Stuart Adair

River Avon 6th Jan 2019

Are you getting a bit frustrated at the 6mph limit on the river yet?  Is there any other body of water you can get to where there isn't such a low, no-wake speed limit?

5 hours ago, Hatem said:

Are you getting a bit frustrated at the 6mph limit on the river yet?  Is there any other body of water you can get to where there isn't such a low, no-wake speed limit?

Hi Hatam. We're quite happy pottering around at slow speeds. Had the grandkids on today and we spent a brilliant couple of hours out seeing swans and geese.   :D  In April I'll buy a River Severn licence where I can get to the dizzying heights of 8mph :boating:.

Nearest body of water where I could open her up is the Bristol channel but that's a long days cruise away. 

I know I'm only using 10% of what the boat can do, but I like having 90% in reserve just in case. :P

16 hours ago, Stuart Adair said:

Hi Hatam. We're quite happy pottering around at slow speeds. Had the grandkids on today and we spent a brilliant couple of hours out seeing swans and geese.   :D  In April I'll buy a River Severn licence where I can get to the dizzying heights of 8mph :boating:.

Nearest body of water where I could open her up is the Bristol channel but that's a long days cruise away. 

I know I'm only using 10% of what the boat can do, but I like having 90% in reserve just in case. :P

Hahaha, awesome.  I've always wanted to do the channel, especially after watching Dunkirk.  I've always been interested in it simply because of the history of WWII, but after that movie came out and got a better understanding of how much  went on in that body of water, I'm even more interested in checking it out.  That would be a great cruise.

The distance is not that great, really, especially the tightest spot where the tunnel is.  A lot of history in that channel and must be great on a nice, warm, sunny day.

See the source image

See the source image

The channel islands are also spectacular!

channel-islands.jpg

LoL. That's the English Channel you're talking about. I think that's one of the busiest shipping lanes in the world and I'm not sure I'd be safe there.

The Bristol Channel is over on the left (Red circle). The River Severn / Bristol Channel lock is at Sharpness. It typically has a 25ft tide which affects the River Severn up as far as Tewkesbury so its definitely a place where you've got to know what you're doing. :D

Keep it coming Stuart!  Fascinating to hear about your exploring.    A few years back my cousin swam the English channel.  At the time set the record for the oldest/fastest.  Don't know if that is still standing.

21 hours ago, Stuart Adair said:

LoL. That's the English Channel you're talking about. I think that's one of the busiest shipping lanes in the world and I'm not sure I'd be safe there.

Ah, yes.  Bristol Channel does look a bit more contained, so to speak. 

21 hours ago, Stuart Adair said:

The Bristol Channel is over on the left (Red circle). The River Severn / Bristol Channel lock is at Sharpness. It typically has a 25ft tide which affects the River Severn up as far as Tewkesbury so its definitely a place where you've got to know what you're doing. :D

Do either of those NASA gauges give you charts and depth readings?

17 hours ago, bcboater said:

A few years back my cousin swam the English channel.  At the time set the record for the oldest/fastest.  Don't know if that is still standing.

That's quite the feat, to be able to say "I've swam the English Channel" and have it be some type of record as well.  Very cool.  I've swam some long distances, in my younger days lol.  Before I developed my innate fear of sharks! :lol:

I lightly stepped on the nice round tail of a ray in the N J surf.  Took weeks for me to go back in and body surf again. A great looking girl caused me to realize she was worth standing on  a possible ray tail.

I tried Scuba... No thanks. I'd rather be 13K in the air without a plane than 30' under the water. 

Hi Hatam. Yes, the upper NASA gauge is a depth readout and the lower one is speed. The standard boat speedo starts moving at 10mph and 8mph is the max in my cruising range. Unfortunately the speedo reads zero all the time as I suspect the wheel underneath has seized so when it comes out of the water for a polish next winter I'll pop a new one on.