JMF

Water Leak walk through window 2013 sig 270

I have a 2013 signature 270 and am consistently facing water coming in somewhere at the front window.  It comes in the window and runs down the port side and under the lounge chair. I had the lounge chair off all last summer trying to find where the water is coming in and having a challenge trying to fix it. Does anyone else have this problem and how did you fix it?

4A7B7B2B-AB4E-4D40-B3CD-CB7421FB6B5C.jpeg

I'll assume the answer is yes but have you had someone put a hose on it from the outside while you watch the inside? It's not that big of a port, it should be obvious unless the seal has failed and it's running under the wall lining. 

Does it leak while under way or when raining? 

Try removing and resetting the the port. 

Yes, I have had someone run water with a hose and having a hard time finding where it is coming in.  I have run new seals along the port window, I have tried caulking the inside and outside if the fixed port window and no luck.  I have also tried putting weather seal on the actual fibreglass at the port window..

when it rains the lounge seat is flooded and interior carpets get all wet.  When the water runs down the channel it looks like the water escape is not positioned correctly and the water just runs down rapt the top of the lounge seat.  When I took it out of the water and trailered it to storage it was raining and the hatch was wet.

I am new to boating last summer and it was very frustrating and hoping I can find a solution before the boat goes in the water in April. 

The majority of windshield leaks are from water getting between the glass and rubber seal or under the rubber seal into the channel and out the T or J bolts

Thanks!  If that is the problem what needs to be done to try to fix it?  Do you know how I could confirm that is where it is coming from?

17 hours ago, JMF said:

Yes, I have had someone run water with a hose and having a hard time finding where it is coming in.  I have run new seals along the port window, I have tried caulking the inside and outside if the fixed port window and no luck.  I have also tried putting weather seal on the actual fibreglass at the port window..

when it rains the lounge seat is flooded and interior carpets get all wet.  When the water runs down the channel it looks like the water escape is not positioned correctly and the water just runs down rapt the top of the lounge seat.  When I took it out of the water and trailered it to storage it was raining and the hatch was wet.

So you have two areas that are showing water, right?  The lounge chair which is basically the portside passenger seat and the hatch at the stern?

You shouldn't need or use any caulking anywhere.  For one, it looks like @#$%@# and two, it's not supposed to be used since the bottom style of the window frame sits on a rubber strip all the way around.  That strip of rubber acts as a gasket, so to speak, for that bottom window frame as it's screwed into the fiberglass.

Check that rubber strip all the way around, especially outside and see if it's cracked or ripped our gouged out.  But don't caulk anything. 

Your title says "walk through window", does that mean you can actually see it leaking at the bottom of the hinged window frame itself?

The water is at the hinged window and to the port side of that window.  It runs along the bottom of the window along the inside (cockpit) to the top of the lounge seat on the port side. Instead of continuing to run along the window and drain outside the boat at the drain hole by the window closer to the radar arch, it runs down the side and under the lounge chair and as it fills up it then runs down onto the carpet and out the door at the stern. I have replaced the gaskets at the sides of the hinged window, I will try to purchase the gasket at the bottom of the hinged window and replace it to see if that helps but I don’t think that will solve the problem. 

On 1/9/2019 at 8:09 PM, JMF said:

Thanks!  If that is the problem what needs to be done to try to fix it?  Do you know how I could confirm that is where it is coming from?

Clean and dry everything, then take some (good automotive grade) 3/4 or 1& 1/2 inch masking tape and run it along where the frame meets the boat, then run it where the frame meets the rubber seal and where the rubber seal meets the glass, do not over lap any of the taped areas. Once you are sure that all areas are sealed, start running your water ( do not use a nozzle) let it run slowly. Starting at the lowest point, run it along that seam, once you are sure that no water is coming in, go to the next highest level, and so on. Now if you have not seen any water, the next step is to pull the tape off on the lowest level and run the water on that seam. No water, go to the next highest seam, remove the tape, and so on. By doing it this way, you will pin point exactly, where it is coming in at. 

2 things, always start at the lowest point of every seam, and only use a very small stream of water, and (go slow). That way the person inside of the boat will be able to pin point exactly where the leak is. 

This is how we found leaks when I was in the automotive trade.  Denny

I have a Sig 280 and have the same problem.  I don't think your window is leaking. If you look at the bottom of your side windows where they meet your clear coat there is a track for the water to follow.  However, there is a break in the track about 1/2 way and then also by your sink area (bet your sink area is always wet) on the one side of the boat and on the other side of the boat directly across from your sink area.  To me it's simply a design flaw.  I thought about using some type of clear caulking to fix the issue but haven't done it yet.  I could be wrong but this is what I see on mine.

I do get water by the sink area as well but not as much.  If it were just a little bit of water I wouldn’t be concerned but i have to keep my lounge chair off otherwise it is ruining the cushion. I think there is a bit of a design flaw with the channel but there is a lot more water than there should be. 

I appreciate all the feedback I have received thus far. I will definitely investigate...counting down the months to boating season. 

13 hours ago, JMF said:

I do get water by the sink area as well but not as much.  If it were just a little bit of water I wouldn’t be concerned but i have to keep my lounge chair off otherwise it is ruining the cushion. I think there is a bit of a design flaw with the channel but there is a lot more water than there should be. 

I appreciate all the feedback I have received thus far. I will definitely investigate...counting down the months to boating season. 

It would be nice if you could post a picture and show that detail area.  Here's a couple of a 2013 330 Signature that I took a few years ago and this is as close to the area that you're talking about.  Is your frame the same as this style?  If you notice in the first pic, the rubber under the frame and between it and the gelcoat surface right at the bend is missing a little piece.  This could certainly be a problem area since that rubber acts as a gasket.  You can just see part of that missing piece of rubber strip bottom left of pic.

QWwSY6d.jpg

ikISdFe.jpg

I looked for photos, thought I had some of the water but can’t seem to find them. I found a couple but not sure they can help.  Will post soon. The water comes from the corner and runs  down the inside. It forms large puddles in the corner by the hinge of the window and runs down. 

You have a beautiful boat. 

09F140F9-881C-4EA6-82C2-932102940DEF.jpeg

15 hours ago, JMF said:

You have a beautiful boat. 

Thanks, but that's not mine.  It was at our marina for a couple of years and the owner sold it back in 2015 and haven't seen it since.  I just happen to take a few pics of it before it was hauled out and looked through them to see if I had any close-ups of the windshield since I assumed it was similar to yours being a Signature and close to the same year.

15 hours ago, JMF said:

I looked for photos, thought I had some of the water but can’t seem to find them. I found a couple but not sure they can help.  Will post soon. The water comes from the corner and runs  down the inside. It forms large puddles in the corner by the hinge of the window and runs down. 

Yeah, tough to see where any water would come in aside from the fact that the solid bow top retains water while there's nothing much to prevent it from flowing back past the window beside the window itself.  It sounds like the joint at the bottom fiberglass between the hinged window and the fixed window ends up having a space in that rubber seal when it's closed and water inevitably gets through that opening and rolls in and to the corner.

Maybe you can get a small piece of rubber (similar to the gasket and rubber material used on the window) and glue it to the fiberglass right at that joint to close that gap so that when you close the window, the edge compresses against that piece and blocks closes that space?  I think that would be the best way to take care of it.

Kinda like those little rubber wedges that come with fully insulated doors that you have to put at the bottom corners to complete the weather stripping and block any drafting from coming in.  These things here, you can get at a hardware store and they have a peal off sticky side to them.  Face the wedge towards the bow so when the window slides snug into it, it seals that little opening and stops water from coming in.  Simple and probably will work or at least help you determine if you need to make something else that would work better.  Sorry for the large pic.

See the source image