JPW

Can a TACO pull my 244 Sunesta?

I presently use an Armada to tow, but the old gal is getting long in the tooth, and its time to get something new.    I know a Toyota Tundra for sure can haul my Senesta, but I'll be honest I like the smaller Tacoma (aka Taco) a bit better for my daily driver.

My2008  244 Sunesta xtream book tells me dryweight is 4400lbs.  I figure the trailer is another 1,000 - then another 1000 for fuel/gear.  That's 6400

Book on a new Tacoma (with tow package)  is 6400lbs 640 tongue weight and it comes with a ATF cooler.   Thus I'm right at the limit using gorilla math.

I don't haul the boat a lot and not long distances.  What you guys think - am I cutting it too close with a TACO?

I'm going to say it will be fine just a little over loaded. My Yukon is maxed out but it pulls the boat like a champ. Stops it just fine also. It gets squirrelly side to side so sudden moves that way will be noticeable.

Yes it will tow it. The real question is are you willing to put family at risk with an overloaded vehicle? 

What type of brakes are on the trailer and define 'not a lot and not long distances'... All it takes is one azzhat to cut you off and the boat starts driving the Taco. 

There is more to it than just HP and Tongue Weight. Think Brake size and Tranny wear.  

No it won't - will go down the leaf stops, and then after you get going, try to stop! :) Taca's doesn't like to stop, even with no load! :)

I tow my 19 footer H2O with my Taco. My 19 footer is roughly 2550 dry, lets say trailer 800, lets say battery, gas, gear, cooler, etc. another 500. Thats 4000 or so. I dont think I'd want to pull that much more weight. Maybe another thousand. Not another 2 thousand. I dont think the HP is the problem, especially on flat ground, I think its the brakes. Even though my trailer surge brakes work great. If you've ever driven a Taco, although if you look at the braking stats, the stats arent horrible, but they dont feel like they have the strongest brakes. They still have drum rear brakes, which by the way, seem to last almost forever. Thats a lot of weight. In my humble opinion.

I wouln't try it. That's alot of boat. I tend to be overly cautious sometimes, but I don't think so in this case.

Seems like braking on the Taco is not ideal without a trailer.  

Tow vehicle brakes come down to …….percentage of weight on the front compared to the percentage on the rear.

If you have the same size tires front &rear ?  great.      What happens when you add at least 640 pounds BEHIND the rear bumper ?   Does it bring you closer to  50 / 50  balance ?

Are the drakes now equally powerful at 50 / 50 percent front & rear ?  Right sized tires at 50 / 50 ?

Are the trailer brakes & tires loads ALSO at 50 / 50 ?   Or does the removal of 640 pounds of trailer hitch weight ruin the 50 / 50 weight on each trailer tire & brake ?

Going lighter on trailer tongue weight ALWAYS causes more trailer swerving.  Compared to going HEAVIER on tongue weight.

Trailer tread patterns are VERY critical. Just like in a car loaded & running at maximum loads & speeds.

I have had a trailer heavy enough that slamming on the brakes caused almost NO   NO slowing down on a medium down grade.   MOMMA  MOMMA !!!

Dumb   luck saved our family.  I had no idea back then about anything to do with trailering / driving overloaded car & trailer.

Only you & I can save lives .

Your tow vehicle Should / must have a compensating braking system.    That is still perfect at 6400 pounds.

Weigh your boat and trailer. My 220 SSi weighs 6000 lbs, loaded for the lake. 

I think you will be stretching it with the toy taco...

brick

I think you'll be stretching it with the Tacoma, but would have no problems at all if you go up to a Tundra instead.  Many many years ago, I towed a relative's 27' Sea Ray (which we later found was over 9000 lbs boat and trailer) with my first gen Tundra (significantly smaller/lower towing rating than the current gen).  The distances were usually only a couple miles ,and no more than 10, but each trip was a bit of a white-knuckle experience, and nothing I'd care to repeat.  The truck had plenty of pulling power, but you could definitely tell that the boat would be in charge in a fast stop.

I wouldn’t advise it. My f150 had issues going down the interstate with my boat. Plenty of power to pull it, I upgraded the brakes and it stopped ok, but wth family and gear I found I was overloaded. 

Check the payload capacity on the sticker on the door jam. Subtract out you, passengers and other stuff you have in the truck. Now what is left is what you can put on the tongue weight. I think you’ll find you’re overloaded.

Now imagine if you will you are towing your boat and get into an accident. Won’t take a good lawyer to figure out you were over the gvwr. Your  insurance likely will not cover you either (I checked on mine, they said they don’t have to cover it). 

I see folks towing with SUVs, 150s, and 1500s all the time on the road that are obviously overloaded. Better to go bigger than you need. I ended up with a 250. Had to make a fast stop on the interstate towing back from Florida this summer. Had I been in my 150, I doubt I would have stopped and kept the boat in control (80 to 0 fast). With the 250 it wasn’t that bad, but definitely noticed. 

No way I’d town that boat in a taco  

All of the towing posts are reasons I keep the boats IN the water all season.   I dread the pull outs.  Only a 5 mile run at 45 mph.

But a sudden stop by a car cutting in front is not good. I wave lots of cars & trucks past me.

Try to save or whatever to get the boat in the water all season.  Yes it is more crud below the water line.  I can justify the crud.

When I was 20 to 50 ? I towed a lot. Lucky I never met a accident.

I guess it's just another typical tow vehicle thread where the OP does not like the advise and never returns because no one agrees with them :)

You need more truck than you think you do in order to tow safely. 

11 minutes ago, Phillbo said:

I guess it's just another typical tow vehicle thread where the OP does not like the advise and never returns because no one agrees with them :)

:D:beer-7687-1: +1

3 hours ago, Phillbo said:

+2

Thanks for the help guys.   I've decided to keep the Armada for another year.  Then will figure out more later.

Agreed that a taco is not enough of a truck for safety.  I need a bigger truck or a smaller boat.  Now that the kids are off to school, a smaller boat may be better.

3 hours ago, JPW said:

Thanks for the help guys.   I've decided to keep the Armada for another year.  Then will figure out more later.

Agreed that a taco is not enough of a truck for safety.  I need a bigger truck or a smaller boat.  Now that the kids are off to school, a smaller boat may be better.

I know everyone's situation is unique, but in '16,  before I bought my Tundra (had a smaller boat then), I speced out both Tacos and Tundras.  Pricing, and fuel economy weren't massively different between the two, so I ended up going with the Tundra, which was fortunate, as 4 months later we were driving it down to the FL gulf coast to pick up our 225ssi.

To be honest, I’m white knuckles towing my 256SSI with my Tundra, even short distances.  It looks like the tail wagging the dog.  That’s why the boat lives in The dock.

Simple answer is yes to your question.  In order to get a precise answer for yourself what exactly does the rig weigh, bring it to a scale, your estimates I would think are close but if your going to be playing around the limits my as well know.  Also how much are we towing and where, how far what kind of road.  If this trip was only 5 miles down the road on 35mph yeah I wouldn't worry about,  Go slower if needed and whatever, but taking it an hour plus, on HWY, up and down hills no.

Second these published limits are usually below what actually can be done, but with that said the ratings are there for a reason and are recognized as fact by law enforcement and insurance agencies.  But its not like go one pound over the truck wont work and your guaranteed to die.  Which I am surprised this thread hasn't garnered your going to crash and die and your insurance wont pay comments. 

End of the day numbers and the eye test say you need a 1/2 ton truck.  Depending on trim level there is no cost savings on the smaller truck and really aren't more efficient gas wise.  TBH IMO i don't get the compact truck market beyond fleet sales,  unless you just want a smaller compact truck as the cost to purchase, own balanced off what they can do just isn't there.  But with that said if TACO cant do it, my guess us an older armada aint cutting the mustard either

I've got a an 18' Taco TRD Off-Road and pull my Sunesta 234 fine... loaded weight with trailer is just about 6,000lbs.  I'm going less than 10 miles to the my slip maybe 4 times a year though to put the boat in the slip and take it out.

On 1/14/2019 at 10:39 AM, soldier4402 said:

Second these published limits are usually below what actually can be done,

Yep.  You should see what I loaded and towed with my old F-150 lol.  I would go well beyond half a ton many times.  One time I had a pallet of roof shingles that was probably close to a ton and the wheel well was about 2" off the top of the tires and it was fine.  Those ratings are for liability purposes firstly, and secondary is actual limit capability.

but with that said the ratings are there for a reason and are recognized as fact by law enforcement and insurance agencies.  But its not like go one pound over the truck wont work and your guaranteed to die.

You just have to be smart about how far you push it.  I see trucks way overloaded and towing much larger capacities than allowed and cops don't care one bit, almost always.  If you do get into an accident, it's a different story.

Which I am surprised this thread hasn't garnered your going to crash and die and your insurance wont pay comments. 

Lol.  Love it.  :haha-7383:

2 hours ago, Hatem said:

Yep.  You should see what I loaded and towed with my old F-150 lol.  I would go well beyond half a ton many times.  One time I had a pallet of roof shingles that was probably close to a ton and the wheel well was about 2" off the top of the tires and it was fine.  Those ratings are for liability purposes firstly, and secondary is actual limit capability.

You just have to be smart about how far you push it.  I see trucks way overloaded and towing much larger capacities than allowed and cops don't care one bit, almost always.  If you do get into an accident, it's a different story.

Lol.  Love it.  :haha-7383:

Always the liability out there specially if the crash if high dollar or loss of life, in that case everything will be looked at.  Second is hate to do the wrong thing that puts you in bad position to begin with.  Always told to use the right tool for the job, but sometimes you got to use a screw driver as a hammer you know.  The buy a diesel to haul a jet ski mentality is insane, and bigger trucks don't make up for your lack of skill or caution.