Lemon Aid

Warranty - Cone Clutch

21 hours ago, Lemon Aid said:

I am starting the great debate as to the root cause for the cone clutches failing.  I am refusing at this point to pay the bill until we come to conclusion.

So either they need to blame me for somehow wearing the cone clutches, or find the technical reason, including improper assembly.  

Go get 'em, ma man!  Supposedly they're called 'BRAVO' for a reason, right?  Someone at Mercury had an epiphany one night and woke up in a cold sweat screaming "EUREKA!"  Then presented his idea at the board meeting the next day and one member said "that's genius, BRAVO!"  And hence the creation of that name, but it's not because of it's spinoff hubs, that's for sure! :haha-7383:  Good luck and keep us posted.

I get some banging every once in a while when shifting a lot.  But I learned how to minimize it by shifting slowly and timely.  It makes a big difference.  If I'm going into forward and reverse a lot at the dock, I always stop for a split second in neutral before going into the opposite gear and hardly ever get any banging that way.  But then again, mine is a cable throttle so I can control how fast I put it in gear.  When I'm using my buddy's DTC on his Searay with Mercs, I use it the same way but I also use the twins independently and I must admit, it's actually very smooth and hardly any clunk or banging.  And when I use the joystick, it's the same exact thing, super smooth. 

This discussion reminded me that it's time to check the bellows and U-joints on the DPS-A.  The last time I had it done a couple of years ago, things looked ok.  Hope it's the same results in the springtime.

L5IyI7p.jpg

LzrdYOg.jpgnpdQi1c.jpg

RvMeLNX.jpg

My boat doesn’t have a joystick.  Mercury is fighting me, referencing some verbiage found in back of warranty book that any parts worn are not covered.  So their warranty basically gives them an out to pick and choose in their opinion.  But to me, it’s bait and switch. 

The good thing is Marine Max hasn’t been paid yet...and I keep asking for a technical discussion on why these parts failed and why the failure is my fault   

I appreciate the technical advise from this site and posts...

If it is you because of maint or use I would want to know so I can change the behavior.  It is a play on words, but its much like other warranties.  Most warranties like your car will cover something that fails because of poor construction or installation but wont cover because of wear.  Sucks but the way its worded.

That's why IMO anything beyond the original manufactures warranty is absolute garbage.

Exactly.  If I have to split costs with them so be it...but I don’t want to hold the bag twice...which is why I need to know and have them explain the cause. And if it happens again they cover it. 

Funny. They cover my sensors when they “wear out”.  

Its redicilous how they play on words.  Lack of integrity and ethics  

1 hour ago, Lemon Aid said:

Exactly.  If I have to split costs with them so be it...but I don’t want to hold the bag twice...which is why I need to know and have them explain the cause. And if it happens again they cover it. 

Funny. They cover my sensors when they “wear out”.  

Its redicilous how they play on words.  Lack of integrity and ethics  

Comes down to bottom line and cheap parts vs pricey parts.  Only warranty worth a dump is autos 3 year b2b, anything else is like I said before,  and even those are getting iffy.  Extended warranties don't get me started, pre paying for maint that may not happen and be covered, not worth it.