Sign in to follow this  
Sea Suite

Dead Batteries

Am a new owner of  2004 Sig 290. My shore power came/was unplugged. No power onboard as all batteries had drained. I was told to reconnect the shore power and the battery chargers would kick in. After 3 days- no power. I couldn’t locate a breaker that had tripped. Am I missing something or do I need to get a mechanic involved. Thank you. 

Does the charger light up when shorepower is connected and is the indicator green? If so, whether it it’s able to recover all batteries at once when completely discharged depends on the type. Most are trickle type and starting from zero usually isn’t possible. Suggest using a portable non-trickle type, and charging one at a time. Depending on how long they were completely discharged and the temperature, they might also be permanently failed.

The battery charger on the Sigs is a 30 or 20 amp charger. First check to see if you have AC at the main panel in the cabin. On my boat there are switches at the shore power connection, there is a switch that turns the power on at the main panel and a gauge that shows the voltage. There is also a breaker for the charger on the main panel. Like said you need to see if you are getting power to the charger.  I had my charger fail last year, not uncommon. Not sure how the engine hatch lifts, but if it uses a lift it can be powered by connecting a charger to the external battery connection.

If all good at charger, batteries are kaput.

I turned off cabin panel switch to Pronautic 1230P Charger for 10 seconds, started back up and 5 mins later did a self test. Only light continuously illuminated is blue AC power light. No fault lights come on. 

Cabin A/C, refrigerator and bilge pump all working, no horn, no lights. Galvanic Isolator Monitor normal  “Shore Power”  light not on. Any further thoughts? Thinking time to call in a mechanic. 

See if bilge pumps are running ?  Radio or other lights on, depth finder.

Did you not connect shore power plug ? Or a wise arse pulled it out ? Is your main battery switch in the...BOTH...position?  Should be in #1 or #2 or off if you leave. That way only 1 bad battery dies alone.

15 hours ago, Sea Suite said:

I turned off cabin panel switch to Pronautic 1230P Charger for 10 seconds, started back up and 5 mins later did a self test. Only light continuously illuminated is blue AC power light. No fault lights come on. 

Cabin A/C, refrigerator and bilge pump all working, no horn, no lights. Galvanic Isolator Monitor normal  “Shore Power”  light not on. Any further thoughts? Thinking time to call in a mechanic. 

That model charge should be displaying volts and amps. What is the read out of those displays? If the batteries were dead, the amps display should be reading 30 amps and as time passes it will slowly come down. On the volts, depending on would you setup the charger to the type battery (flooded, gel or AGM) it should be about 13.5 volts. It should only take 24 to 36 hours to fully charge them.

There should also be some green LEDs that indicate that it is charging and the type of batteries it is setup for.  You can go to ProMariner's web site and down load the manual if you don't have one. If all you have is the blue AC LED your charger is probably bad. In the manual it explains how to run the self test to check charger.

6 hours ago, mpm330 said:

There should also be some green LEDs that indicate that it is charging and the type of batteries it is setup for.  You can go to ProMariner's web site and down load the manual if you don't have one. If all you have is the blue AC LED your charger is probably bad. In the manual it explains how to run the self test to check charger.

I have 2 of these chargers on board. One day I thought the same thing, the one for the starting batteries just had the blue power LED on. Nothing else on it was lite. To find out, it was in a sleep mode. 

20 hours ago, Sea Suite said:

I couldn’t locate a breaker that had tripped. Am I missing something or do I need to get a mechanic involved.

On that model year, your breakers should be on the battery switch panel itself, unlike many other models where the breakers are under the helm.  As soon as you walk in through the transom gate, your battery switch panel is right to the left before the cooler locker.  Should be relatively easy to locate the tripped breaker if you haven't already.

Here's the owner's manual PDF.

http://forum.chaparralboats.com/publications/PartsGuides/Signature/2004/290.pdf

7 hours ago, Iggy said:

I have 2 of these chargers on board. One day I thought the same thing, the one for the starting batteries just had the blue power LED on. Nothing else on it was lite. To find out, it was in a sleep mode. 

How is the unit awakened? The 1230P can charge dead batteries, provided they are recoverable. Looks like a real nice unit with Amp and Volt readouts. Wish mine had those.

22 minutes ago, Curt said:

How is the unit awakened? The 1230P can charge dead batteries, provided they are recoverable. Looks like a real nice unit with Amp and Volt readouts. Wish mine had those.

Once you put a load on the batteries it will, as you put it "awaken". It makes seance, the charger tops off the battery/s to a complete charge and than shuts down. Which now the charger can be rated "green".  

As I mentioned, I have two a 30 & 40 amp charger. The house bank was on and up and running showing a 2 or 3 amp charge. The other was asleep, the starting bank and I thought it was dead.  Let me add, I had my boat in its slip on shore power for the past week. House side looked good, because I must have turned the radio or something on pulling power off the house bank.

Thank you. I wonder if I tossed out a perfectly good charger last year. 

Not the worst thing we can do.

When nothing works ?  Find the instruction booklet.  Every few years I chuck old trashed equipment books.