are you guys running in your 267 or 277?  How do you like it? Would your do it differently the next time?

8.1VP 375HP in a 276ssx which is slightly longer LOA and it's perfectly fine.  A lot of power.  Only thing I would do differently is just the next step up and twins with joystick and thrusters as well. 

9 hours ago, ColdOne said:

I have a 2008 276 SSX , today it would be a  287 SSX I believe

Funny you should mention that.  Last time I contorted myself into the ski locker to pull out the holding tank, I looked around just for curiosity sake and I noticed this sticker on the bottom of the floor cap.

vlZSou9.jpg

The build time is approx 14 weeks if I get the order in within the first week of January (before boat shows start). If I do it in Feb-march, I am told I would not get it until mid summer.  If I order it any later I would miss the summer season. 

6 hours ago, Hatem said:

8.1VP 375HP in a 276ssx which is slightly longer LOA and it's perfectly fine.  A lot of power.  Only thing I would do differently is just the next step up and twins with joystick and thrusters as well.

I just looked at the specs on your boat. It looks to be 29’10” and 9’ beam. Mine will be 5500lbs dry. I assume yours is more like 6000 dry?  I am an avid boater and have had many boats. I have researched the daylights out of the boats on the market that interest me.  There are very few reviews on the 267 ssx or the 277 ssx.  So, I appreciate the help. It sounds like the 430 6.2 would be double overkill as the 380 is strong. The 277 I test drove had the 5.3 350hp Volvo and it was very responsive and powerful. We only had 3 people and a light load of fuel though. 

Our 264 Sunesta was about 5,600 pounds dry. The 5.7, 320 HP with duo props performed great. If we were to order what you are considering, it’d be the 6.2, 380 HP. The upgrade to 430 HP is via the ECM (software) and dealer performed. So, if at some point you decide a little more HP is important, it’s available. The 5.3 is too small.

I just looked at the specs on your boat. It looks to be 29’10” and 9’ beam.

Yep.  Whenever I'm getting a slip or something is being priced out based on the LOA, I just call it 30'.  So what is the exact LOA of the 277?  I forget even though that was the first boat we looked at 5 years ago and really liked it, but were a little apprehensive about buying new as complete, green newbies.

Mine will be 5500lbs dry. I assume yours is more like 6000 dry?

Yes.  It's close to 6800 now with all the shhhttuuufff I've added. :haha-7383:

I am an avid boater and have had many boats. I have researched the daylights out of the boats on the market that interest me.  There are very few reviews on the 267 ssx or the 277 ssx.  So, I appreciate the help. It sounds like the 430 6.2 would be double overkill as the 380 is strong. The 277 I test drove had the 5.3 350hp Volvo and it was very responsive and powerful. We only had 3 people and a light load of fuel though. 

Have you looked at the 307 with twin VPs?  Or even twin Mercs?  That's what Curt has and if you want even more power and much better control at the docks, I would look for one with low hours and there's a few out there.  You could probably get a very mint one for close to what you would pay for a newly-ordered 277.  If you're boating lakes it might be ok for a big boat like that with a single, but if you're in ocean, I wouldn't think of any 30-ft boat without twins.

That's the one thing I still struggle with at the dock and wish I had twins at least.  In any mild current even, or gust of wind, the bow is so easy to lose it's ridiculous.  That's why I'm putting in a bow thruster in about a month or two to help with that.  With twins, not only will you have double the HP, you'll have the ability to spin on the spot and easily control that bow.

Twins are NO  NO substitute for a powerful bow thruster.

I LOVE HIGH BOWS. Get caught in sudden storms  / squalls. Cuddy for a sick or pulled muscle person. Only spray gets into the bow area.

THe 1 condition the are the worst at is DOCKING !!!.  A line handler on the dock farts. & it is all astern full speed.

That is why I bought a second 186 SSI 5.0 L.  To replce the fist 1 I had to sell.

Bow thrusters should be a factory option on any Chap.

Hatem   You will try to hug the thruster the first times you use it in a gusty docking. The thruster is INSTANT FULL trust sideways.  NO one can shift  F & R in current & wind as fast aS A THRUSTER

a THRUSTER CAN SHOVE & PULL   in less than 1 second.  EASILY.  Been on a Garwood 30 footer runabout before & after the bow thruster was installed. He has EVERYONE seated before docking begins.  The shove of the bow is that quick & force full.

Happy days ahead for you.  :wub:

26 minutes ago, cyclops2 said:

Bow thrusters should be a factory option on any Chap.

Totally agree, Clopadopadus.  But Chaparral doesn't offer it, at least I don't think they do.  You used to see the Signature 330 of years past come with a BT on top of the twins, but since 2011 or 12, I think, with the advent of the now famous and amazing capabilities of joystick maneuvering, thrusters have been relegated to pretty much only a modification after the fact.  Although in some the other brands that offer much larger cruisers, they actually add bow and stern thrusters on top of the joystick.  Talk about having a multitude of maneuvering options.  Why would you need thrusters if you have joystick?

BTW, I think I figured out how to get to the bow area without cutting an access panel in the forward ski locker in the bow seating area.  I just have to remove the bulkhead in the helm storage compartment and then contort myself like a monkey and crawl forward under the starboard bow seats loool.  As long as I can spin and return and not get stuck, should work fine but won't have immediate access like I would with a panel in the locker.  I'll have to install a kill switch at a convenient location for shutdown emergency.  Will also need a good spot for the dedicated battery.  That, I might need to reach more often so I might just put it in the helm storage with a protective cover like plexiglass or acrylic. 

You have a tight dock space like me. I let my space go With the heart operations & problems. I now have the side by side space for the Chap & my small fish boat. I can dock the  Chap in any wind now.  I come in with 3 horizontal floating big fenders on each side.  Piece of cake now. goofy looking . But not a chance of a scratch.

38 minutes ago, cyclops2 said:

You have a tight dock space like me. I let my space go With the heart operations & problems. I now have the side by side space for the Chap & my small fish boat. I can dock the  Chap in any wind now.  I come in with 3 horizontal floating big fenders on each side.  Piece of cake now. goofy looking . But not a chance of a scratch.

I'm dying to see a pic of the famous Cyclops186, as I'm sure many others on here would too.  What did you name it? The Cyclops2? Cyclopadus?  The Clopadopadopadus would've been awesome! :D  

They are both my wife's retirement boat. I just pay the bills on it. Wife & boat are worth every dollar each year.

A Better next year to all of us Chap owners helping each other.

Rich

13 hours ago, Hatem said:

Yep.  Whenever I'm getting a slip or something is being priced out based on the LOA, I just call it 30'.  So what is the exact LOA of the 277?  I forget even though that was the first boat we looked at 5 years ago and really liked it, but were a little apprehensive about buying new as complete, green newbies.

Yes.  It's close to 6800 now with all the shhhttuuufff I've added. :haha-7383:

Have you looked at the 307 with twin VPs?  Or even twin Mercs?  That's what Curt has and if you want even more power and much better control at the docks, I would look for one with low hours and there's a few out there.  You could probably get a very mint one for close to what you would pay for a newly-ordered 277.  If you're boating lakes it might be ok for a big boat like that with a single, but if you're in ocean, I wouldn't think of any 30-ft boat without twins.

That's the one thing I still struggle with at the dock and wish I had twins at least.  In any mild current even, or gust of wind, the bow is so easy to lose it's ridiculous.  That's why I'm putting in a bow thruster in about a month or two to help with that.  With twins, not only will you have double the HP, you'll have the ability to spin on the spot and easily control that bow.

The 277 is 27’0”. It really as big as I can go. Last spring we just built a boat dock with two slips and cradles. The Slip lengths are 28’. My current Caravelle 267 is 26.5 feet and fits well. The 277 Will fit just about the same. Also, I need to stick with a 8 1/2’ Beam due to my cradles were custom built to fit my size boats. My other boat is a Century Arabian 200.  It’s pretty small and narrow but I built the slips the same dimensions so I could move the boats around. I’m actually not going to spec the new boat with the windlass anchor because of the close quarters in my slip. I don’t want it bumping the decking when the water is low...and its a 4K option!!!  #%^$&%$ inflation!

13 hours ago, dwboater said:

The 277 is 27’0”. It really as big as I can go. Last spring we just built a boat dock with two slips and cradles. The Slip lengths are 28’. My current Caravelle 267 is 26.5 feet and fits well. The 277 Will fit just about the same. Also, I need to stick with a 8 1/2’ Beam due to my cradles were custom built to fit my size boats.

Sounds like you have figured out exactly what works for you.

My other boat is a Century Arabian 200.  It’s pretty small and narrow but I built the slips the same dimensions so I could move the boats around.

Oh ma goodness, that's a beautiful boat!  Very awesome.

I’m actually not going to spec the new boat with the windlass anchor because of the close quarters in my slip. I don’t want it bumping the decking when the water is low...and its a 4K option!!!  #%^$&%$ inflation!

Funny you mention that.  I'm currently installing that same, exact under the bow windlass anchor on my 276.  By the time I will be done with the whole installation (without labor on my part), I'll be right around that number.  If I figure in labor, I'll be close to double that lol.  We have a thread going with pictures and all of that installation.  It's on-going.

It sounds like you're all set and know what you want.  I think you'll be fine with the 6.2 380.  If I had to chose between the 8.1 375 that I have now and the 6.2 380, I would actually chose the latter.

Remember about cubic inches and the torque it produces at IDLE .

I found out how grippy a prop can be. The PTC4 I switched to.  Almost STALLED the 5.0L engine when I shifted to FOWARD.  Then floored the throttle.  It is that big of a load. Forget WOT .    The engine SLOWED down to almost stalling. I called the factory with the problem about almost stalling out every time.  The technician recommended a replacement for just shipping charges. Bingo.

The first prop just lost idle rpm when floored in gear. 

On 12/30/2018 at 4:48 PM, Curt said:

Our 264 Sunesta was about 5,600 pounds dry. The 5.7, 320 HP with duo props performed great. If we were to order what you are considering, it’d be the 6.2, 380 HP. The upgrade to 430 HP is via the ECM (software) and dealer performed. So, if at some point you decide a little more HP is important, it’s available. The 5.3 is too small.

I agree that the 5.3 seems too small.  It did pack a punch and seemed powerful but I feel like the motor would always be working harder than the larger displacement of the 6.2.