What color to buy?

About to purchase a new 277 SSX but can't decide on color - Eclipse Black or Eclipse White.  Love them both with matching tower and the silver stripe.   The boat will predominantly be used on fresh water river so I expect grime on hull bottom and heard black was more forgiving and did not show stains as much.  I've heard keeping black side hull from showing everything is a nightmare and that white was more forgiving.   My question is:  Which requires less effort - keeping the white bottom clean or the black side looking great? 

Go with the color you like the best and enjoy the boat and don't worry about that other stuff because either way you're going to be dealing with maintenance and cleaning so you're better off making the decision based on what you like and is more appealing to you.

My question is are you getting it with that cool-looking windlass anchor?

5 minutes ago, Hatem said:

you're going to be dealing with maintenance and cleaning

You're making an assumption, with no disrespect intended to the OP.  Maintaining/cleaning a black-sided boat takes significantly more effort/dedication than white.  And where/how the boat spends its time when not in use (the vast majority of its life) factors in heavily.

Black is beautiful when clean and waxed. I wash my boat about every two weeks and have it waxed every fall. After a wax you can see yourself in the black areas. Yes it takes more effort but the results are beautiful.

Get the color you like. I’ve had black hulls sit out all winter. No fading. First boat sat on a lift and wasn’t covered for many summers. No fading. But, I have our boats waxed twice per year - each Spring before launch and each Fall when stored. No color is maintenance free. No different than a car, truck, motorcycle, house, whatever.

Mine is blue and it does take more work to keep it looking the best.  Soooo, I and others have warned you.  How hard do you want to work on keeping the color up?  Unfortunately I suffer from "it's not quite there yet" so it takes me several passes to "get it there".  The other side of that is when it's right you get a lot of head turns.  Enjoy whatever you pick.

Slimy growths on a hull ?   I would go with BLACK. If the black goes out of sight underneath.   White SHOWS oil, scum, geeen algae of all types. 

If you are not a super neat freak of you hull.  Black is best.   White cars GET DUST. Dust shows up on black cars.  A dirty dusty white car always looks cleaner than any black car.

Boats are the reverse logic.  Put green slime on a white car ??  Looks uncared for.    The slime & oil stains & water minerals ?   BLACK is best.  Note touching black plastic hull surface ? can be very hot.  Make sure it is NOT carried into the passenger area. Ours has a   7' X 4' black sun pad. not very use full without a white beach towel over it...….Our boat sit in a floating dock slip.all summer.

Wife picked the colors. The whites are too common. Black is very classy. 

Your choice

It's your doe But..........:D 

They all look good on and off the water. You still have to wax them, colored sides show water spots more than white. Now if you plan on trailering, I would never get a colored gelcoat below the water-line. Putting it on and off the trailer will leave small scratches in the hull were it slides on and off the trailer. Also rocks and stuff will put little dings in the gelcoat.

.:Twocents:

:boating:

20 hours ago, Futzin' said:

You're making an assumption, with no disrespect intended to the OP.  Maintaining/cleaning a black-sided boat takes significantly more effort/dedication than white.  And where/how the boat spends its time when not in use (the vast majority of its life) factors in heavily.

"Significantly more effort"?  Completely disagree.  Explain to me how does black gelcoat take "significantly more effort" to keep shiny than white gelcoat? 

People confuse the color with the material itself and that's where they're wrong.  Gelcoat is gelcoat no matter what color it is, you still have to keep up with it to maintain its sheen, because the sheen is what makes it look good, NOT the color.    

Cyclops is 100" right, the white/black-dirt concept is the opposite with boats.  After so many years, either color gets worn or faded and you have to do the same exact process to revive it whether it's black or white.  You wet-sand it with 600 grit and work your way to 1500 and then buff and polish.  It's no different.

8 year old boat that I've had here in New England for 5 years, slipped in salt water for the last 3 years and I've waxed and buffed it ONCE in that whole time.  All I do is hose it down after each outing to wash off the salt and power-wash it after hauling it out in the fall, followed by a soap wash and scrub and dry with a towel, that's it!  You can see your own reflection off it like you can see the driveway's reflection in this pic.

i9mkSeW.jpg

And this is the side I dock against with fenders and stuff.  This is after a whole season in a salt water slip and a quick power wash, some soap and water with a scrub brush and a towel to dry.  That's hardly what I would consider significantly more maintenance than what I would do if it was an all-white hull..

P7gdVt6.jpg

20 hours ago, mpm330 said:

Black is beautiful when clean and waxed. I wash my boat about every two weeks and have it waxed every fall. After a wax you can see yourself in the black areas. Yes it takes more effort but the results are beautiful.

Why does it take more effort?  I bet you would spend the same exact time and effort on it if it was a white hull.

17 hours ago, bcboater said:

Mine is blue and it does take more work to keep it looking the best.  Soooo, I and others have warned you.  How hard do you want to work on keeping the color up? 

What does "keeping the color up" mean?  Why do you think the blue takes you more work than it would if it was white?  It's not the color that you're maintaining, it's the shine which takes the same exact effort with white as it does red, blue, green, yellow or black.

20 hours ago, aarnie64 said:

About to purchase a new 277 SSX but can't decide on color - Eclipse Black or Eclipse White.  Love them both with matching tower and the silver stripe.   The boat will predominantly be used on fresh water river so I expect grime on hull bottom and heard black was more forgiving and did not show stains as much.  I've heard keeping black side hull from showing everything is a nightmare and that white was more forgiving.   My question is:  Which requires less effort - keeping the white bottom clean or the black side looking great? 

I don't see the Eclipse Black for the 277ssx on Chap's site, just the Eclipse White and Eclipse Alloy Grey and then the black side hull like ours.  Are you sure there's an Eclipse Black?  Maybe the site is messed up although I have seen it in the Eclipse Blue with the yellow stripe which looks pretty cool, almost like the Blue Angels.

If there is an Eclipse Black and you're thinking of slipping it all season, I would consider bottom painting it to keep as much growth and algae off it and if there is an Eclipse black, that would work really well because a black bottom paint would blend very nicely with the all-black color of the Eclipse and you wouldn't see it much except for the flat color look of the bottom paint, as opposed to something like mine where you have that bit of white bottom gelcoat with black bottom paint.  But when it's in the water, who cares about that?  But if you get a white or lighter color and want to bottom paint it, then it won't blend in unless you get a matching bottom paint color and the brighter ones usually don't work as well as the black.  That anchor is great, I put it on my 276.

24 minutes ago, Hatem said:

8 year old boat that I've had here in New England for 5 years, slipped in salt water for the last 3 years and I've waxed and buffed it ONCE in that whole time.

Try to get away with that in a hotter region with longer seasons.  I'm not going to argue with you, glad it works for you.

On 1/18/2019 at 11:57 AM, mpm330 said:

Yes, very true!! I have black too, and it does buff out with a high shine!!  But the black will show every nick & scratch too.

I will agree with Phillbo, the effects of the sun on my white is worse than on my black. Why I don't know, but after 7 years the black buffs out great where the white I must really work on it. 

2 hours ago, Iggy said:

I will agree with Phillbo, the effects of the sun on my white is worse than on my black.

lol, that's not what he's saying.  He's saying the complete opposite that the effects of the sun are worst on the black than on the white.  How could you have missed that?  Rough night last night?  :haha-7383:

6 hours ago, Futzin' said:

Try to get away with that in a hotter region with longer seasons.  I'm not going to argue with you, glad it works for you.

Hey, you came out and said I was being presumptive.  I showed you proof to support my point and now you don't want to argue because I should just accept what you say without condition?  Not gonna happen, sorry. :)

2 hours ago, Phillbo said:

Sun is your enemy with a black gelcoat. Hatem does not experience the effects of the sun. 

And what you don't understand is that the sun is the enemy of any gelcoat, not just black or darker colors.  You just take the old-school theory that black or darker colors absorb light and heat more than white or lighter colors (which tend to reflect light) and that concept doesn't apply to gelcoat.  Gelcoat fades and reacts the same way no matter what color because of its chemical makeup.  Gelcoat is a polyester resin with pigment in it.  The pigment is what gives it color and has no effect on the resin whatsoever.  The resin is what reacts to the sun and weather in general and since its the same resin with any color, it also reacts the same way. 

And the reason why the maintenance is roughly or even exactly the same is because if you don't occasionally protect the gelcoat with a wax, the RESINS on the surface start to dry out and break up.  That's what causes the fading in time.  It has nothing to do with the color but rather, the material itself.   

When I said black takes more effort I was talking about the fact that black will show the water sports more than white. You have to wash the black more often and wipe down. White and black require the same amount of waxing. 

2 hours ago, Hatem said:

lol, that's not what he's saying.  He's saying the complete opposite that the effects of the sun are worst on the black than on the white.  How could you have missed that?  Rough night last night?  :haha-7383:

Hey, you came out and said I was being presumptive.  I showed you proof to support my point and now you don't want to argue because I should just accept what you say without condition?  Not gonna happen, sorry. :)

And what you don't understand is that the sun is the enemy of any gelcoat, not just the back or darker colors.  You just take the old-school theory that black or darker colors absorb light and heat more than white or lighter colors (which tend to reflect light) and that concept doesn't apply to gelcoat.  Gelcoat fades and reacts the same way no matter what color because of its chemical makeup.  Gelcoat is a polyester resin with pigment in it.  The pigment is what gives it color and has no effect on the resin whatsoever.  The resin is what reacts to the sun and weather in general and since its the same resin with any color, it also reacts the same way. 

And the reason why the maintenance is roughly or even exactly the same is because if you don't occasionally protect the gelcoat with a wax, the RESINS on the surface start to dry out and break up.  That's what causes the fading in time.  It has nothing to do with the color but rather, the material itself.   

On Hatem's comments" 

No, I guess you can't read.  I am agreeing with him. I think your to busy laughing at your self!! Black would be more affected by the sun. Again, I am agreeing with Phillbo, read it again.  BUT, for what ever reason my black is not. Why, I can't tell you. 

Also, Phillbo is right on, you and I have not experienced the affect of the sun since we are in the northeast. 

Futzin, in some ways is right!! Where we live will have an effect on our boats. I do agree with him, not completely. As in any boat, how well is it taken care of?  And you are, to use your words " I was being presumptive."