Boatbug

Boat purchase showing protocol question

Hello all,

i am getting ready to sell my 2004 signature 330 and buy a new boat.

i have an appointment to go see this weekend.  I have to travel 5 hours. I asked the broker that after looking the boat over I wanted to do a cold start and listen to the engines fire up and run for a few minutes.  He said this is not protocol and he won’t accommodate this until an accepted offer and survey is completed.  I am asking all your opinions on this and should I push back and  say I am not making the trip unless I get to hear the engines fire up prior to going though the motions of a contract.  All thoughts are welcome?  I feel it is not to much to ask.

BYW my 330 signature is going to be for sale.  I don’t have it listed with a broker yet.  So if you know anyone interested let me know.

5.7 Volvo GXI with v-drives.  It is in great shape.  Generator,  11 gallon hot water tank.  Full enclosure and a separate cockpit cover.  All new canvas this year, and new bottom paint spring 2018.

thanks.

Personally I would not even think about making an offer on a boat until I had an opportunity to complete a sea trial.... 

Yes I feel the same way.  I didn’t think I was asking much to just hear the engines run at the dock for a short time.  I know the broker can’t captain the boat during a showing .  Liability and all that stuff.  I just don’t want to pony up the survey cash just to find out the engines have issues.  Just trying to eliminate any false starts.

38 minutes ago, Phillbo said:

Personally I would not even think about making an offer on a boat until I had an opportunity to complete a sea trial.... 

X2

X4.  Walk away from the broker and that boat.  The broker may not be crooked... but he's definitely not acting like your advocate here.

that is a tough one, especially this time of year.  Is it even in the  water? Is the boat currently winterized?    if so, I could see where they wouldn't want to unwinterize it unless you are a serious buyer and planning to move forward if all checks out.  Just bc you are able to hear them run, if you can't agree on a price, it would be irrelevant.  But, I completely agree with you, I wouldn't want to get nearly that far without being confident that all checks out on a basic level.

You are going to lay out expenses BEFORE you are sure ??  The salesman is looking out for the seller & his commission from him...…….. PASS on it.

You have no value in a transaction. With the seller or salesperson.

Thanks everyone.

i am going to let the broker know that the only way I will drive 5 hours to view this boat is if I can witness a cold start up and few minute run time at idle.  Defiantly not a complete story but it is very telling and informative.  And yes the boat is in the water in South Carolina.

thanks for all the input.

smooth sailing everyone and happy new year.

Hello,

I have a question are you willing to pay ( a predetermined price prior to driving 5 hours) to re-winterize the engine(s)?

Even if you choose not to make an offer.

Agree with the sentiment above.  No way would I spend money for a survey, without knowing the basics.

1 hour ago, NJ Chaparral Dealer said:

Hello,

I have a question are you willing to pay ( a predetermined price prior to driving 5 hours) to re-winterize the engine(s)?

Fair question.. OP did not mention if the engines have been winterized....Have they?

I'm from Arizona.. Winterizing is the last thing on my mind.

1 hour ago, NJ Chaparral Dealer said:

Hello,

I agree with Joe, Its winter.

How many times would you be willing to rewinterize you boat with or without an offer? Just so the buyer could listen to the engines. Not Happening.

My first was winterized, put deposit down. Then waited for April for a sea trial.

12 hours ago, Toddler said:

My first was winterized, put deposit down. Then waited for April for a sea trial.

Yep.  Drive the 5 hours and make a fun, family trip out of it.  Check out the boat and if you like it, put a [REFUNDABLE] deposit conditional upon test driving it, not just listening to the engines run.  They could sound good but once you put it in gear all @#$%@# breaks down and goes to heII.

This time of year in northern climates and going into the two coldest months of the year, you're not going to get running engines very much I can almost guarantee you that.

21 hours ago, Boatbug said:

i am getting ready to sell my 2004 signature 330 and buy a new boat.

What is this new boat you're looking at?  And is it in the showroom?  In the yard?  What state? 

On ‎1‎/‎3‎/‎2019 at 1:40 PM, Boatbug said:

And yes the boat is in the water in South Carolina.

I've been through the boat buying process three times now.  Two of them were sold by a broker (and I had a broker represent me as well on the most expensive one so far) and one was sold by a private party.  Seems like it's two completely different processes.  When sold by a private party, there were no rules.  The seller was happy to let me look it over and we even took it for a trial.  He treated it just like selling a used car.

However, on both transactions that were executed by brokers, it was a completely different story.  Look-see first, followed by a contract to buy with a refundable deposit full of contingencies (sea trial, survey, etc.).  I too thought it was a bit ridiculous that I couldn't even go on a sea trial without being in contract.  However, that's the way it was and the broker that represented me on the big boat is a friend of mine and very knowledgable (he's been in the business for decades) and he says that's just the way it is.

Don't even get me started on the whole property tax subject, wow can that turn into a headache as well.

Anyways, just relaying my experience.  Not saying I agree with the process but I don't think the broker is telling you anything that isn't SOP.

On 1/3/2019 at 1:40 PM, Boatbug said:

Thanks everyone.

i am going to let the broker know that the only way I will drive 5 hours to view this boat is if I can witness a cold start up and few minute run time at idle.  Defiantly not a complete story but it is very telling and informative.  And yes the boat is in the water in South Carolina.

thanks for all the input.

smooth sailing everyone and happy new year.

Well, the broker works for the seller, at least every time i have seen. So he is not going to look out for you. The bigger question is, is the boat winterized and on the hard?? That could be one reason that he is saying no. That would be more understandable. There is a cost involved!!  

If it was me, I would first look at the boat. Than put a deposit down with the condition, just to start the engines. Do this arrangement in advance. After that, a survey than should be done before a sea trial. But thats me!! I hate to say, that many times I have looked at boats and the Pic make them look great. I get there and run back home! 

41 minutes ago, Johnfrmcal said:

I've been through the boat buying process three times now.  Two of them were sold by a broker (and I had a broker represent me as well on the most expensive one so far) and one was sold by a private party.  Seems like it's two completely different processes.  When sold by a private party, there were no rules.  The seller was happy to let me look it over and we even took it for a trial.  He treated it just like selling a used car.

However, on both transactions that were executed by brokers, it was a completely different story.  Look-see first, followed by a contract to buy with a refundable deposit full of contingencies (sea trial, survey, etc.).  I too thought it was a bit ridiculous that I couldn't even go on a sea trial without being in contract.  However, that's the way it was and the broker that represented me on the big boat is a friend of mine and very knowledgable (he's been in the business for decades) and he says that's just the way it is.

Don't even get me started on the whole property tax subject, wow can that turn into a headache as well.

Anyways, just relaying my experience.  Not saying I agree with the process but I don't think the broker is telling you anything that isn't SOP.

Yep!

1 hour ago, Johnfrmcal said:

This was my experience too.

I seem to be lucky in some possibly ugly deals.

Luck always beats skill. Cyclops2 quote.   :haha-7383:

Hey all everything is good the broker talked to the owner and he was ok with running the engines.  The boat is in the water and not winterized.

thanks for all you inputs.