Sign in to follow this  
Captain Ed

Silent choice exhaust systems

Looking at next years mad money budget. My 2012 264 Sunesta came with every option, except the arch and through hull exhaust. I have a 8.2 big block merc. I'm thinking of having a through hull exhaust system with silent choice option installed next winter. I'm looking for advice and knowledge of these systems. Like do they enhance performance in a significant way?

1626873992_20180612_071233(2).jpg.051c50afdbc0a3a4cafe919b41ff552e.jpg

Absolutely not and their use actually softens torque in the mid range any hp gain at WOT is negated by the extra weight. Engines less than 500 cubic inches twisting at something less than 5,000 rpm are just not exhaust flow limited with the stock system.  It's all about the noise.   Now if your talking about a supercharged 525 then it's a good thing.  W

Should go a little faster with the less weight in your wallet. Ha just kidding. I like mine but I certainly wouldn't add to a boat if it didn't have it.

No performance gain or improvement, unless you've added true headers and maybe some other goodies.  With that said Corsa really is the only brand to do.  I added to a crownline once and got a deal on it because it was an order for another customer that they never picked up think I had 900 into.  Think you would have probably 1500-2000 into it before labor.

I did add it myself on the crownline and did a transom set up,  tricky because you have to hole saw through about 2in of wood and have to make sure the two holes are lined up so they don't look off.  kind of nerve wracking but wasn't to bad.  If I were to do it again I would do side mount, doesn't matter if the holes aren't perfectly in line as you can never see both sides of the boat at the same time, and also is somewhat forgiving in install as exhaust hose is used to shoot it out to the sides and can bend, where the transom set up uses like a thick 6in hose.  Only real consideration of side mount is to ensure your cut outs are above the natural water line when the boat sits in the water.

With that all said Ive had it twice on a crown and a Fountain.  Non performance boat I really wouldn't waste the time and effort for it.

I have helped others get exact Height holes. Use a piece of scrap plywood as a sliding  pilot hole locator.  Drill the 1\4" hole in the plywood.

The slide it to the hole locations. drill the  2... 1/4" holes in the transom.

REMOVE !!!!! the drill bitt in the hole saw !!!!! Put in a piece of 1/4" steel rod into the hole saw !!! It …..WILL STOP    the hole saw from jumping around if you are forced to drill off balance.

Repeat the procedure for any holes done in any hard or grabby material.

When I went looking for my latest runabout I just had to have a big block and thru-hull exhaust.  Now I've got it and I never use it.  Unless you really love the big, noisy roar, I wouldn't put it in, because that's all it's good for.  I came to realize that I bought a large runabout that holds a lot of people so we could do exactly that, hold a lot of people and cruise around and party.  Everyone is trying to talk and socialize, and the thru-hull exhaust is terrible for that.  And what's worse, when you close the exhaust, it's louder than stock because a tiny bit of exhaust still finds its way out the thru-hull, at least on mine anyways.  If I had it to do over again I would go without...

I'm in the minority in that I LOVE my thru-hull exhaust and it's open mostly all of the time.  I love the sweet sound of a Big Block!  Does it add performance:  No.  Would I spend the money to add it:  ehh, maybe depending on the cost.  As far as performance goes, unfortunately, our boats ride very "wet" and are not designed for speed.  So it takes a heck of a lot of horsepower to make it go fast.

2-3 mph gain and depends on how they are routed. Yes like any other exhaust they will reduce low end TQ and midrange but nothing substantial. Lots of tests and gps recording of guys doing this on Offshore only. com

I haven't been on a that model boat in a while but from what I remember. Is the lack of room to get in and around the engine. So if your planning on this upgrade it will be time consuming. Whether you do it or have it done. 

OP did not say and I can't be certain but his boat appears to have B3's .. if so, that will be a limiting factor in gaining much more speed. 

B3's should be good for 60-65, after that they props crowd each other and limit the amount of water they can throw. 

I believe Wingnut hits low 60s with his 496 HO/B3.  Best I ever saw was 57 with my 496/B3.  That was going with the current on a cool Spring day

25 minutes ago, MonkeySeaII said:

I believe Wingnut hits low 60s with his 496 HO/B3.  Best I ever saw was 57 with my 496/B3.  That was going with the current on a cool Spring day

When my boat is going that fast, my B3 props are not turning at all !!   Har . . . 

On 1/6/2019 at 2:18 PM, Captain Ed said:

Looking at next years mad money budget. My 2012 264 Sunesta came with every option, except the arch and through hull exhaust. I have a 8.2 big block merc. I'm thinking of having a through hull exhaust system with silent choice option installed next winter. I'm looking for advice and knowledge of these systems. Like do they enhance performance in a significant way?

I am really big into performance. Yes I think the exhaust would help, but there are other things like labbed props, tune, K&N filter etc that will allow you to increase performance. K&N works, I have tested that situation on my Baja and it makes a 3-4 mph dif, Labbed props also gained another 4-6mph

1 hour ago, BajaDriver said:

I am really big into performance. Yes I think the exhaust would help, but there are other things like labbed props, tune, K&N filter etc that will allow you to increase performance. K&N works, I have tested that situation on my Baja and it makes a 3-4 mph dif, Labbed props also gained another 4-6mph

I had my B3 props labbed by BBlades.  It made an improvement in the mid range acceleration and cruise speed,  but not top end.  I also have a K&N filter--did nothing.  Unfortunately, these boats aren't like your Baja.  They ride deep in the water, they don't ride on a pad or anything like a performance boat does.  I'm really into performance boats too and have researched everything.  You need upwards of 700+ horsepower and Bravo 1 to get significant speed out of these boats.  A former owner of a 256SSi added a supercharger & a B1 to his boat.  He was running over 700 hp and his top end was 70.  I wish Baja would bring back the Islander line.  To me that would be the best of both worlds.  Speed and space

38 minutes ago, MonkeySeaII said:

I had my B3 props labbed by BBlades.  It made an improvement in the mid range acceleration and cruise speed,  but not top end.  I also have a K&N filter--did nothing.  Unfortunately, these boats aren't like your Baja.  They ride deep in the water, they don't ride on a pad or anything like a performance boat does.  I'm really into performance boats too and have researched everything.  You need upwards of 700+ horsepower and Bravo 1 to get significant speed out of these boats.  A former owner of a 256SSi added a supercharger & a B1 to his boat.  He was running over 700 hp and his top end was 70.  I wish Baja would bring back the Islander line.  To me that would be the best of both worlds.  Speed and space

+1.  Looking at 15 hp equating to a single mph gain on these hulls and a Bravo III is still punching too big a hole in the water.  Always been a hydrodynamic pig. W

GRANDSPORTCENTER Has a 2001 252 Islander with a 500efi for sale right now. Now that's a sleeper.

It has to get completely out of the water to go fast with a heavy engine. 

My first 2002 186 had a VERY WIDE hull. With the small GM  V8 I could trim it out to perfection at WOT.  It actuall felt like it was on top of a bowling ball & wobbled left , forward, right, stern. endlessly until I chickened out with fear of any turning of the wheel.  I was a 3400 pound PWC at 50 mph on GPS.

I am safer now 45 mph. But it is solid with a gripping prop.

Thanks for all the feedback. It's been educational. I love this forum. I think I will take the majority advice and pass on the exhaust bypass. I'll find some other way to throw money at the boat, I'm sure. 

Thank you to everyone.

On 1/11/2019 at 8:40 AM, Captain Ed said:

Thanks for all the feedback. It's been educational. I love this forum. I think I will take the majority advice and pass on the exhaust bypass. I'll find some other way to throw money at the boat, I'm sure. 

Thank you to everyone.

I’d say you are making a good decision, even though I have CChoice it’s only because it was already on the boat.  Don’t get me wrong, I like it, but I also like a whisper quite boat sometimes, and once you have CChoice, it’s never whispering.  

Dont worry too much, your boat will find many places for which to spend your money.