Sign in to follow this  
Futzin'

Thoughts on the new Supra? (car)

As a former Supra owner I've been looking forward to the unveiling of the 2020 Toyota Supra.  I remembered a thread here a while back where it turned out about four of us (220 & 210 guys) owned a Supra or Celica back in the day.

Curious what you guys think of the new car . . . 

Saw it. Looks sweet!  My dream car in high school (‘80s) was the 1986 1/2 Supra. Test drive one but didn’t have the $10k to buy it. Been looking at them again recently for a daily driver to keep miles off my Ram. 

10 hours ago, TexasPilot71 said:

Saw it. Looks sweet!  My dream car in high school (‘80s) was the 1986 1/2 Supra. Test drive one but didn’t have the $10k to buy it. Been looking at them again recently for a daily driver to keep miles off my Ram. 

I'm right there with you.  My dream car was a Supra Turbo in HS.  Also 86-87.  I had a friend who go one and I was so jealous.

I had an '80 Celica Supra with '86 rims.  Looked fantastic, was a great car.  Absolutely loved, loved that car.

Been looking for Toyota to build something that's not so darn boring as pretty much everything in their current stable.  Was it to be the Scion FRS (current Toyota 86)?  Nope, that was/is a Suburu.  Surely bringing back the vaunted Supra would be a dedicated Toyota effort?  

Nope, the 2020 has a BMW chassis, a BMW engine, and a host of BMW interior parts.  And it's so darn small!  I do like the look of it, and I'm sure it drives great, but don't try to tell me it's a Toyota.

Seems to me that Toyota wants to badge a sports car, not build a sports car.

A lot of car companies are doing the joint venture on models or at least using each other's motors. Infinity was using a Mercedes 2.0 turbo motor that was an oil leaking POS. Wasn't a long run. If you get a minute check out the new Altima 2.0 variable compression turbo motor, 287hp.  It's pretty trick stuff here. Let me know if you have any questions. No decompression valves all mechanical.

1 hour ago, Mi3sons said:

A lot of car companies are doing the joint venture on models

True.  Doesn't mean I'll buy it.  Americans have lost the ability to think for themselves.  We swallow what's popular whatever we're told is good by media or the general populace.  Started with reality TV.  Who watches that crap, for sh!ts sake?

If Toyota isn't committed to building it, why should I feel confident buying it?  I can just buy a Z4 and that bimmer dealer will be accustomed to working on its systems.   But hey Toyoda, I'm not a propeller guy; I'm a guy trying to find an interesting vehicle in your lineup.  BTW, what happened to the FJ Cruiser?  Maybe they'll work with Mahindra on that one next.

I'm sure it's a fine car.  But it's not a Toyota, and it darn sure isn't a Supra.  It was done in the interested of decreased risk and expense, with the goal of maximizing profits.  Ok fine, but they'll need sales to achieve profits and I don't think it'll happen.  How many Suburu 86s are they moving?  Can you imagine a Kia Tacoma?  How well would that go over?

There's a preponderance of choices of vehicles today.  In the US, do we really need manufacturers swapping parts from their bins to make new ones?

If Toyota wants to make more money by working with other carmakers, maybe they can sell their electrical systems to the Brits!

climbing down now . . . still just January

I'm no Toyota fan either. Reminds me of back in the late seventies when you could buy a TransAm with a Pontiac, Olds or Buick motor in it.