wfbacker

Seadek or Gatorstep for swim platform

I've had SeaDek on my swim platforms for eight years.  Absolutely love it.  I've heard Gatorstep is good too.  Either should work.  Very worthwhile upgrade.

y4mPCh-S-Bq5DKipvdRt-SFJiNf0KVUVBZ25Nlf4

Love SeaDek. Lots of experience with it. All positive. Regardless of who you decide to work with, take the extra time, spend the few extra bucks and do the dry fit unless they have your exact pattern already. Then, when the finished product is received, follow the prep and installation instructions, and take your time. Success is a lot like the old adage measure twice cut once. Done right, it really makes your boat more functional and better looking. 

Gatorstep has the template for my boat, but SeaDek does not.  And, Gatorstep will send their "paper" template for me to put on my boat before I place my order to make sure it is a perfect fit.  I guess with SeaDek, I would have to make my own template.  I would hate to screw it up.  

I did my own template for my boat.  I basically used the cross hatch edges as my borders.  Worked out well.

1 hour ago, Futzin' said:

I did my own template for my boat.  I basically used the cross hatch edges as my borders.  Worked out well.

Exactly.

I don't remember the cost.  We got a group buy discount at the time (2010).  Pretty sure they don't offer that any more.  It was a hassle to get eight parties to commit, get templates, approve plans, order, etc.  Not a bit surprised they no longer offer the discount, but in 2010 they were still a fairly young and hungry company.  The product is fantastic, IMO.

who did you end up using  On SeaDek website my template wasn't available so I called and they said they had it, there sending the dry fit template for 5 bucks

On 1/11/2019 at 8:34 PM, Futzin' said:

I've had SeaDek on my swim platforms for eight years.  Absolutely love it.  I've heard Gatorstep is good too.  Either should work.  Very worthwhile upgrade.

Any issues with burning of the edges.  I read some where in here where the glare from the sun off the gel coat can burn the edges.  Also do they get hot or stay somewhat comfy when in the hot sun?  I am ready to buy this.  

I've had SeaDek on my platform and entire cockpit for about 3 years now.  Very pleased with it.  No burning and it doesn't get hot

Just now, MonkeySeaII said:

I've had SeaDek on my platform and entire cockpit for about 3 years now.  Very pleased with it.  No burning and it doesn't get hot

Thanks.  looks like straight forward installation.  Any tips you can give?

What colors did you use.  Assuming black on bottom.  What is the grey called?

installation is simple.  Just follow the instructions on cleaning the floor and fill the snap holes from the carpet.

FB_IMG_1538498441335.jpg

4 hours ago, DOG BOsSS said:

Any issues with burning of the edges.  I read some where in here where the glare from the sun off the gel coat can burn the edges.  Also do they get hot or stay somewhat comfy when in the hot sun?  I am ready to buy this.  

No burning of edges, they are fine.  Bear in mind my boat stays out of the weather when not in use (outside, but covered).  It can get a bit hot to the touch on a really hot Kentucky day, but not terrible like some I've felt.  It's close to the water, anyway!  If I had it to do over, I'd choose the same colors.

The colors are mica over black (not grey, just a bad picture).  My boat has the 'Champagne' interior color scheme (tans, browns).  The mica does not match, but I feel it offers a reasonable complement . . . 

On ‎4‎/‎24‎/‎2019 at 10:34 AM, MonkeySeaII said:

installation is simple.  Just follow the instructions on cleaning the floor and fill the snap holes from the carpet.

FB_IMG_1538498441335.jpg

Is that your 256?  Where's the transom walk-thru?

On 4/24/2019 at 8:55 AM, DOG BOsSS said:

Never seen the edges burn, at least when the factory finishes the edge.

Certain colors do get hot. We currently have the teak product. It’s not a very dark color, but oddly it gets hotter than he-double hockey sticks. It’ll burn you’re bum, backside of your legs and feet. Splash some water on it, or let the wake wash up on it, and it’s immediately cool.

We had other colors in the past, no problem. Might be the black stipe in the teak product. No idea.

Great product. Really compliments a boat.

47 minutes ago, Hatem said:

Is that your 256?  Where's the transom walk-thru?

in the middle.  The center cushions come out.

13 minutes ago, MonkeySeaII said:

in the middle.  The center cushions come out.

I thought that might be the case but wasn't sure, used to seeing most of them to one side or the other.   I like that split dashboard, too.  And the seating is great.  Looks brand new! 

1 hour ago, Hatem said:

I thought that might be the case but wasn't sure, used to seeing most of them to one side or the other.   I like that split dashboard, too.  And the seating is great.  Looks brand new! 

thanks, I try my best to keep her looking new.

Talked to a guy selling one or the other at the Detroit boat show, can't remember which one. He said that the product all comes from the same place, just everyone puts their own name and design on it. Don't know for sure, just hear say.  Denny.

2 minutes ago, Denny said:

Talked to a guy selling one or the other at the Detroit boat show, can't remember which one. He said that the product all comes from the same place, just everyone puts their own name and design on it. Don't know for sure, just hear say.  Denny.

I doubt that. I have samples from SeaDek, Aqua Traction, Aqua Marine Deck, and Gatorstep and there’s a difference in the firmness between them. SeaDek feels the squishiest. 

27 minutes ago, rjbergen said:

I doubt that. I have samples from SeaDek, Aqua Traction, Aqua Marine Deck, and Gatorstep and there’s a difference in the firmness between them. SeaDek feels the squishiest. 

Maybe they make different densities, like foam rubber. Maybe that was his sales pitch.

There is no place to put that stuff on my girl, so I have never researched it.  Denny.

I called Sea Dek and they offer a 15% off veterans discount.  Ordering it tomorrow.  Cant wait.  sent color samples also which solidified my decision on the colors.  

You will love it.  What colors are you going with?