SST

F150 going electric?

I just read an article that Ford is going electric with the F150. I can see it for local activity but I can't see driving my truck with a 6000lb boat in tow at 70mph at night with all the lights on. Then sitting in traffic at the border with the air conditioning running. Is this really possible? The cost to the buyer? Hahaha....not me.

https://electrek.co/2019/01/16/ford-all-electric-f150-pickup-truck/

I'm not quite ready for an electric daily driver; certainly not an electric towing vehicle.

Time to buy a Durango SRT and a Power Wagon!  Good to go for years until the electric/hybrid stuff settles.  :P

You would really need to see how much weaker a battery is in 20 or 5 degrees F. before buying a electric.

Let's see, back up your new electric F150 into the water to launch your boat. What could possibly go wrong? Don't worry about that garbage can lid you went over on the way there.

14 hours ago, Mi3sons said:

Let's see, back up your new electric F150 into the water to launch your boat. What could possibly go wrong? Don't worry about that garbage can lid you went over on the way there.

I thought the same thing with 800 Volts DC.  Even the rescue crews needed to learn where the primary cables are located so the jaws of life don't turn into the path to ground. It's a brave new world out there. Direct injection gasoline engines so common now too with mechanical fuel pumps running at up to 10,000# of pressure, and situated dead center on top of the engine on some models.  W

electric vehicles are only feasible in an urban area.  They just don't have the range for people who live in a more rural setting.  

20 minutes ago, MonkeySeaII said:

electric vehicles are only feasible in an urban area.  They just don't have the range for people who live in a more rural setting.  

Makes you wonder how they will rate towing capacity, as you know pulling a trailer will drain that battery in a hurry. W

50 minutes ago, Wingnut said:

Makes you wonder how they will rate towing capacity, as you know pulling a trailer will drain that battery in a hurry. W

no doubt.  Doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me unless it's just a person who drives a pick up truck for light deliveries in a city.

20 minutes ago, MonkeySeaII said:

no doubt.  Doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me unless it's just a person who drives a pick up truck for light deliveries in a city.

I have a friend in North Jersey who has a Ford F-350 with the International Navastar diesel, 4 wd, extended cab, and as near as I can figure the heaviest thing he puts in it is his lunch bag. He's ready for anything though.    Ha...   W

4 hours ago, Wingnut said:

I have a friend in North Jersey who has a Ford F-350 with the International Navastar diesel, 4 wd, extended cab, and as near as I can figure the heaviest thing he puts in it is his lunch bag. He's ready for anything though.    Ha...   W

I have always wondered how many truck owners own a truck for business vs having one because its the latest fad or cool thing. I love watching the news when the gas prices go up. They all start fitchin", whining and crying about how they can't keep up with the cost.  I just laugh. 

I bought mine based on necessity and the best fit for what I need, not popularity. While I don't like gas prices going up either, I know it will be inevitable. 

Range would be a major issue for me.  On the plus side, my company's campus has over a dozen recharging stations.  A lot of electric car drivers come in, plug in for the day and go home.  There is supposed to be a four hour limit to make room for other.  The chargers are the higher current fast style.  Then there is the towing capacity.  I tend to take the truck and trailer with the dirt bikes on trips.  How far can I go.

Anyway, itll be interesting.

25 minutes ago, SST said:

I have always wondered how many truck owners own a truck for business vs having one because its the latest fad or cool thing. I love watching the news when the gas prices go up. They all start fitchin", whining and crying about how they can't keep up with the cost.  I just laugh. 

I bought mine based on necessity and the best fit for what I need, not popularity. While I don't like gas prices going up either, I know it will be inevitable. 

My little Jimmy gets 19.96, 19.94, 19.98, but just refuses to give me a 20 MPH.  Now, hook up the boat and it drops to 10, but I don't know the boat is back there until it's time to stop. Like the saying goes, if the brakes don't stop you, something will.  W

Drive a Tesla, then come back and post your thoughts.  It's a game changer.  It's like trading your blackberry for an iPhone.  Didn't know I needed one until I got one.  The powertrain will do just fine in a truck.  Ford doesn't have a choice.  Get with the program or be left out.   You will have trucks doing 0-60 in < 5 sec with more torque than you know what to do with.

Trailers may have battery packs.  Towing range issues solved.  Trailer (or truck battery) could also serves as a power source for camping needs, etc...

Electric boats are coming.  I will welcome getting rid of the engine noise while flying across the water.  

Tesla sure is laying off people left and right. I wouldn't think a solid and popular maker would do that.

12 hours ago, VAboater said:

Drive a Tesla, then come back and post your thoughts.  It's a game changer.  It's like trading your blackberry for an iPhone.  Didn't know I needed one until I got one.  The powertrain will do just fine in a truck.  Ford doesn't have a choice.  Get with the program or be left out.

This is very true.  Maintaining the top position in the world is not an easy task when new technologies are popping up left and right, especially a completely revolutionary one like going electric.  You need to adapt to that new technology.  From what I read, they'll be coming out with not only a fully electric truck but a hybrid as well.

I think once we start seeing charging stations pop up in all places, that's when we'll know things are certainly changing in that direction.  They also need to find ways to speed up that charging instead of the hours that it takes.  Pumping gas is much faster.

12 hours ago, VAboater said:

Electric boats are coming.  I will welcome getting rid of the engine noise while flying across the water.  

Most definitely.  I wonder who's going to be the first to come out with an all-electrically powered boat?  Any picks?  If you take the top 10 biggest or most successful recreational boat manufacturers out there, it's not an easy pic to pull out of the bunch.  Could be any of them. 

Europeans have had short range electric delivery vans for decades. England is who I first read about.

33 minutes ago, Hatem said:

This is very true.  Maintaining the top position in the world is not an easy task when new technologies are popping up left and right, especially a completely revolutionary one like going electric.  You need to adapt to that new technology.  From what I read, they'll be coming out with not only a fully electric truck but a hybrid as well.

I think once we start seeing charging stations pop up in all places, that's when we'll know things are certainly changing in that direction.  They also need to find ways to speed up that charging instead of the hours that it takes.  Pumping gas is much faster.

Most definitely.  I wonder who's going to be the first to come out with an all-electrically powered boat?  Any picks?  If you take the top 10 biggest or most successful recreational boat manufacturers out there, it's not an easy pic to pull out of the bunch.  Could be any of them. 

There was one at the Annapolis boat show last year. 90 minute range

Nissan had plans for 4-5 hybrid vehicles coming out 5 years ago. Then they seemed to drop the idea. The new leaf is better than the last however we have only sold one. As long as relatively cheap gas is around there just isn't a demand for hybrid or EV transportation. Not that it isn't on the way.  As far as the safety concern I had to attend a four day class on safe handling and repairing of the Leaf and the battery. Proper procedure of disconnecting and isolating the EV battery and powertrain components. The funny thing is that none of the body shop people had to get trained or have any idea on how to do it if collision repair is needed. We have been contacted several times by fire companies on how to safely get into them in an emergency but there is no exact answer as it depends on the circumstances of the damage. The main disconnect is inside the car. It's a 600 pound 600 volt battery. To have that in a boat? Not me.

600 volts is a VERY dangerous voltage to get thru your heart. Fatal.  Plenty of amperage.to stop it..…… DO NOT DIY that system. Rubber gloves & a full  face shield are required.

On 1/19/2019 at 9:07 PM, VAboater said:

<snip>

I just watched a video on Frauscher Boats, on YouTube.  They show a lot of gas engines, but there are some shots of the electric boats, especially towards the end of the video.

6 hours ago, cyclops2 said:

600 volts is a VERY dangerous voltage to get thru your heart. Fatal.  Plenty of amperage.to stop it..…… DO NOT DIY that system. Rubber gloves & a full  face shield are required.

Yes I have to wear 1000 volt rated rubber gloves with leather protectors that have to be sent out to be inspected every 12 months, arc flash helmet, electric approved work boots and have to stand on a rubber mat. Also I have to cordon off the area around the car whenever I have to do any high voltage work on the car.