Sign in to follow this  
Pogo Junior

Signature 330 Depth Gauge

Hi everyone,

My Sig 330 has a factory-installed depth gauge. I just want to know where exactly its sensor or transducer is located. Is it at the front end where it can warn me of any dangerous rocks in front of the boat? Or is it midway or near the stern? It will be a while before my boat will be hauled out so I have no way to find the sensor as of now.

My Raymarine fishfinder has depth gauge but it is mounted at the transom. So I cannot rely on it to warn me if I am approaching any rocks or obstructions.

Thanks for any info.

Mine is mounted in front of the starboard engine. 

57 minutes ago, mpm330 said:

Mine is mounted in front of the starboard engine. 

So it means it is midway from front to back. Do you know how far ahead it can detect the bottom?

You would be better off using a fishfinder. Some will give you a true pic of the bottom.

1 minute ago, Iggy said:

You would be better off using a fishfinder. Some will give you a true pic of the bottom.

I do have a fishfinder. It’s a Dragonfly 5. But since the transducer is transom-mounted, it cannot see what is ahead of the bow, which is what I actually want to see to avoid hitting rocks on shallow waters. My draft is only 3ft but there are shores in my area that are at least 10ft deep but with a sprinkiling of rocks or reefs that are 5ft or more high.

Do you think a thru-hull transducer will help?

6 hours ago, Pogo Junior said:

I do have a fishfinder. It’s a Dragonfly 5. But since the transducer is transom-mounted, it cannot see what is ahead of the bow, which is what I actually want to see to avoid hitting rocks on shallow waters. My draft is only 3ft but there are shores in my area that are at least 10ft deep but with a sprinkiling of rocks or reefs that are 5ft or more high.

So I think your best bet is to upgrade your entire GPS system.  You can find entire package deals with transducers and even radar. 

What you're looking for exactly is something called "Forward-Facing Sonar" and it is not cheap.  It came out a few years ago and prices still have not dropped significantly as I've kept an eye on it since I'm interested in it as well.  It's an additional transducer that mounts a bit more forward of the bottom if the hull than conventional transducers and hooks up to a GPS system that shows up on your MFD screen and gives you a warning approximately 300ft before reaching as deangerous object such as a rock coming your way, or too shallow water. 

I opened a thread on it a few years ago you can check out, some good info and video:

However, you can have other warning systems with a perfectly good GPS that gives you accurate sound depths.  You have areas of the water marked white which are above 20ft of depth and blue areas which are waters under 20ft of depth and many areas marked off with depth sounds (circled numbers that indicate the depth of that specific spot/area) and it works great.  You just look at the screen quickly and you can see where there is water that is 10ft and 5ft etc. and then slow down and go to your digital guage on the GPS which will tell you exactly what the depth is under you. 

The transducer is mounted in the forward of the bilge so roughly a little aft of center hull and gives you 360 degrees sonar views which help greatly.  That's where I would start if I was you.

8 hours ago, Pogo Junior said:

Well, how much money do you want to spend?? You need to ask your self. As far as replacing the whole system, thats really up to you. You may just want to add another display and keep the current one as a fishfinder or back up unit. It all depends on what you want and what the equipment can do for you. But the Dragonfly is more of a entry level unit.

The reefs and rocks should show up in your charts. At least I would hope so. If not, look at Garmin's charts. But you can set the depth alarm too, which may not be a big help in you case.

Moving the transducer more forward will not help you a whole lot. Even if it was at the bow, by the time you see it, than react, and our boats don't stop on a dime. You will hit it. 

Another thing, talk to the other boaters as where, not to go. Than you can set way points on your GPS as to where "not to go". 

Bottom conditions can make forward sonar useless. 

If you are planning along ?   CRUNCH or WUUMMP in mud.

Idling along in gear ?  RRRRRRRRR  RRRRRRR as you slide on boulders &  piles of clam shells.

A PAPER CHART  & STABILE BOTTOM are the only sure ways to not crunch a boat...……...Or better yet.   STAY OUT of IFFY areas.

I USE PAPER CHARTS with my 16' LOwe aluminum.  Lots of rocky waters all around me.

Most factury depth gauges are down facing, so they really don't help your when moving. Buy the time it says "0" your on the ground. Its really to assist in anchoring.

I agree.. If you are using a depth gauge to keep you off the bottom you will be too late...