tomnjo

How I envy you guys with large garages....

So, we get the most snow that we have had in years, just under a foot.

y4myoRpVO5xRe6waHq3PPtWEVaFt355yFCey4m_C

Boat is stored outside, Sharkskin cover with pole to hold the center up. Pole may not have been the best thing.

y4msNHlV5NLBMmm-89N5HsWBHvdKxblA7lfXsswd

Yep, snow is heavy. Of course, this was taken after I cleared the snow. Sharkskin apparently not rated for a foot of snow.  :slap:   Also, if anyone is considering it, Sharkskin gets a bit brittle in cold temps. Had some snow in the cockpit, scooped it out the best I could. Scooped what was in my bench seat storage area into the bilge. Got in there because I remove the seat bottoms when stored. You know how when you are boat shopping for a used boat and you see a boat that makes you cringe? That's how I felt looking at mine. The bow area was OK.

y4mTEKR_7JuJiX5tOMgYcWzBHduKBm0haedhiTPP

I had a pole up there, too, but I also had my snap on Sunbrella cover underneath. Needless to say, that is my temporary fix for the cockpit, until I get a new Sunbrella cover this time.

y4mcYjjSnjEzTiCTs6p4bCLnJralsAB0wuUK39Dj

It's just going to have to stay like this for another 6 weeks or so. Spring cleanup is going to be a fun one this year.  :unsure:

Sorry for your loss, we in IN to have had more than usual snow so far and are expecting more this weekend.  I suggest that rather than buy a new cover now, just head to Lowes and get a poly tarp and throw that one over the existing tarp and throw a couple inner tubes on edge under the both to hold them up. Buy the new cover in the spring when the worst of the winter weather is over.

Well, I put my snap on cockpit cover under what's left of the Sharkskin for now. The Sunbrella cockpit cover is much stronger, even at it's age. Yeah, I will be trolling the cover sites for sales for the next few months. We have a couple of more inches coming this weekend, too. Never had a problem with that much.

I did have a round piece of plastic on the end. Still too much weight.

I just go out with a shop floor bristle broom & push off the snow as is gets at about 3 to 4 inches deep.  4 times at most during a snow fall.  When I stored the 16' aluminum outside.

Tom,. I live in O'Fallon and highly recommend Mark's Upholstery in O'Fallon, he makes outstanding covers.

Even a foot of snow may not have usually been a problem, but this snow was heavy.  At least down here a little south of St. Louis all the snow fell when it was between 32 and 35 degrees so it was wet and slushy.  Gave you a real workout to shovel.  I got my Westland Sunbrella cover at coveranything.com.  they have a pattern for our 210's, and actually for most boats that I'd ever heard of.  Ordered it, got in a few days and took it with me to pick up our "new" boat when we got it.  Fit like a glove and the best price I could find.  When ours was getting worked on last spring it had to sit out at the repair shop while they waited for parts.  A monsoon hit MO the week before Easter if you recall, and rain came down too fast for the cover to shed it (and the shop hadn't tightened it up all the way).  I also had the sun pad out to make it easier for them to work on so there was a large span unsupported.  When I went to check on it over the weekend the weight of the water had the cover almost touching the floor in the cockpit.  There had to be 50 gallons sitting in the cover.  Used my arm to splash out enough till I could pull the cover tight and drain the rest.  Not a drop got through and the cover shrank right back to it's original size so that it again fit like a glove.

16 hours ago, tomnjo said:

So, we get the most snow that we have had in years, just under a foot.

y4myoRpVO5xRe6waHq3PPtWEVaFt355yFCey4m_C

You call that snow?  That's a sprinkle, homestyle.  A spring tease, a flurry, a pass-by snowing maybe even a snow-squall by our standards. :D 

THIS is snow!  :haha-7383:

wlgaZuC.jpg

gR4wJ2v.jpg

xiHgRc6.jpg

fcDJp6R.jpg

UrsxzHQ.jpg

kLvIj1l.jpg

JKeZBTu.jpg

LoL! :D 

In N J we always get the wet heavy snow.  You DO NOT LET IT SIT  !!!!!!!!!

Is becomes a chunk of  snowy ice.  Blower front bladescan be stalled or bent.      GO OUT & do the removal as IT IS REQUIRED to prevent damage or locked in cars.

:thththsoapbox2-1:

I don't miss those days of not having a garage for the boat.  I used to put my sunbrella cockpit cover on, then my Sharkskin over it.  Then I'd wrap the entire boat with a massive blue tarp.  When it snowed, I'd have to immediately sweep it off.  But for the past 10 years, I've stored it in my in-laws corrugated garage/barn.  No heat or lights but better than outside!

When my boat lived at my house, I also used multiple covers, then parked it under a 10 x 20 canopy.  Yeah, when it snowed I had to periodically remove the snow from the canopy roof.

Large garages are great . . . I don't have one either.

HG, I would have to move. Are those pics from that big snow up there a couple of years ago? We haven't had this much in years. The most snow we ever had was what everyone around here refers to as the Blizzard of 82, about 22 to 24 inches. I was in my early twenties then, so it was still fun for me. We are getting three more inches this weekend. What's left of the Sharkskin is over the Sunbrella snap on covers now.

1 minute ago, Phillbo said:

You don't have to shovel sunshine....

You are now......:haha-7383:

19 hours ago, Pgeiser said:

Tom,. I live in O'Fallon and highly recommend Mark's Upholstery in O'Fallon, he makes outstanding covers.

Yeah, I know about him from the Pool 26 FB page. Will probably use him when I need new cockpit and bow covers. BTW, how are your docks holding up? Saw some pics of some sinking from all of the weight.

Tom, I was at our harbor yesterday, Yacht Club of St. Louis.  There are some fingers of one dock that are under water but no damage to any boats.  If we continue use melting today and tomorrow they should be above water.  I'm on a hoist in a 32' slip that ha slips facing each other so we have no problem at all.  I'm still hoping for an early spring.  You need to consider getting out of the storage lot and in a slip with a hoist, you will find that you will be able to boat more than double or triple what you are doing now.  

1 minute ago, Pgeiser said:

Tom, I was at our harbor yesterday, Yacht Club of St. Louis.  There are some fingers of one dock that are under water but no damage to any boats.  If we continue use melting today and tomorrow they should be above water.  I'm on a hoist in a 32' slip that ha slips facing each other so we have no problem at all.  I'm still hoping for an early spring.  You need to consider getting out of the storage lot and in a slip with a hoist, you will find that you will be able to boat more than double or triple what you are doing now.  

We have considered it but proximity to the water isn't as much of an issue to us as time off of work. I work alot of weekends, too. We are getting closer to your easy scheduling, though.   :D   

That's why I love my tower. I run ratchet straps from the tower to the cleats. I then put a heavy duty tarp over the boat and tower. Looks like a high mountain but it's pretty steep at all angles and the snow falls off. Occasionally I hit the tarp with a broom and it all slides off. Wife hates the look of it but it works perfect. I'd build one out off wood and tarp over the wood.

I used a LONG lumber yard 2 x 4 bent / arched from bow to stern well of the 16' boat.   I put 3 TALL supports on the centerline of the floor. Very steep tarp  sides. Nothing stuck but a little ice on the peak ridge. Tap  tap. It all slid off.

18 hours ago, tomnjo said:

HG, I would have to move. Are those pics from that big snow up there a couple of years ago? We haven't had this much in years. The most snow we ever had was what everyone around here refers to as the Blizzard of 82, about 22 to 24 inches. I was in my early twenties then, so it was still fun for me. We are getting three more inches this weekend. What's left of the Sharkskin is over the Sunbrella snap on covers now.

lol.  Yeah the first few of the huge mounds was in 2015 when we got 2 straight weeks of storm after storm and we ended up with a total of 3-1/2' for just that span.  The last couple ones were 2016-18 winters. 

Ironically this year, we've had maybe a total of 1" so far and we're 2/3 of the way through January.  But it's the Northeast so even April can dump a couple of feet of that crap.  And this weekend is a nasty one coming that has the freeze following it.  Those are the dangerous ones where temps fluctuate greatly during, before and after.  There's an ice warning & advisory posted for this weekend.  Makes you really cherish the 3 months of boating weather.  :haha-7383:

Shrink-wrap is really the only and best way to guard your boat against this @#$%@#.  I bought that huge cover that supposedly should work so I don't have to pay for shrink wrap every year but I have my doubts as to how effective it's going to be.  We shall see.

23 hours ago, Futzin' said:

When my boat lived at my house, I also used multiple covers, then parked it under a 10 x 20 canopy.  Yeah, when it snowed I had to periodically remove the snow from the canopy roof.

Large garages are great . . . I don't have one either.

I do like my garage. Boat just fits!

brick 

image.thumb.jpeg.043baaaf689912d2ba2abdb9d5e0f2b1.jpeg

4 hours ago, brick said:

I do like my garage. Boat just fits!

brick 

image.thumb.jpeg.043baaaf689912d2ba2abdb9d5e0f2b1.jpeg

I used to have that garage til we moved. Bigger house, smaller garage. Go figure. 

Three more inches coming tonight. I'm driving to Peachtree City, Georgia to look for some garage space.  :rolleyes: