Chappy275ssi

Bravo 3 side to side slop

Hi fellow Chappy boaters, I hope everyone is getting through this winter ok. I have a question for you all. My boat is a 2007 Chaparral 275ssi with a 496 Mercury with the bravo 3 outdrive. My outdrive needs the steering pin fixed. I know this is common on the bravo 3 drives. I have been given two options to fix it. The first is too pull the engine and fix it that way, the second is to drill into the side of the bell housing and replace it then put plugs in to cover the holes. To me this would possibly be a way for water intrusion. Has anyone had this done? If so what way did you go about getting it done? Thanks in advance for any advice or ideas on this repair. 

Couple of years ago ???  I think the same  / similar question ??

Yes I have done several of these. Go to JRMARINE.COM. Ron has a kit to do it and has every part you could need for the gimble ring repair. I recommend using an Oem merc u bolt as I have had issues using the stainless ones. Also get the stainless steering pin off of eBay. Although I know he goes out of country for a part of the winter. If you want to try to tackle it yourself it will take you 2 hours to take apart. Then you can see all the parts you will need. You are also going to need some special tools but it's still cheaper than paying someone. Feel free to ask me any questions you have.Biggest reason for this happening is lack of maintenance on the ubolt. Should be re torqued to 55 lbs at least once a year as regular maintenance.

I’ve had to fix one.  It was back when I used to let other men touch my lady under the bonnet.  I know, and yes I’m still ashamed.  Plus it put me back 2.7 herd.  ...two years later the engine had to come back out for a “minor underwater strike” a few weeks earlier, that was 4.3 herds.  Bout now, I got to thinking that fella was sure spending a lot of time in her bonnet.  Gave me pause.   I finely got wind.  The gig was up!  But it was too late, at only 100 hours since the last engine pull.  I lost another coupler.  For the third time in 5 year period the engine was again needed his hands all up in her bonnet.  I put my foot down.  It was my turn to give it a whyrl.  No man shall ever have his hands in her bonnet again but me.  Unless I sell her this spring.

oh did I mention I had the engine pulled.  Water leak was my concern too.  I knew that the shortcut method would haunt me.  I didn’t want that at the back of my mind when out late at night with a gal and a brew...or two

I have done the steering ring repair both ways, by pulling the motor or with the mercury plug kit.  The plug kit is the easiest way to go, in my opinion (at least if you have the right tools).  If the transom seal is also leaking water into the boat, the engine removal and transom seal repair can be done at the same time as the steering ring replacement, saving some time doing both repairs.

When using the plug repair kit method, do yourself a favor and thread the nylock nut onto the steering shaft once when it is removed before installing the shaft.  It makes it a lot easier to put it back on using a drift during the final install.