Reeves

Replacing the fuel water separator

I have a 230 Suncoast.  This is my first off-season owning the boat.  It has 70 hours on it.  I am trying to replace the fuel water separator, but I cannot do anything to get that separator to twist off.  It seems stuck.  It is in a hard to reach area.  Does anyone have any tips to help loosen it's grip or any other thoughts in general about how important this separator is to change out every season?

1 hour ago, Reeves said:

I have a 230 Suncoast.  This is my first off-season owning the boat.  It has 70 hours on it.  I am trying to replace the fuel water separator, but I cannot do anything to get that separator to twist off.  It seems stuck.  It is in a hard to reach area.  Does anyone have any tips to help loosen it's grip or any other thoughts in general about how important this separator is to change out every season?

I'm going to assume you have Yamaha power and as such are trying to remove their spin-on fuel filter - Yamaha part # mar-fuelf-il-tr

If so, recommend getting a good quality oil filter wrench to aid in removal. NOTE: flip the old filter upside down and empty the old fuel into a clean container to see if there is any sign of water or debris trapped. Once a spin-on fuel filter has been emptied in such a manner, it should never be reinstalled back on the boat as doing so could allow trapped particles to enter the fuel system.

I typically change them once a season unless a problem is experienced, but most people up here don't put anywhere near the engine hours on in a season that your area would.

Image result for oil filter wrench

OR use what they call a "band" wrench. Its like a big rubber band thats adjustable.  

Those tend to work better, at least for me.

Another trick. Put a cut piece of sandpaper between the wrench and filter. Often this gives that extra bite needed to break the filter loose. They tend to get stuck when the gasket isn’t lubricated, over torqued or when on longer than about a year. 

Also be careful about spilling the fuel.  This maintenance task has been the basis for several boat fires int he past. 

Can the filter be replumbed to a better  higher up location ? Some simple support brackets might be needed.

And if this is a standard type spin on that was installed incorrectly  you may have to remove the complete assembly, drain, heat area where rubber O ring is ,then twist off.

When installing, OIL the rubber ring AND HAND TIGHTEN ONLY

Also.   NEVER use 2 gaskets under the filter. It WILL CAUSE a leak some times. Been there on a car . Oil leak right down driveway & street. :haha-7383:

Just changed mine this weekend on a 4.3 MPI Mercruiser.   Had to use a wrench to remove - gasket wasn’t lubricated.   I lubricated the new filter gasket with some 25W-40 oil and hand tightened.    

Remember to put new fuel in the new filter before screwing on.   My engine started, but stalled out and would’t kick over.   I assume vapor lock.   When I put fuel in the filter and re-installed it, it fired off and ran smooth.

How  to save a battery & engine starter.  Way to do it.  Some guys put in very over sized fuel filters and do not pre fill them.

Oh well