Sign in to follow this  
scharpestguy

White Smoke / Gauge Cluster / New Owner / 1997 Sunesta 210

I think you might have a boat that someone got frustrated with doing electrical problems.   So the stopped putting in correct sized fuses.  Put in the biggest current rated ones that fit the fuse holders.

Decades ago I helped a person with a melted harness...…… I called the boat company . Described the boat & switches & radio & etc.  I said give me a wiring diagram for a boat with the same controls or more. I told him I would.... White Out..... the circuits that were not needed.   SWEET  SWEET  wiring job.

Piece of cake that way.     :wub:

2 hours ago, cyclops2 said:

Are you kind of getting doubts about which colored wires are to be replaced & where they come & go to ?   WE can help you there. If Chap does not have your wiring diagram.

Chaparral has the diagram but the diagram does not show the routing and placement of wires into TB1 and TB2. See pictures below:

TB2.thumb.jpg.d45a02e75b12c666701e74e22b5be373.jpg

Just now, scharpestguy said:

Chaparral has the diagram but the diagram does not show the routing and placement of wires into TB1 and TB2. See pictures below:

TB2.thumb.jpg.d45a02e75b12c666701e74e22b5be373.jpg

TB2 Wiring.jpg

3 hours ago, cyclops2 said:

I think you might have a boat that someone got frustrated with doing electrical problems.   So the stopped putting in correct sized fuses.  Put in the biggest current rated ones that fit the fuse holders.

Decades ago I helped a person with a melted harness...…… I called the boat company . Described the boat & switches & radio & etc.  I said give me a wiring diagram for a boat with the same controls or more. I told him I would.... White Out..... the circuits that were not needed.   SWEET  SWEET  wiring job.

Piece of cake that way.     :wub:

Cyclops,

What do you mean by "Put in the biggest current rated ones that fit the fuse holders."? Currently there are four fuses the Cabin 10amp, Accessory 10amp, Stereo 10amp, and Memory 7.5amp. All spade fuses. Are you recommending I put in like a 20amp fuse?

I have been reading other forums searching on melted harness and one post suggested disconnecting the ground wire at the engine up to the harness and check each and every connection and clean each connection.  I will try and get this done this Friday as well.

Thanks

I ment the D I Y person working on the boat before you did..

3 hours ago, cyclops2 said:

I ment the D I Y person working on the boat before you did..

Ahh ok!!! Glad to hear that I was scratching my head thinking about how that would work or more like not work out so well. But then your background in electronics had me rethinking it all over again. Will provide an update tomorrow or Saturday.

Be super careful with the heat guns blowing onto …...OTHER SOFT STUFF...……. accidently.

If the wires are brittle and can not be separated without crumbling ?  Carefully grab both none melted ends and …….TRY to rotate the mess to pick off wires in removable condition from the  back side of the bunch.  That might get you down to 3 or 4  wires solidly stuck together.   If they are different colors ?  Great

Hopefully all wires of the same color are really the same voltage.  

Well this morning I installed a battery (old one that came with it, charged it up) and gingerly started testing systems. I had one son in the head sniffing, listening, and keeping his eyes on the wires. I had another son helping out and keeping an eye on things as I flipped switches. Fuel gauge came up slightly and seemed to indicate that the tank was for all intents and purposes very empty. After no smells or any instances of anything bad and confirming the engine would turn over and everything but the radio was working fine we took the boat to the gas station and put in 20 gallons of fresh fuel with some seafoam. Took it to our boat ramp, made sure we installed the drain plug, dipped it in the water and I proceeded to try and start the engine twice. It turned over great but on the third try I gave it quick/small squirt of starting fluid and the engine fired up instantly. It sounded fantastic and ran great for about five minutes in the water. I proceeded to install a bow line and backed the boat in another foot and it floated free of the trailer and I pulled it over to the beach where we picked up my wife.

We then proceeded to take a few laps of the lake and then went over to the Bethy creek side and picked up my two nieces and sister in law and gave them a ride. Boat worked great with the exception of the speedometer (I have the kit to fix), Depth Gauge came on but I don't trust it (seemed way way off), Engine Temp gauge was not working (needle never moved). All the other gauges worked just fine. Boat seemed to take on a little bit of water perhaps through the bellows but I will need to pinpoint this down and make as dry as possible. It wasn't terrible and I had tested the bilge pump but I don't like seeking water come out of the drain plug after having just drained and putting back in the water (with drain plug reinstalled) to reposition boat forward and more water comes out of the drain plug after pulled back out of the water. This indicates to me it is somewhere at the stern.

Thank you to you all for your help. Now I have to diagnose the radio, fix the speedo, fix the engine temp gauge, and finish securing the wires. Then patch a few small places in the haul. Replace the starboard light bulb. Install new drain pipe in the cooler and sink, pressure wash everything and polish the hull, clean the seats, etc.. etc... but I do believe we have a runner!!! Kids are super happy and the wife is happier (I think ;-))