Water Dawg 6

Signature Owners and Water Leak

I have a Signature 290 and after  a heavy rain I find water under in the port side compartment under my bow berthing area.  I think it maybe coming from my anchor box but don't have a clue.  I did the garden hose trick to try to figure it out but no luck thus far.  Has anyone else had this problem?  If so, where was the intrusion?  Nothing else is wet down in my cabin area except that area.  Thanks everyone.  Finally, purchased new Exhaust manifolds, going to embark on that project in the spring.  By the way, don't purchase anything from BoatPartHeadquarters.  I emailed them and provided them all the serial numbers for my motors, outdrives, ect. and they told me the specific manifolds I will need based on my serial numbers.  Well, when the parts arrived they didn't fit.  So I called the company to do the return and they made me pay the initial shipping, charged me 200 deer for a restocking fee and even though they were based out of Florida, made me mail the parts back to California where they purchased them from.  The shipping to California was 600 deer.  So all in all, I was out almost 1100 deer and the company wouldn't take any responsible for selling me the wrong parts nor offer to assist in at least paying for half the shipping even though they recommended and sold me the wrong parts.  Wife wasn't very happy as you could imagine. 

That sucks.  Sorry to hear about the way that supplier treated you with the exhaust parts.  That's a lot of money for what appears to be a mistake on their part the way you described it.  If they told you exactly what parts you needed based on the info you gave them (and I'm assuming you gave them the correct information of course) and then they send you the wrong parts is not too uncommon, actually,  @#$%@# happens.  But to charge you for the shipping costs of those VERY heavy parts (cast iron) and a restocking fee on top of that is insane.  Maybe split the shipping cost at the most, but the restocking fee is crazy.  What reason did they give you for getting the parts wrong? 

I'm replacing manifolds and risers also this spring.  What engine(s) and what year boat?

You filled up the anchor locker with water and didn't see any come in?  Does the anchor locker have a thru-hull drain or does it drain to the forward bilge? 

The costs of dealing with middle mark up people.

Why I carefully ask the seller who pays for any problems & shipping charges back & forth..  I tell them I am recoding their return procedures.

That causes a hang up. Or a no problem response.  I do read all the return instructions on a new retailer. Then call anyway.

I have had a retailer tell me to trash 2 brand new expensive A C units. 3rd unit is running fine after 3 years.

It does have a through-hull drain.  That company stated that I should have measured my current parts to make sure they fit.  I told him if was a 70 year man would I be climbing down in the engine compartment to take measurements...Um, the answer is no!  I gave them the correct serial numbers, they just didn't want to admin their mistake.  I even told them that I though paying 1/2 the shipping was fare and they still wouldn't.  Anyways, going back out to the boat to do some more garden hose testing on my side Portlight windows to make sure they're not leaking and will put the hose in the anchor box again.  I'll figure it out one way or the other.  Also, I have twin Mercruiser 260HP 5.0 MPIs.  As for your manifolds, order from Basic Power Industries.  They're number is (252) 728-556 and their website is Ebasicpower.com.  There prices were the lowest around and the employees were awesome and very helpful.  Don't know where you live but they're located on Harkers Island here in NC.  They ship parts but I just went and picked them up and saved on shipping.

I had water collecting under the forward cabin bow cushions and some in the storage bins which sounds same as you.  Turns out the hatch gasket was leaking allowing water to run under the headliner and collect under the forward cushions.  I'm referring to the gasket where the metal frame mounts, not the rubber D-shaped gasket on the hinged window.  Unscrewed the hatch and re-sealed and it's been dry ever since. Hope this helps.

On the 290, most common anchor box water leak was at the seam where the anchor box is attached to the hull, under the hatch but on the sidewalls forward. You wouldn't think it.  Ask me how I know.  Only got water inside when it rained.

Search the threads in this forum or PM me.

I had the same problem with my 2006, Signature 310 where water was seeping from the anchor locker down underneath the forward berth. Long story short, empty the anchor locker, clean and buy a can of Flex Seal. One coat and it never leaked again.

On ‎1‎/‎20‎/‎2019 at 11:18 AM, Water Dawg 6 said:

As for your manifolds, order from Basic Power Industries.  They're number is (252) 728-556 and their website is Ebasicpower.com.  There prices were the lowest around and the employees were awesome and very helpful.  Don't know where you live but they're located on Harkers Island here in NC.  They ship parts but I just went and picked them up and saved on shipping.

That's a good site.  Thanks for the info.  keep us posted on the leak so we know in case anyone else asks again.

14 hours ago, Weekend At Bernie's said:

I had the same problem with my 2006, Signature 310 where water was seeping from the anchor locker down underneath the forward berth. Long story short, empty the anchor locker, clean and buy a can of Flex Seal. One coat and it never leaked again.

I love FlexSeal.  And I'm a builder and usually products like that which promise quick fixes don't usually appeal to our kind as much as homeowners and DIY'ers, but there's no denying that stuff works great.

Speaking of anchor locker, the thruhull drain hole that Chaparral drilled at the bottom of the V was about 2 inched higher than the furthest bottom point.  So whenever I got water in there, it wouldn't fully drain and I'd always get that little 2" of water puddle that would sit there forever! lol.  Very annoying.  So I mixed up some epoxy and made some peanut butter and filled that little bit with it and even built up a little pitch to the hole.  Then I mixed up a little gelcot and painted it and now it drains nicely.  Just one of those annoying, SMH things you find here and there. 

I have the same boat. Yes mine leaked here too. Was the windows. I put dielectric grease ( not much) on the rubber seals. No leaks in 3 years. Spraying water on the windows an checking at the same time.