SST

F150 going electric?

15 hours ago, Roady68 said:

I just watched a video on Frauscher Boats, on YouTube.  They show a lot of gas engines, but there are some shots of the electric boats, especially towards the end of the video.

The Demon looks amazing!  It's basically a Center Console/Speed Boat/Cruiser all in one.  And while the bow is nicely accessible from both sides with those teak steps and walkway, they didn't ruin the fast-looks by adding a safety bow rail.  And that straight, forward drop on the bow is getting to be more common now in many of these new designs. 

Frauscher-1414-Demon_2.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

6060383_20170105074328461_1_XLARGE.jpg&w

I have to say that the boat looks better from a great distance.   Close up it looks like sharp edged computer aided design.   I like old style

Just noticed it only seats 8 skinny people. My old 186 seats 7 + 200 pounders very loosely.  Price is at least a 6 pack of 186s ?

Hatem

Where did you hide the anchor ?   :D

Is that really a windshield with 1 veryhighly stressed p0int of contact ?  No side curved wings to prevent collapse & possible rip off into the passengers ?

Pass on it at any price.

Great boat in very protected waters.

Love the tight rope walking bow paths in any chop or wind.

Different to be different boat.

On ‎1‎/‎22‎/‎2019 at 9:39 AM, cyclops2 said:

Hatem

Where did you hide the anchor ?   :D

Had to hide it in the anchor locker because it would change the look of that boat completely if it was hanging off the bow.  Not having any rails is already crazy enough, I doubt they would think windlass of any kind.

Back on topic, Tesla is a couple of years away from a full production E-truck and with their success so far, it will be a tough model to compete against, even for a global giant like Ford.

On the other hand, I heard on NPR yesterday that a small, start-up called Rivian is only a year away from a full production electric truck and is taking orders already. The crazy thing about this co. is that the CEO is only 36 years old and took over a closed-up GM (I think) factory and will be producing all these new electric trucks in it while bringing all kinds of jobs back.  Not only does he have that going for him, but according to the numbers out there, Ford and Tesla might have their work cut out for them because supposedly a Rivian will have a 500 mile range and tow capacity greater than a 1 ton diesel on a single charge.  If that holds true, that might alter the course of everthing.

Tesla is using the GM/Toyota factory that was shuttered a few years back.  If I recall, it was a pretty new facility.    

IMHO the problem with Rivian is that they will be 100% new to making autos.  This gets back to small things like panel gaps, fit / finish, paint issues, etc...  

While it may sound like sweating the small stuff, this is frustrating if you dropped 70K+ on a truck with these issues - and no support structure in place to fix them.  

Tesla already went through these growing pains (still going on to some degree).  The Rivian specs sound great and the truck looks good.   I would not be at the front of the line waiting on delivery.  

The fit / finish and production ramp will be where the legacy makers have a leg up on the "start ups".   However, the legacy auto makers have already proven that they have no imagination and drive to do something revolutionary.  

18 minutes ago, VAboater said:

The fit / finish and production ramp will be where the legacy makers have a leg up on the "start ups".   However, the legacy auto makers have already proven that they have no imagination and drive to do something revolutionary.  

Hey, they've learned how to plunk on turbos and ugly-a$$ touch screens, and in Dodge's case, some dubious gizmo called an 'e-torque' motor.  Personally, I'm still trying to talk the Mrs. into a Durango SRT to go along with my 8.1 Suburban.  Go all-in before I get an all electric car one day.

22 hours ago, Roady68 said:

Tesla is using the GM/Toyota factory that was shuttered a few years back.  If I recall, it was a pretty new facility.    

I stand corrected.  It was the abandoned Mitsubishi plant that closed up and moved to Japan that Rivian took over. 

17 hours ago, VAboater said:

IMHO the problem with Rivian is that they will be 100% new to making autos.  This gets back to small things like panel gaps, fit / finish, paint issues, etc...  

While it may sound like sweating the small stuff, this is frustrating if you dropped 70K+ on a truck with these issues - and no support structure in place to fix them.  

Tesla already went through these growing pains (still going on to some degree).  The Rivian specs sound great and the truck looks good.   I would not be at the front of the line waiting on delivery.  

Can't say I disagree with anything you just said.  One of the interesting things I read about this company is they went to get money and investors from some pretty interesting sources, one of them being the largest Saudi Arabian automobile sales, manufacturing, assembly, and engineering companies based in KSA called Abdul Latif Jameel which incidentally has been investing in renewable resources of all kinds all over the world including that controversial solar park in Australia.  Quite a bit of irony that a Saudi Arabian giant which is known for importing Toyotas into KSA and KSA being one of the largest oil producing nations in the world has considerably shifted its interests towards renewable energy technologies.  But looking at some of the Rivian models, they don't look too bad.

2018 RT1 Pickup just unveiled last year. 

Debut_of_the_Rivian_R1T_pickup_at_the_20

R1S SUV also just unveiled in 2018.

Debut_of_the_Rivian_R1S_SUV_at_the_2018_

Saudi oil won't last forever. Perhaps they are more forward thinking than the rest of us.  Can you imagine, instead of buying oil from them we'll have to buy vehicles etc from them. Hahaha. 

Rumor has it there is more oil under the upper mid west and Great Lakes than in Saudi. Try gettin by the environmentalists.

I have always said we should reduce our production of oil, and use up Middle Eastern oil until its nearly depleted. Then increase our production again and sell it to the ME. They won't have the money to spend on terrorist. But if they are going all electric, it kinda kills the plan.

Will the manufacturers take this into account when designing and building these electric vehicles?  How dangerous will this get?

TRIGGERING AND UNINTERESSTING RELEVENT CONTENT DELETED.

Even I do not want that rolling around.  Ugly old school  boat.  6 MPH on GPS  ?    IT WILL go backwards in a breeze at WOT & with a few people.

Pass

4 hours ago, cyclops2 said:

Even I do not want that rolling around.  Ugly old school  boat.  6 MPH on GPS  ?    IT WILL go backwards in a breeze at WOT & with a few people.

Pass

You'll pass?  Were you under the impression that was supposed to impress you enough to buy it or something?  Was it that annoying to you?  I'll tell you what, I'll delete it so no one else thinks it was a post pushing a bad product or something silly like that, rather than possibly something interesting and related to the topic at hand.  After all, the forum is so much fun ATM, filled with much better content like how to write essays and buy leather jackets.  :haha-7383: