Can a TACO pull my 244 Sunesta?

52 minutes ago, soldier4402 said:

The buy a diesel to haul a jet ski mentality is insane

I agree, hyperbole aside.

52 minutes ago, soldier4402 said:

bigger trucks don't make up for your lack of skill or caution.

True, but they can help make up for others'!

On 1/14/2019 at 9:43 AM, Rick480 said:

To be honest, I’m white knuckles towing my 256SSI with my Tundra, even short distances.  It looks like the tail wagging the dog.  That’s why the boat lives in The dock.

Interesting, as while I can feel the boat when towing my 225, the truck's still definitely in charge.  Is your trailer aluminium or steel?  It looks like there's only about 700 lbs difference in dry weight between the 224 and 256 SSI (I didn't look at engines, fuel, etc.), but my trailer's light enough that I can move it by hand in and out of the garage when the boat's at the dock.

When i tow my cruiser it's typically a 4 hour tow up and down 6% grades. I like having the big truck in charge. I really like the torq shift tranny for descending the long steep grades I encounter. Set the speed at the top of the hill and no need to touch the brakes. 

People focus too much on the ability to tow a trailer and not so much on the ability to control it in bad situations. 

25 minutes ago, Phillbo said:

People focus too much on the ability to tow a trailer and not so much on the ability to control it in bad situations

Great quote. Right on.

Ya I did like the big truck, just it's hard to use the big truck as the daily driver fro me.

Heck, I used to use my 40' Gulfstream DP -350HP  Cat engine, freighliner  chasis on 1000+ mile trips.   Except for the remote camera I could not tell there was a 24 foot boat attached. 

One trip I had issues with the surge brake and it locked on.  Did not noticed but lucky I got flagged down and stopped before serious damage.  To finish the trip I  took out one of the bleed screws and went without brakes.  I know that sounds dangerous but had no issues with braking in that RV even without trailer brakes, I could not even tell the difference without them. 

Like I said going to keep the Armada for now.  I've upgraded the suspension and brakes, had it detailed out and it's really all I need for now.    I can't say I'd buy another one, but the v8 titan frame is fine for what I'm doing.  Nissan is just to hard to get parts, most have to come from the dealer.  I do my own work (have a garage and lift) and like afterfactory mods / upgrades.  There are not a lot of (reasonably priced) upgrades for Armadas.

2 hours ago, sburke91 said:

Interesting, as while I can feel the boat when towing my 225, the truck's still definitely in charge.  Is your trailer aluminium or steel?  It looks like there's only about 700 lbs difference in dry weight between the 224 and 256 SSI (I didn't look at engines, fuel, etc.), but my trailer's light enough that I can move it by hand in and out of the garage when the boat's at the dock.

My trailer is aluminum, double axle.  It would be very hard to move by hand.  Boat and trailer probably weigh 6500-7000 lbs, well within the Tundra’s towing capacity.  It’s still a 5500 lb 20’ truck towing a 7000 lb 30’ plus load.  

4 hours ago, Rick480 said:

My trailer is aluminum, double axle.  It would be very hard to move by hand.  Boat and trailer probably weigh 6500-7000 lbs, well within the Tundra’s towing capacity.  It’s still a 5500 lb 20’ truck towing a 7000 lb 30’ plus load.  

I weighed in at 5640, boat and trailer, with about 1/2 a tank of fuel.  That extra 1000-1400 lbs does make a big difference.

I Have seen a towed horse trailer with horses in it start building up bigger and bigger swerving of the tow truck. The truck slowed down as fast as possible. A few more whips & I would be a witness for the innocent horses. Very long horse trailer.

I think a lot depends on what type of towing you will be doing.  A few miles on low speed city streets is very different from towing hundreds of miles at interstate speeds.

i prefer to tow with excess tow capacity. 

brick

Where I work, we have used Tundras to pull similar loads and have replaced two transmissions.  IMHO the Japanese trucks just are as beefy where to need to be reliable towing vehicle.  I know this comment may start a S___ storm but I've seen too many failures to be comfortable.

To be fair, a good friend of mine just blew out his Allison Tranny on a 3/4 ton GMC Diesel.  The best overall towing performance vehicles we have had are the RAMS.

Al

13 hours ago, Baum's aweigh said:

Where I work, we have used Tundras to pull similar loads and have replaced two transmissions.  IMHO the Japanese trucks just are as beefy where to need to be reliable towing vehicle.  I know this comment may start a S___ storm but I've seen too many failures to be comfortable.

To be fair, a good friend of mine just blew out his Allison Tranny on a 3/4 ton GMC Diesel.  The best overall towing performance vehicles we have had are the RAMS.

Al

I don't like the looks or thought of them, but Tundras are good trucks setting all biases aside.  All these brands are really close at the end of the day, except Nissan, Nissan is hot garbage and continues to be ranked and and rated as such, they should have stuck with cars.

I also like the fact Toyota trucks are made in Texas.   Ram's are mostly made in Mexico.  But Rams are good, biggest complaint I have is they seem to rust much easier than many other brands.

As an owner of a Nissan Armada, I have to laugh at the statement they are hot garbage.  I agree.  I will never buy another Nissan care or truck.  They are not designed well.   Like on my Armada, it's the V8 Titan frame, but most everything is UNDERBUILT.  Small drive chain, weak transfer boxes, undersized brakes - the oil filter is the SAME oil filter used in my Honda CRV.  (You want OVERSIZED, in a work truck.  I've replaced and upgraded suspension, brakes,  exhaust and such and   I do like the tracdtion control system.  I keep my Armada running and it gets the job done, but it really is a Soccer mom SUV, not for anybody that does much work with it.     Nissan IMHO is the last brand of anything to own.  Did I mention PARTS are really expensive in comparison?  

Agree with your comments when first introduced, but the Altima today is a great car. Cheap, solid, safe, reliable and great fuel economy. Don’t tow with it, and please no wing or painted calipers. If you’re just going to rack up highway miles, a real good option.