Sign in to follow this  
Badge57ME

Help needed for boater in Maine, Chaparral 280 signature

I have been advised by my marina that I have oil in my lower outdrive of my Volvo Penta GXI.  He advised me that the corrosion is to the point of no repair and simply putting in new seal and bearing won't help.  Any information on new or used, Anything would be great.

Please help 

Do you mean water in the outdrive? There’s supposed to be gear oil in there. Also, what specific outdrive do you have? GXI is a motor suffix for certain Volvo Penta engines.

We will assume that you meant water in the drive oil. If corrosion is that bad in the bottom gear case, I would have to believe that the upper gear case bearing races and roller would also show signs of gauling, as would the contact area of the drive gears. Would hate to see you replace the lower assembly only to see particulate from a failing upper trash the new lower bearings, gears, and even seals. Have they determined how the water got in there in the first place? At the very least they need to do a complete R&R on the upper, and add a new lower. Most times the cost to replace is close to a wash when you compare labor costs. IMHO, Pull the old, save it for parts, have the engine aligned, and install a new drive.  

16 hours ago, Badge57ME said:

I have been advised by my marina that I have oil in my lower outdrive of my Volvo Penta GXI.  He advised me that the corrosion is to the point of no repair and simply putting in new seal and bearing won't help.  Any information on new or used, Anything would be great.

Please help 

Like Curt said, let us know exactly what type of Volvo outdrive it is and what year and what type of water you boat in and even better, go to the marina yourself and take pics of the internal corrosion and of the oil also and post them so we can see the extent the damage he's talking about and be able to guide and help you.  He could be right but he may also be exaggerating the amount of damage.  Without pics and knowing what type of outdrive and limited information from you, we can only guess.  If you can get there and have him show you the oil (if it has water it would be obvious) and have him show you what he is talking about as far as corrosion and take pics of both and post them.  Then we can at least see what's going on an guide you in the right direction.

2 hours ago, Wingnut said:

We will assume that you meant water in the drive oil. If corrosion is that bad in the bottom gear case, I would have to believe that the upper gear case bearing races and roller would also show signs of gauling, as would the contact area of the drive gears. Would hate to see you replace the lower assembly only to see particulate from a failing upper trash the new lower bearings, gears, and even seals. Have they determined how the water got in there in the first place? At the very least they need to do a complete R&R on the upper, and add a new lower. Most times the cost to replace is close to a wash when you compare labor costs. IMHO, Pull the old, save it for parts, have the engine aligned, and install a new drive.  

Yep!

The cost of a new drive may be better in the long run.

Thank you for your reply.  I go Thursday to put hands on and actually see what is going on.  I will definitely  bring this up.  It's been 1 year with this boat and so far this is the biggest issue. The marina has been very upfront and great explaining issues with me.  I will keep you posted.  

Bring on summer

Ken